the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / FunFest Dune Buggy Build / Wiring and Electrical planning (15814 hits)
By John S 2 Date 2008-02-18 03:35
This thread will be a open notebook on planning the wiring. I am open to any and all suggestions.
I also want to post the pre-planning and prep work in each of these areas, so everyone can follow the progress.
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-02-18 13:09
what gauges will be used? Stereo? if so will you be running an amp? just a head unit? no head unit (Ipod only into an amp)? Will you be planning a "start" switch to work off the ignition or simply use the start position of the ignition to start the car? What manufacturer gages will you be running? Which gauges will you use? (Important to know if these gauges will be mechanical or electrical)

Also what other ancillary electrical items will you be planning? CB? Lighted Buggy Whip? Neon under glow lighting? (argh) Navigation unit? etc etc. These will need to be included in the planning of the wiring.
By John S 2 Date 2008-02-21 15:30
I have a set of Classic Instruments white face gauges.
Other than that, I am really planning to run basically a Stock '67 VW wiring harness.

I don't want to go to electrical controller modules ect... whatever...

Just nice and easy VW wiring.

Stock column and turnsignal switch.
Stock wiper motor.
Stock headlight switch.
Stock flasher switch.

I do need to got to a grounding block.
And I am thinking of upgrading the fuse block, maybe.
founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-03-16 21:42
These are the Manx lights on the front.
Now I know they are VW but what???
I need new seals and lens.

Any clues??
founder
By Kustoms Date 2008-03-16 23:22
"These are the Manx lights on the front.
Now I know they are VW but what???
I need new seals and lens.

Any clues?? "

Ya, They are called Delusional's.  They are called that because the only people that can see them are those who own them.
By John S 2 Date 2008-03-21 03:53 Edited 2008-03-24 05:34
Here are the lights my Manx was first born (built) with.
This will be it's 40th birthday in April.

Are they Ghia lights????
Anyone know where to look???

founder
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2008-03-29 03:14
John,
Those look like Ghia lights. Don't know where to get them but my Manx came with Lucas L594 glass beehive lights. The glass is very retro and original looking in my opinion.

By John S 2 Date 2008-03-31 15:41 Edited 2008-04-20 03:12
I know this going to sound so dumb, but how do I determine how many circuits I need for the wiring.
I am trying to get everything bought this week.

I bought a Marine 10 circuit block.

Total Circuit Quantity:10
founder
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2008-03-31 16:42
John,
As we have discussed, I use an 8 circuit system. I use 6 circuits to run the buggy and I have two left over for a radio (one constant, one keyed). It serves the most basic of functions (ie: headlights, horn, brakes, wipers, ignition, and blinkers). In my opinion a 12 would be more than enough and an 8 just enough.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-03-31 21:14
Um, yah... this is one of those situations where you're going to thank yourself later on for going overboard now. I went with a Painless fuse panel and its something like 12 circuits I believe. Now on my second season, I've added things I thought I never would when putting it together last year.

I say go bigger on the fuse panel now and you will have room to ad things years down the road.

Jay
By Rayth O 670 Date 2008-03-31 21:39
hey John,  That kit will be fine. It uses the same fuse boxes I use ($3.99 Advance auto parts)  and you can just add a box if needed.  I put 2 together in both the buggy and Cimbria but will add a third in the Cimbria for all the other stuff I`m going to run.
MidAmerica Funfest May 31-June 1 2008
THE buggy event of 2008, BE THERE!!!!
By John S 2 Date 2008-04-04 03:55
I went with a 10 circuit. Sounded like it would be a good middle ground.
It is a Marine set up. Probably overkill but, anti corrosion will be nice.
Trying to get to Radhsak to make sure I can get terminal blocks.
I have an RV shop across the street from work going out of business 60% off everything.
I am trying to get over there and have a look at wiring stuff they might have.

Can't even get off the phone long enough to go to lunch lately. 7:30 to 9:30 most days.
John
founder
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-04-05 02:11
Hang in there John... It'll all be worth it to get the buggy together, get to meet many of the members, and relax a little while the volunteers wrench on your son's ride. :-)

Jay
By John S 2 Date 2008-04-11 19:09
Found a good deal on some relays like Jeff had talked to me about so I bought them.
Also found a thread ont he Samba from Tominator.
I got some great wiring ideas from his under hood set up.
I get some notes up here soon.
founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-05-20 18:31
Found a good deal on a complete Painless wiring harness today.
So I bought it. With the fuse block I have and the guts of the '67 harness,
Some extra wire and a ton of connectors and shrink tube, I think we can make this work.

Since time is short, (we will only have about 36 hrs) for the build I thought it would be worth it.
John
founder
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-05-21 00:05
Sounds good John. We'll make it work! :-)

Jay
Previous Next Up Topic Public / FunFest Dune Buggy Build / Wiring and Electrical planning (15814 hits)