the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Berry Mini T (7308 hits)
By Bill D 717 Date 2008-01-03 03:08 Edited 2009-07-10 14:47
I just picked up one of these  Mini T's and am trying to locate a soft top (bimini type) and framework for it. It's a two seater. If anyone out there has one or knows  someone with one. I am willing to rent(to use as a template for a custom one off piece), borrow or buy. Also am looking for original side mirror(s). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Southern California, but that's not a problem as I will pay shipping BOTH ways. And oh yeah, are there any of these VW shows/get togethers out this way?
Thanks.
Bill
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-01-17 01:13
Hi Bill. Unless the Mini T was sold with particular mirrors, it was left up to the builder to provide them. Hopefully someone will be able to assist you in getting a top if even for measurements... However, if you find that isn't working out, I would go to a boatyard/canvas shop. They should have hardware available or be able to source hardware and would certainly have the capability to sew you up a nice top.

In order to be sure the frame looks good on the buggy, have them make the bows and you inspect it before they cut & sew the top.

The bows can be "laid out" from the windshield with a strip of duct tape to hold each bow in the position that you want. Then the finished ribs will be just as you like.

Good luck.
Jay
By Dave E 1496 Date 2009-04-19 17:38
Bill, I know it's a bit late, but I just purchased an old school show car that is complete and original the day it was finished over 30yrs ago...it might be a couple of months before I can get it home but can say that the tops frame components are identical to a Bimini top you would find at a boat shop...if you are still interested, I could duplicate a template from 1/2" conduit and you would not need to return the parts...I could also take some pictures so you can see how mine is done...will say mine looks very old school with a rake up towards the rear...looks very cool...I could also take some measurements as well...let me know....later.
By AS2110 Date 2009-05-22 04:04
Bill, I have a Mini T that has a top.  I also have an extra top without the frame if you want to buy it.  I can help you make a copy of the frame that I do have or help you with the measurements if you plan on having a new top made. 
By chris o 1613 Date 2009-06-10 04:59 Edited 2009-06-10 05:03
don't mean  to hijack  the  post but i  also  have  a mini  t ...actually an  action  t ..but  i  would  love  to some  pics! love  the  old  school  stuff ..lets  see  yours  dave!
By chris o 1613 Date 2009-06-10 05:01
hey  andreas!  did  you get  rid  of  that top ? ii  need  one  as  well  thanks!
By chris o 1613 Date 2009-07-08 00:43
hi!  wondering if  you still have  the  mini t  top  for  sale?  thanks  chris
By Bill D 717 Date 2009-11-03 04:24
I am still trying to locate a top for my mini T. Anybody out there have one laying around? Pleae contct me at bdegaine@aol.com , thanks. Bill
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-11-04 04:39 Edited 2009-11-04 04:45
I just bought this T, the man said it was a berry T, but I believe it is a kellison copy without the name, previous owner cut the back out but it did not say kellison, but it is definitly a copy, It uses a bimini type top, but is custom made with back window sewed in, has the bead inside the material at front to slide in winshield frame, uses roll bar for support and has the chrome twist latches at back instead of snaps , easy as pie to take on and off takes like 1 minute, here is a picture, If anyone needs better pictures I can take them, not shown in picture is the rear wing that is on it now a shortened 84 trans am rear wing, I think I will put air shocks on it to straighten up the rear tires, unless someone has a better idea,    Ken.......

By Kellison Jim Date 2009-11-04 04:47
Ken, Good looking buggy! How was the trip to WV? If you can, please send me or post a pic of the dash, especially the passenger side.
Jim
Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-11-04 15:38 Edited 2009-11-04 16:02
Hi Jim, trip was nice, rained most the way, went in the tunnel in va. in the rain ,came out of the tunnel into west va. and the sun was shining, strange huh, raining on one side of the mountain, and sunny on the other side, then it started raining again about 45 minutes down the road, stopped raining long enough to unload and load the buggy, so all and all it was a good trip, I had to take off the front bumper to use the tow bar but no big deal, I havent had time to take pictures yet, the dash has the oval but he put the am, fm, cd right dead center of the oval, I saw a post on dba with a kellison copy with ovals with no name, I believe that is what this buggy is, but I will post some pictures soon, thanks Ken. ( in the pictures are the man and woman I bought it from )  bill and his son built it for her, she is 5' 4" so I have to restructure the seating situation, he has speaker inclosures behind the seats, and the battery is under the passenger seat, I thought about doing the wrap around seat like on T bucket roadsters and relocating the battery, either that or I will look like one of Ed Roths monsters driving it ha ha, poor girl started crying when we pulled out of the parking lot with it, she is having hip problems and cant drive it anymore, they are great people.              Ken.........

By John S 2 Date 2009-11-05 15:52
Ken where did you meet the folks? On I 77?

Thats mine home turf. Had I been paying attention I would have headed by to say Hi.

Great looking buggy, congrats!
John
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-11-06 04:49
Ken,
Here are the brackets I was talking about.
Jim

Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-11-06 13:22
Hi john, If I had known that I would have tryed to meet you, we meet them at exit 138 ripley west va. Whats up JIM, hope everything is going well, I guess that is your seat brackets, I figured I would have to mount them higher up to get behind that big hump at back of floor pan, nice brackets, you are doing a first rate job on that Kellison, I would like to find some seats like yours , it looks like that indention at the bottom of the seat back would make for more room, these Ts are small inside and at 6' I have to have a seat set back as far as I can, thanks for any advice you can give,           Ken.........
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-11-08 02:32
I put the T in a vw show today, it got 2nd place trophy, not to bad for having a cracked windshield and the headers needing paint, I guess I should have at least shined up the tires. It got a lot of compliments on the top, which is where this post started anyway.     Ken..........
By John S 2 Date 2009-11-08 04:44
Thats too funny.
We live off of Exit 176 38 miles up the road from where you were.
I knew that was the Ripley Shoneys in the pics.
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-11-08 17:06
Yea John if I had known that we could have got together, maby we could meet around fancy gap or something sometimes, maby go thru the woods around those toll roads, lol just kidding about the tolls it was worth the money to cut up with them, they had the speed limit signs black taped over at the first one so I asked the guy was it like the autobaun with no speed limit, and do they have out houses on side of the road, he told me to get the hell out of his line, and I couldnt resist asking the last gal to wash the winshield and check the oil, I think they were glad to see me headed back south.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Berry Mini T (7308 hits)