the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy ID Help needed - X-Files / X-0054: Strange hood scoop, need help identifying buggy. (8032 hits)
By Justin W 603 Date 2007-09-07 18:40 Edited 2009-02-06 23:16
I got this buggy for free, it's sitting at a friends house and I  haven't seen it in person yet.  He says it looks like it's for a full length pan, but the pics make it look like a short pan buggy.  I aint got a clue what kind it is. HELP PLEASE!!

I tried the little tool on this site to ideentify it, but no such luck.
By LoCashJohn Date 2007-09-07 19:14
I've got no idea, but it looks cool.  It does look to be a short body, not a long.  Sorry I can't help more, but post pics as you build it.
<a href="http://www.LoCashRacing.Org">http://www.LoCashRacing.Org</a>
More brains than bucks...
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-09-10 19:51 Edited 2007-09-10 20:02
the hood without the little triangle type scoop looks like an Allied fiberglass with the way the ridges are curved in and flare out again. In one of the shots, the hood is off. Is the scoop original or was this possibly a mod?

EDIT: On closer look, it looks like the triangle is original, based only on the rest of the fiberglass repair quality.
It has an interesting step on the entry sill at the rear seat. Also, it resembles an Allied in the rear with the addition of the small box section.

There are enough differences from an allied... it looks to me that whatever company made this, it may have used an allied as a base for the mold.

It has potential.

Jay
By Justin W 603 Date 2007-09-10 21:09 Edited 2007-09-10 21:15
as far as I know, the hood scoop is original, I haven't actually gotten it home yet, so I'm also basing this solely on the photos.  Hopefully once I get it home, I can provide more clues or pictures.

After looking at the allied 40-4 photos, I agree, the hood is almost identical except for the scoop.  Also the rear is identical except for the center box.  The body it's self differs with the steps like you mentioned and also there is a spare tire place molded opposite the battery box.  May be an allied based clone, not sure yet, but that's one step closer to finding out.  Thanks.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-09-11 01:40
The well that has been added is typically referred to as the spare tire well. This is square, not rounded and odd shaped, like most of them are (the ones that have them anyway). This is another clue that this may have been "added" on from the original design.

Jay
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-02-06 23:07
Hey Justin,
Any more info on this hood triangle? If you could take a photo from the underside that would help in determining if it was added to an Allied hood.

Jay
By Dylan L 2610 Date 2011-02-18 02:06
This another one. I just got it. Built on a '67 Chassis.

By chris f 2962 Date 2011-10-24 15:40
I have this same buggy.  My scoop has been shaved off.  I can see that it was there.  I also have the small step in front of the rear tire.

Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy ID Help needed - X-Files / X-0054: Strange hood scoop, need help identifying buggy. (8032 hits)