the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Piston weight and position on engine (816 hits)
By Thomas B 2944 Date 2017-05-15 01:55
Greetings to All,
     Getting ready to install my new pistons and cylinders so I have a question for those in the know.
I have weighed my piston assemblies, with my wife's counter top scale, and came up with the following weights:

Piston A     554 grams
Piston B     555 grams
Piston C     553 grams
Piston D     552 grams

They are all new Mahle P/C in a 1776 build with new balanced CW chrome-moly crankshaft and new balanced rods, all from C. B. Performance. The Engine is strictly street use, just a little highway driving once in a while.

Question:
     Would it be wise to place piston assemblies of comparable weights opposite each other such as:

Pistons A and B at cylinders 1 and 3 positions.
Pistons C and D at cylinders 2 and 4 positions.
     This positioning would attain a 1 gram difference.

Or should I grind to remove weight? Which then leads to the question of where to remove the weight?

I am not very trusting of the food/postal scale, which does not seem to have the accuracy that I would trust in removing material, so hence the question. Should I grind to get them spot on or would I gain enough to take the time/chance? I have put many engines, air cooled small engines and water cooled automobile engines together but this is my first "Performance" engine. I must say their is quite a difference between performance parts and off the shelf parts. A lot more to think about.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Tom
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Piston weight and position on engine (816 hits)