the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Have you seen this or done this before? (1250 hits)
By Thomas B 2944 Date 2016-11-15 02:42
     If you have looked at my buggy build, "Bump Stop Repair Procedure", you may have notice that I mentioned that I constructed a small heater to heat the Trex plastic. I am not going to bore you with a lot of details on it but I wanted to know if anyone else has ever done or heard about the following technique for making straight cut in steel up to 3/16 inch thick. I used the technique to make the heater's inner shelf.
     Years ago while I was teaching a course called "Design and Fabrication" the class was constructing scale, radio controlled, string trimmer or electric motor cars to race on the high school's outdoor track. The students were required to construct drive trains, steering and suspension, bodies and frames. Much of the metal work required cutting steel up to around 3/16 of an inch. Throughout the course students would break many abrasive cut-off wheels. Budgets were slim and as instructors we needed to come up with an alternative cutting device that was cheap but worked well.
     The metals instructor said that he had read about using an ordinary plywood cutting blade to cut steel up to ". At the time none of us had ever heard of it before. So we tried an 8 inch plywood blade as a cut-off wheel and found it to work well. It didn't leave a nice smooth surface like the abrasive blade but, it was nice for what we needed, and cheap to boot. You will need to wear eye and ear protection. Goes without saying. Right guys?
     Tom

Attachment: P8272565.jpg (171.7k)
Attachment: P8272566.jpg (183.3k)
Attachment: PB142606.jpg (149.9k)
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Have you seen this or done this before? (1250 hits)