the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / BAll Joints (14643 hits)
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-21 09:31
Just had ball joints installed all 4, man the steering is tight. My mechanic said it will loosen up with time. My Question is WHEN, any body else have then done with that result and how long did it take to loose up. I cant afford to go back and put in the other ones for lowered cars.  Heck it was scary towing with the tow bar cause the tires didnt want to turn, I hope it gets better soon. My arms are getting a workout.    I did have the front tires rebalanced yesterday and it seemed to help the smoothness of the ride. Plus I lowered the front tires down to 15 psi thats about has far as want to take it.
By AMAC1680 Date 2015-06-21 10:42
I did my upper and lowers last month and it really cleaned up the slop as they were beyond shot.
I don't notice that they are now "tight" as you describe. Mine tows, rolls smooth.

Be Big,
AMAC
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-21 13:07
What brand did you use? My mechanic said that he uses the ones from Brazil. The bug came with coil over shocks I guess they were used to lift the body up cause I read some where that the Allison came with 13 inch wheels in the front cause 14  's would scrub. which brings me to this about caster of the front beam , dont know if I'm thinking right about that or not still learning.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-06-21 13:11
is the buggy lowered? If so then how and how much?

If its lowered lot then having ball joint bind can be a dangerous condition because they can fail.
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2015-06-21 13:38
What brand was the ball joints?  We had some Febi ones put in a couple of years ago, and the car was almost undriveable.  Had to take them out and put in TRW.  If they are super tight to start with, it would take a very long time to "loosen up".  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-21 13:58
No its not lowered, I think its been raised due to the 14 inch tire in the front there still a good bit of room between the tire and fender. Just wondering if raising for that purpose binds on the ball joints. The mechanic who is a VW mechanic said they would loosen up. I trust him, but he did nt make any more of a comment than that. I can steer it but wish it were a little easier.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-06-21 22:43
Well if you trust him then what is the issue?
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-22 01:30
Just the steering being tight, just seeing if anyone else had this after theirs was installed and see how long to took to loosen up if there is such a thing. Seems more responsive though driving straight down the road , but if the tires want track in turns on the tow bar Ill have trailer it until its gets better. But hopefully it want be needing anything any time soon.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-06-22 02:42
Well like Tom said...if that is really what it is its going to take a long time for them to loosen up. Even more so if you are just trailering it.
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-22 09:52
Oh I kinda forgot about that part of Toms post, it will be alright just take some getting use to. It does drive better at highway speed getting the tires balanced helped to. Thanks for your time and input.
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-23 10:47
Ok, been doing some reading wondering if my front end needs caster shims under the front beam, alot of what I read is their needed if the rear is higher than the front. The buggy is a full pan. I read were if the buggy want return after a turn that it made need the shims.  Mine diffidently want return after a turn. Any thoughts on the shims. 
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-06-23 13:38
Tough to understand your post. Does it want to return after taking a turn or does it not want to?

Extra caster (to a degree) is nice. The shims are cheap and its a 15 minutes job to install them.
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-23 16:38
It does not  want to return you have to steer it back straight. or put the effort in to help it go back straight.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-06-23 17:42
Well with a suspension that is working correctly (not binding ball joints) adding some caster will help the car come back to center.

Depending on how tight your ball joints are that might be the reason it does not want to return. Also, if your steering box has been adjusted too tight that too would effect it.

So, if everything is adjusted correctly and working well, then adding caster to a dropped buggy will help with stability at speed and returning to center.
By AMAC1680 Date 2015-06-23 18:26
How was it before the ball joints were replaced ?
Did you do anything else to the front end along with the balls  ?

I know this is simplistic but if the problem started after the ball joint job and it drove ok before the job then I'd go back to the ball joints.
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-23 19:12
The ball joints were loose the lower right was real bad I could hear it clunking when I went over uneven surfaces slow. Plus see it move when I jacked it up. Got the rag joint replaced also had some cracks in the one that was on it. He repacked the wheel bearing also thats it. I dont think he messed with the steering box he would have told me. I wish I knew they were going to come out like this or knew about the ball joints for low riders I think that would have been better right away . Ill get it figured out .
By Dave C 4367 Date 2015-06-23 19:48
I run my front 15 inch skinny tires 165/80 at 12 lbs of air each. I would jack up the front end so the tires are free from the floor. Then check your steering. See if its still stiff.
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-23 19:57
Ok will do, I lowered them to 15 was at 20, mine are skinny to their BFG dont remember the size I think mine are 14 's
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-24 00:20
My buggy has coil over front shocks on the front,  when I bought it, it rides fair I know from reading that is'nt real desired on a buggy. I was wondering if I get a pair of old stock shocks would that help  the suspension work easier to break in the ball joints and make it ride alittle better. Like I said it doesn't ride to bad now. The coils are at the lowest point now. I did talk to the mechanic he said that the shims may help and he had some in stock. I 'm off next Friday so I asked was he going to be open next Friday its the 4th weekend he said that he didnt know yet. He's a one man shop. So I may drive over there and let him put them in. I know its easy if he closed I may see if he can mail them to me. Hes  about 50 miles away. It's a nice ride over there.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-06-24 00:43
There is no reason to have coil over shocks on the front of any street driven buggy. None.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2015-06-24 01:17
Everyone's ball joints are too tight. Doesn't matter who you buy them from. I doubt very much they will free up if they are binding. The cases are too small on the inside and everything gets crushed together when the B/Js are pressed into the arms. We gave up using anything but the ones for lowered cars. Moog, Febi, whitebox, they are all made too tight. Suspension parts don't wear in, they wear out.

brad
By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-24 09:39
Yea Jeffery I understand about the shocks, like I said they were on there when I bought it two years ago, the ride is not that bad or Im just use to it. So I'm going to get a pair of used oil filled shocks to put on. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised if it rides even better. I was sitting here thinking about flexing out some time from work to drive over there to his shop. At of all the used parts he has in that back building he has to have some old shocks. He's reasonable on things like that. He gave me a 67 breather and recently gave me a floor mat.  As for the ball joints I'll just go with it.
By Michael T 1299 Date 2015-06-25 19:59
Take the shocks off, remove the springs, put the shocks back on. Save money.

Mike T

By Vince P 3261 Date 2015-06-26 01:17
I got the used shocks today and put them on it rides a little better. I don't know how old they and don't care my mechanic had them in his storage building so the finish isn't that bad. I also bought some caster shims and the longer bolts, but I may wait cause a friend of mine who retired from running his own shop has one lift left but he only goes down there on Thursday and Fridays to clean up and piddle around . So I may see if he s going to be there next Friday since I'm off and put the shims then. I know I could do it here but it would give me a chance to visit with him
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / BAll Joints (14643 hits)