the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Berry Mini T fiberglass body repair HELP!!! (5960 hits)
By ChadBuggy Date 2015-04-16 01:27
Ok. So I just picked up a Berry Mini T body that is in decent shape, needs some filler and sanding, which is not a problem at all, but one thing that stuck out before I got the buggy was the fact that someone at some point in the history of the body decided to take a saw to the rear deck extension and cut the WHOLE THING OFF just to the rear of the fender attachments! I got such a great deal on the body that I bought it anyway with hopes that someone would be able to give me some direction as to what I might be able to do to rebuild that rear deck. Not for structural weight bearing purposes but just to restore the deck to its original shape and length so I can mount taillights and license plate.

Can anyone give me some direction?
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-04-16 03:03
Pictures would be the first step. It will help see how much of an issue you are facing.
By ChadBuggy Date 2015-04-18 01:01
Thanks Jeffrey. wasnt sure I would hear back from anyone. here are some pictured of the body, not attached, just resting on the chassis. in addition, whoever owned it last used round stock on the outer frame rails of the chassis instead of square stock. I need some help as I have built Baja bugs in the past, but they dont take any shortening or anything too intrusive. I could use all the help I can get! Thanks

Attachment: 3.jpg (37.2k)
Attachment: 2.jpg (35.2k)
Attachment: 4.jpg (34.8k)
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2015-04-18 03:40 Edited 2015-04-18 03:43
Wow...that's a huge chunk that is missing. I have done a lot of glassing and I think you are in trouble.

You are going to need a replacement piece to graft on. Unless you have some mad skills its going to be tough to get anything symmetrical.

Maybe you could contact Acme:

http://acmecarco.com/berrien-buggy/fiberglassbuggies/dune-buggies/roadster-t

And see if they would sell you a section of a body.
By Zach Date 2015-07-24 06:50
I also have a mini t so I'm curious if you've came up with anything yet on this project. I can give you measurements if it would help you out.
By Billy K 4281 Date 2015-08-01 17:46
Your best bet is to build the shape you want out of wood or foam . then glass over it all . the PO cut out the center of my rear deck . but it works for me as I plan on building a small truck type space to carry tools ect.
By ChadBuggy Date 2016-01-29 18:31
Very cool! Thank you to SANDHOPPER from TheSamba.com for the body and windshield frame/glass. Got it back to Vegas in one piece.

Wanted to get back to our forum because I noticed something on BOTH of the bodies I now have (the one that I had before that was hacked up, and the awesome whole on I have now).

The inside tub on both of them, at the shoulder seam where the seats would be tucked under the upper body rim, is separated and bulging out with fiberglass chop. Not sure if they were laid up this way when they came from Berry, or if that is a result of sun and wear over the years since they were molded.

Is this normal? Seems like it will pose a problem when moving forward with the interior upholstering when I get to that.

I can get pictures up to show what I am referring to, but do you know of anyone who had experienced this issue on their Mini T builds or any other buggy build for that matter?
By Kellison Jim Date 2016-01-31 01:28
Chad, please post some photos of the situation you're talking about. I had a Kellison Super T a few years back and might be able to help you.
Kellison Jim
By ChadBuggy Date 2016-08-09 04:03
Hey Jim. I think I got the pictures up but also now have another question. I do believe it's berry mini t, but there are no labels like on the mini t. All in all, I was wondering if there is any information about separating the inner tub from the body, as the body I have, now that I've shortened my chassis, is warped on the tub. They need to be separated to get them sitting straight. Any help with this would be awesome
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Berry Mini T fiberglass body repair HELP!!! (5960 hits)