the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / new member with bizare project (3083 hits)
By spitbuggy Date 2014-10-03 15:33
hello, my name is Vic and I joined this group to give me some insight into my project
and also to see if others have gone the same route as I am taking.
I purchased a 1968 triumph spitfire a few months ago sight unseen for very little money.
as expected it was a pile of rust on a solid frame with an engine that I had running in
about 2 hours. after cutting the body off the next thing was to design a body I could live
with as a daily driver (35-40 mpg). going on craigslist, I typed in dune buggy body,
knowing all to well that they are all rear engine drive. the first thing that popped up
was an add for a Joe Poty sand rover with a T buggy hood. 4 seater in solid shape for
$400.00. I drove 135 miles and bought it.the triumph frame had a 83" wheelbase, and
was shortened to 80". after the engine and trans were reinstalled the fire wall was cut out
to allow the body to move forward as needed to center the fenders above the axles. as of
now I am still in a whirlwind of ideas, but "SPITBUGGY" is moving along from idea to a
viable dune buggy. I don't who will be more upset the buggy purists or the triumph people.
I will add pictures as I see they might interest anyone who might try this concept.

Attachment: dunebuggy.jpg (50.5k)
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2014-10-03 23:43
Front engine Dune buggy, interesting Idea.  Look forward to before, during and after pictures.
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-10-04 02:14
I've been buggying for over 46 years, and my buggy is an original, but I can't possible imagine anyone being upset with the project you have taken on. You sir are definitely a purist in that no one that I can ever recall has taken on a similar endeavor. Congratulations and keep us up to date on your Spitbuggy. I personally love it.......
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / new member with bizare project (3083 hits)