the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / Putting on alternator?? (2555 hits)
By Danny F 4160 Date 2014-09-26 13:41 Edited 2014-09-26 13:48
So the alternator came in the other day,just waiting on the other parts to get here today,i got a electric fuel pump,carb spacer and fuel block off plate.My question is will i need a fuel pump regulator,the fuel pump is 2.5 fluctuating to 3 psi.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2014-09-26 14:32 Edited 2014-09-26 14:34
It depends on the carbs you are running. For a stock carb 3 psi is fine.

Make sure you wire the electric pump into some sort of safety cut off device that will shut the power off to it in case of an accident
By Danny F 4160 Date 2014-09-29 21:54
Ok,i got everything done the the only thing i have left to do is run the idiot light wire which i already have ran to the front of the bug,now the idiot light is already hooked up,it has 2 wires red and black,the black wire goes to the fuse box and the red wire goes th the negative on the coil,the bulb never shuts off but i never knew it because it fell behind the dash so i couldn`t see it,i pulled the wire off the coil and attached it to the alternator just to see if it and it does i start it up an second later the light goes out tge volt meter on the dash read a little over 14,my question is why was that wire going to the negative in the coil?
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2014-09-30 02:34
Your indicator light should be wired to the "run" tab on your ignition switch and to the small tab on the alternator. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which spot.

Here is how it works.....
- When the alternator is at rest and not charging the small tab on the alternator provides a ground signal to the indicator light.
- When you turn the key to the "run" position (motor not running) the indicator light gets a + signal from the key and a - signal from the alternator...so it lights.
- Once the motor starts and you jab the throttle the little tab on the alternator goes from a - charge to a + charge.
- Since your indicator light now has 2 + charges coming to it (from the ignition switch and the alternator) the light goes out (it can't light without a - charge).

Make sure your light is an incandescent light and not a LED. The LED does not draw enough to excite the alternator.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / Putting on alternator?? (2555 hits)