the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / NEW WIRING HARNESS.....!! (8360 hits)
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-04-07 21:49
I am removing all the wiring from my '68 Road Runner Dune Buggy. There original harness came from the '58 beetle donor car. To say it is a mess would be an understatement. So, I want to start over. Problem is I am not good at automotive wiring. 

I checked into Painless Wiring, but the cost is out of sight.  Has anyone tried any other company that makes wiring harnesses and how many fuse outlets would I need for a Street Buggy?  I have turn signals, headlights, ignition switch, brake lights, radio, cigarette lighter outlet,  dimmer switch, speedometer, 2 gauge lights, wiper motor and a dashlight. No heater or AC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachment: THEYLLCOME.jpg (176.6k)
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2014-04-07 22:15
Try Rebel. They make a quality harness with good support.

For a basic buggy I would say 8 circuits. 10-12 would not be excessive.
By Kellison Jim Date 2014-04-07 23:27
Kellison Jim
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-04-08 00:45
Thanks Jeffery & Kelison Jim,

I going to order the 9+3 kit tomorrow. Sounds like just what I had in mind. This "Lil' Bugger" will be back on the road this summer thanks to fellas like you guys. Even goin' to give her a new coat of paint. It sat all last summer while I was recovering from a major heart attack so I had the engine rebuilt, then I decked it all out in chrome and now can't wait to drive it for the 46th year. Just re-installed the engine and now tearing into the wiring.

Once upon a time (like when I was young) I drove it into my shop, pulled the engine and replaced it with another and drove it out in 28 minutes flat. Those days are gone. This time took me nearly 4 hours.  But I did it alone..!!

THANKS AGAIN...................................
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-04-08 17:12
I just ordered a harness from Rebel and they have a kit that is specifically made for a VW  (rear engine) application. I should have it in a week or so. They also sound great to work with.

Thanks again
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2014-04-08 17:43
I used a Rebel kit recently.  The reason it is cheaper than a Watson's Streetworks is that it is missing a lot of the parts.  No ground wires & no connectors.  Quality was good and the schematic was OK after you figured it out.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2014-04-08 17:45
Yes...don't forget all the grounds and a system to ensure they all work.
By Kenny U 2150 Date 2014-04-09 01:53
I also used Rebel harness. Great people to deal with . They added extra wires for my water temp gauge, electric fan  and tach  free . good easy to understand diagram
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-04-09 03:09
Great information, keep it coming.....Maybe I'll learn how to wire this little car after all.

Actually looking forward to doing it now.
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-04-21 19:46
Got my Rebel harness (VW) and today I bought a good set of terminal ends and connectors.

Next is the journey into auto-electricity world...............   Yikes.....
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2014-04-21 19:52
Don't forget the shrink wrap! I like to use some on the end of each of the terminals, to cover the plastic and onto the wire.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell it in long rolls.
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-05-07 10:35
Thanks, I will................
By bob P 3255 Date 2014-08-16 21:59
We have a Harbor FreigHt about 30 miles away and I found a whole kit of terminal clips and I also bought a lot of shrink wrap. I have now clamped all of the terminal ends and added shrink wrap on each. Now working on the
fuel system which I am about done with. Then I'll replace the hood, dash and front lights. Everything electrical has tested out great.

FOR SOMEONE WHO CRINGES AT THE THOUGHT OF AUTOMOTIVE WIRING, I HAVE IT ALL PUT TOGETHER AND JUST THINKING IT OUT WAS A TRIP, BUT IT LOOKS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL WIRING. I USED THE REBEL WIRING HARNESS KIT AND JEREMY FROM REBEL HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP. NO REGRETS.............
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / NEW WIRING HARNESS.....!! (8360 hits)