the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Another steering column Question (822 hits)
By Jeremy N 3622 Date 2013-04-25 05:01
I have read on here i do beleive that a steering column from an older cavalier or like body style works good for these types of buggys. i have on just have to remove it. but does anyone have any pictures on on installed?
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2013-04-25 13:27
I used a tilt column from a Chevette once on an old Sterling kit car. My last buggy used a Flaming River tilt column and my current Deserter will have an off brand chrome tilt column.

Anything other than stock will require a custom fabricated joint at the box and will likely cost more than a stock VW column in the long run.

The real question is why? The older VW columns work perfectly and are very clean, especially with the wiring mod. You really want the smallest tube possible.
By Jeremy N 3622 Date 2013-04-25 13:39
wiring mod?
well my problem is that i really dont have a good VW column yet but have access to this GM column
im a mechanic by trade so doing the wiring in any case is no problem
By Brad H 1498 Date 2013-04-25 14:00
You'll have to fabricate a very sturdy brace for the Chevy column. They are heavy and as you know bolt in hanging from braces under the dash. you'll have to build a similar structure in the buggy. The fiberglass simply isn't strong enough to support this type of column from the dash. They are also double jointed so the top part of the column has to be solid.

The column in my buggy is simply a 3 foot length of 2" tubing, a stock steering shaft and I went to the local bearing supply house and found a sealed bearing that fit inside the tube and had the same inside diameter as the steering shaft.

brad
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2013-04-25 15:50
I went and looked on The Samba for the old style VW columns with blinkers....and I found none. Wow! I guess they must be getting more rare. Good thing I have two almost brande new columns (complete with steering wheel & blinker switches) in my shed!

Regarding wiring I was talking about a way to hide the ugly exterior wiring from the blinker switch inside the column for a cleaner appearance. Its all about the details!

The tilt columns are really dropping in price (about $170 now) but you still have to get the u-joints to make it work. Still...when I did it on my Manx it was close to $400. Now its probably closer to $300.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Another steering column Question (822 hits)