the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Engine Oil (3642 hits)
By Jim B 3573 Date 2013-03-12 05:51
Does anyone have an opinion on engine oil?  I want to change to oil and filter in the buggy I just bought.  The prevision owner used a detergent 30wt oil.  I thought I might put 10 / 30 wt. Mobile 1 synthetic in it.  I figure the synthetic might lubricate a little better under the higher heat condition the air cooled engines run.

Does anyone have any advise or suggestions?????

Jim B   
By Brad H 1498 Date 2013-03-12 12:30
I run 10W30 Amsoil Z-rod in my engines. What ever you run, make sure it is formulated for older engines with flat tappet cams or run regular oil and a zinc addative or you WILL scrub off the camshaft. They have taken most of the ZDDP (zinc phosphate) out of modern engine oils becasue it plugs cat converters. Unfortunately old engines that don't run roller lifters like modern engiens all do, need ZDDP to help cushion the contact between our flat tappets (lifters) and the cam lobe.

As far as our engines running hotter, that is a misconception

brad
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2013-03-12 13:12
Valvoline VR1 (available at most local parts stores) has 75% higher zinc then most oils. It might be a good solution.
By Jim B 3573 Date 2013-03-13 12:27
Brad and Jeffrey,
WOW! I am so glad I asked the oil question.  I thought it might be a no-braner and maybe even a dumb question, I'm so glad I asked.  I never knew about the zinc additive in the oil.  I will surly look for the Valvoline VR1, I have never heard of the oil Brad named, it might not be available here it might be a Canadian oil.
I sure do appreciate the advice you guys have given.

Jim B  
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2013-03-13 12:56
Jim,  Amsoil has been around a long time. If you go to this page:http://www.amsoil.com/     You can find a dealer close to you or order it on line.   I have used it off and on for over 40 yrs.
Have also used Valvoline oils, both good products.    Wipe a lobe on a Volks and not such a big deal, wipe one on an old international truck and it gets real expensive.  Not saying that it is cheap in either case.

Just my thoughts

Lloyd
By Brad H 1498 Date 2013-03-13 16:52
LOL cheap????? $100-140 for cam, $70-110 for lifters, $100 all bearings. 30 hours to disassemble engine and clean all parts. Replace all hoses for full flow system. Pretty cheap I guess ;-)

brad
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2013-03-14 03:54
Brad, you would know that cost, As you have done a bunch of that, just translate that total cost of about $1500, for a total rebuild?  Now times that by at least Three to rebuild a BD220 International motor.  I'll take that Buggy rebuild any time. LOL

Lloyd
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / Engine Oil (3642 hits)