the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / CV joint purchasing (2434 hits)
By Thomas B 2944 Date 2013-01-12 20:48
     Have been working on my drive shafts today and have discovered that I need to replace at least two of the joints. Does the "Buggy Bunch" have any thoughts on brand, quality, cost. Been looking at the prices!!!!!! Thinking that I should replace all 4, even though I have not separtated the second shaft yet.
     Also looking for comments on the colored boots as well. Would it be better to purchase kits, ie. joint , boot, grease and clamps all in one kit or separte items? Quality??

Tom
By Brad H 1498 Date 2013-01-13 05:39
The coloured boots will last a couple of years at best. Mine were split open after 2 summers of driving. I stick with the black OE quality ones. I've never had to replace a Beetle CV so can't speak to quality of OE Lobro, versus cheaper brands. Given the light weight of our cars and IIRC you are running a fairly mild motor. I'd take a shot with the cheaper ones.
I know I'm going to be biting the bullet later this year and stepping up to Type 2 joints, axles and flanges in the Beetle. OUCH
Kits can save you a bit of money, but ask the seller what the quality is like. They may put lower quality stuff together to make an attractive package at a decent price.

brad
By Thomas B 2944 Date 2013-01-13 13:21
Hi Brad,
     I was wondering the same about the kits, that's why I asked. I have been reading, about other topics, and found that every once in a while I would run into a comment about the poor quality of after market CV joints. I just don't want to be replacing then on a regular basis, $$$$ and time.
     My boots still look good, no cracks and they are still quite pliable. Maybe I should run them instead of replacing them?

Maybe someone that has had some experience with the after market joints will chime in.

Thanks Brad. Your insight is always worth paying attention to.

Tom
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2013-01-13 19:36
You could always go used original German. Lots for sale on The Samba (an example)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=974583

For $50 maybe there are some decent ones.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / CV joint purchasing (2434 hits)