the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / brake questions on 1966 (2139 hits)
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-06 15:48
I have been working on the Allison i got from Ken.
Currently i have a question about the front brakes.
This is a 1966 model bug.
original brakes/drums
bought everything new including drums.
there is no hole in back to adjust with screw driver.
my question is are these self adjusting brakes?
Will they adjust going forward or backwards?
Do i grease up the adjuster stars and the tabs or just leave then?
Do i crank them out far as i can and put drum on snug?
Another question
Brake resevoir has only section because of master cylinder
newer one have two
will a newer one fit/bolt on?
Thanks
Andy

By Paul G Date 2013-01-06 16:17
No Beetle had self adjusting brakes. The hole to adjust them is in the brake drum, so hopefully you have the correct 5 lug drums.

You should turn the adjuster to the smallest position and then install the drum. After adjusting the bearings you go back and adjust the brakes like any other Bug, one tooth short of the shoe dragging or very slight drag. Each shoe is adjusted separately.

I always put a little grease on the adjuster threads and between the star and the backing plate. You want to be sparing, if the grease ends up on the brake shoes and drum it compromises your brakes.

You can switch to the duel circuit master cylinder. It is a bolt in swap if you change reservoir too. The brake lines will need to be changed a little to match the different fitting locations on the master cylinder. Duel circuit brakes offer an additional level of safety over single circuit systems.
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-06 16:34
thanks Paul
I missed the hole in the drum and was looking in the back like my other buggy.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / brake questions on 1966 (2139 hits)