the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / chrome gas cap & dash board ? (2867 hits)
By Bill E 1873 Date 2013-01-02 23:44
Can someone tell me where I can buy a chrome flip up gas cap? Also did anyone have any problems with repairing their dash board mine has cracks in it and is warped in places seems to need alot of work. Thanks for any help. Bill
By Brad H 1498 Date 2013-01-03 00:54
Gas filler: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fliptop-Fuel-Filler-Cap-2-Opening-p/6034.htm

If the dash is badly warped I have done this in the past.

With a die grinder cutting wheel. Cut reliefs in the dash in the areas that are badly warped, not all the way through a little more than half way so that the area will flex. On the front of the dash cut a piece of thick plywood to fit and cover with wax paper or plastic wrap so the resin won't stick to the wood. From the backside using pan head screws and screw the 'glass to the plywood till it is well secured and held flat. Cover the screws with a small piece of masking tape. Lay up a couple of layers of glass on the backside to give it some good material thickness. I used heavy mat. dig out the screws and remove the wood. the front of the dash should be fairly flat now. If you want add some more mat to the back and use a skin of filler on the face of the dash to get it nice and smooth.

brad

This worked good for me. Someone might have a better approach
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2013-01-03 14:15
Lots of options for flip tops. Scan ebay. Search "flip gas cap". I have one from a Cobra replica. What is nice about it is that it is just a cover. The original cap remains inside. It makes it alot easier to relocate to a better spot on the hood.

Is it a fiberglass dash or plastic? I agree with Brad's approach. Cut off what is warped and graft in new sections. Its not that hard.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / chrome gas cap & dash board ? (2867 hits)