the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Off Topic / Rants and messages / Valve covers leak (3438 hits)
By minivolks Date 2012-11-06 13:22
They look nice.  Clean up easy.  Gives the buggy a little sparkle.  But after all the work of new head and clutch they valve covers are the hardest.  Leak leak leak.  New gaskets, permatex,  leak leak leak.    AARRRRGGHHH
By Brad H 1498 Date 2012-11-06 18:52
What kind of valve covers are they and what make? Chromed steel, bolt on?????

brad
By minivolks Date 2012-11-06 23:09
Chrome tinny aluminum foil from Mid America.  Bought them in 2008 when I built the buggy.  Still kills me every time I take them off.   Rubber gasket, cork gasket doesn't matter. Permatex yes,   Agony.  I rather run my fingers over with my grand marque than mess with them.  I need to look into new ones.  I have a spare engine with stock covers.  Maybe I'll clean them up.  Still a pain in the buttocks.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2012-11-06 23:37
Weigh about 2oz and only distort a bit when you snap the bails on eh???? ;-) ;-)

Can't beat stock for snap on V/Cs, for bolt on, I wouldn't use anything but CB or EMPI "C" channel covers.

brad
By Sandsurfer Date 2012-11-08 01:52
I use Scat snap on stainless valve covers on all my builds. I use the scat cover with a stock VW bale and it never leaks.
Keep in mind if you have too much blowby in your engine it can actually lift the valve cover and cause it to leak.
Jerry....
Previous Next Up Topic Off Topic / Rants and messages / Valve covers leak (3438 hits)