the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Radiator Location Ideas (Page 2) (72411 hits)
1 2 Previous Next  
By Phil P 1825 Date 2014-12-19 14:16
I located the radiator fill/surge tank on the passenger's side, accessable thru a screw top marine deck fitting. it is the highest point in the cooling system but since the plumbing has the tank as a high point, the engine and the piping between the tank and the radiator are low points.  I hate it when I have to drain the cooling since it requires filling and 'burping' the system by driving until the thermostat opens, allow everything to cool down, add coolant as required, and repeating until no air in the surge tank.
This normally requires 3 - 4 cycles. 
The fan is controlled by a thermo switch that is normal for VWs.  The VW radiator has the inlet/outlet fittings side-by-side in the bottom tank which simplified the plumbing.
The opening you see in the front is enough for all except driving in a parade.  Then too much stopping and starting.

Attachment: CopyofSANY0153.JPG (817.9k)
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Radiator Location Ideas (Page 2) (72411 hits)
1 2 Previous Next