the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / SR dash insert pattern (4618 hits)
By Larry G 3220 Date 2012-08-04 00:57
Has anyone made a panel for that part of the dash where the gauges and switches are placed. A previous owner cut a circle too large for the stock speedo. The only way that looks like it can be repaired is to add a panel over it.

Larry
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2012-08-04 19:39
I assume its fiberglass (haven't looked at mine in AGES!) and even if it is plastic it can be repaired with glass.
By SurfNC Date 2012-08-04 22:37
Larry
The dash is fiberglass and can be repaired fairly easily.  Here is a thread on my SR restoration that is stalled while I finish my Manx for the MOTB.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417315&highlight=surfnc

Vince
By Larry G 3220 Date 2012-08-05 04:15
SurfNC your dash repair looks good, I also liked the gas filler cap. One of the nice things about fiberglass is being able to repair it by adding more. I haven't worked with FG enough to be near proficient. I don't want to remove the dash at this time, some time in the future I will tear the SR down and rebuild it.  Working on a vertical surface with FG is no fun from what little experience I have. I thought I'd ask in case someone had already done it. I've checked the Racemex gauges and two of the four are history. They might be repairable, but I'll just pack them away with the other replaced parts. I may try making one, the two bends will make it difficult.

Larry
By Larry G 3220 Date 2012-09-15 17:29
I made a panel to cover the dash;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33950672@N08/sets/72157631542106266/

The panel allowed me to mount the gauges I wanted. I didn't have to deal with trying recreate the vinyl texture where I may have patched. I stayed with the original layout, except for cutting a section out where the holes for the switches where. Had to do that so the switches could be mounted to the panel. I didn't get the bends in quite the right place so a couple of the gauges are about a 1/16 off the panel on one side. I just clear coated the panel after I had run the sander over it. It won't be finished for a bit. I intend to add idiot lights/LEDs for turn signals, oil, and voltage.

Larry
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / SR dash insert pattern (4618 hits)