the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / SR2 Door lift gas part no. & mounting info (5487 hits)
By Tom B 2901 Date 2012-07-23 15:22
I want to install gas door lifts in my Meyers Manx SR. It appears that the SR2 has them. Information on mounting
and the part no. or model of the gas lift used would be appreciated
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2012-07-24 02:24
I looked at my assembly manual and all I have are the instructions on how to mount the strut....nothing on the types or the specs.
By Larry G 3220 Date 2012-07-26 00:42
I don't have doors for my SR, but I have had occasion to look for a 'gas strut' for the overhead door on my RV that I keep hitting my head on. :-( If you do a search in Ebay Motors, RV and trailer parts, for 'gas strut" you will find over 2 thou listed. Some are listed by number of pounds they hold, compressed length, and extended length. If you have the assembly manual, and a bathroom scale I would think you should close on the data you need. Another consideration would be how much resistance/friction the door hinge might add or subtract. If you can find a manufacture(s) in the listing you might contact them and see if they can help. Most of the struts listed are not that expensive less than $30, so there maybe some room to experiment. If in the process you find a manufacture and part number on your hinges please post here, I need parts.

Larry
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2012-07-26 12:44
McMaster Carr has a large selection of gas struts.  They even have some in Stainless Steel for food service applications.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Tom B 2901 Date 2012-07-28 17:09 Edited 2012-07-28 17:44
Appreciate you taking the time to help me. I think the mounting brackets I have fabricated are going to work ,but any info on the mounting brackets would help. I may be over looking something. I have reviewed Lift-O-Mat gas springs
but I was hoping that maybe someone knew the exact gas spring . I'll figure it out. Thanks and good luck on your Manx.

To : Jeffrey P655
By Tom B 2901 Date 2012-07-28 17:34 Edited 2012-07-28 17:46
Thanks for responding. I plan on retaining the original hinge, but remove the spring and replace it with gas struts.
I have fabricated brackets to mount the gas strut  and I plan on using Lift-O-Mat gas springs(struts) . They
provide lots of technical on their web site. I was hoping I didn't have to try several units to find the correct one.
I have used the bathroom scale to find the pounds. It works. If you need parts for your doors, I could take pictures
of my door hinge assy and also send you copies from the assy instructions provided by Meyers Manx. I have complete assy instructions for the Manx SR.

To: Larry G  3220
By Tom B 2901 Date 2012-07-28 17:38 Edited 2012-07-28 17:47
Thanks for the suggestion. I was planing on using Lift-O-Mat gas springs, but I am open to others.

To: Tom & Kathleen I  639
By Larry G 3220 Date 2012-07-29 02:44
The Lift-O-Mat gas springs, look good. I looked at their site, the install chart says they max out at 10Kg weight. IIRC 10 Kg would be about 22lbs, not sure makes a difference.

I was able to get a rear panel from SurfNC, and scored a pair of Miata buckets today, so I've got enough to keep me happy for a bit.

I'm not sure pictures would help that much. I've got a couple of leads on door hinges. A local Chev fabricator converted Corvette (C3) doors to lift up. He gave me the name of the hinge he used, Lambo. Their site looks interesting. Today I was told that they have a Bugorama at the Sacramento Speedway which is not far away. The Bugorama there will be the end of August. I was also told that some SR projects were seen there, that's almost to good to be true. I'll have to check it out.

Need to take some pictures to document this SR.

Larry
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / SR2 Door lift gas part no. & mounting info (5487 hits)