the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / old heads and unleaded ethanol fuel questions (4098 hits)
By Nick R 2948 Date 2012-07-16 17:08
first a little background, I have a 1967 1500cc w/ single port heads.  I believe it is all stock since the buggy was in a garage collecting dust for over 20 years before I got it.  I got the buggy running pretty good but I noticed smoke from the 3/4 cylinder bank.  Looks like I need a top end rebuild.  My questions are:  Will the stock valves, guides, and valve seats hold up well to the new ethanol unleaded fuels?  Are there new hardened seats/valves/guides available for our new fuels?  Where can I get them?  Otherwise should I just lap the valves and put new valve seals on it and be done with the heads?  Should I expect a little bit of performance increase with a 1640cc kit?  Is there a reputable place to send my heads to have them rebuilt?  Who makes a good 1640 kit these days?  I don't know which manufacturers/vendors are good/bad,  thanks!
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2012-07-16 17:58
Bumping up to a set of stock 1600 barrels and some dual port heads with liven things up for sure. Plus it gives you good base to add dual carbs and other go fast parts.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2012-07-16 18:13
First I would recommend checking the torque of the head studs and give the motor a good going over checking all the bolts for propper torque. Then I would put some miles on the motor and see if the smoking goes away. Chances are after sitting for 20 years things are stuck but might come free with a few miles on it.

If not then pull hte motor down and check things out. Be warned though that the best way to wear out a slightly tired bottom end is to put a fresh top end over it. I would redo everyhting if it needs a rebuild. Save your money on the 87mm barrels, they make no more horsepower and are more prone to warping than stock 1600 barrels.

If you have the heads apart check the guides, ther are no valve stem seals on these motors so if there is oil leaking there, chances are the guides are worn out. I would also replace the exhaust valves.

The valves and seats will hold up fine on the new fuels.

brad
By Nick R 2948 Date 2012-07-16 18:28
Thanks Brad!  You are a warehouse of knowledge.  Jeff, if I can find a pair of dual port heads for cheap I will try them on...
By David F 2912 Date 2012-11-08 00:03
Not sure where you are located or if you still need any of these things but, here in SoCal there is a place that does very good machine work located in Ontario CA. there name is Brothers VW and they have a website you can check out www.brothersvw.com I have had some heads rebuilt from them, very nice work.  They also have parts.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / old heads and unleaded ethanol fuel questions (4098 hits)