the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / What should my timing be set at? (6913 hits)
By Nick R 2948 Date 2012-07-09 14:47
I replaced my vacuum advanced distributor with a new 009 type.  I have a 1967 1500cc type 1 motor with single port heads.  It is all stock except for dual exhaust, high flow air filter and a power pulley.  I did a static timing adjustment when I installed the 009 at 10 degrees BTDC.  Is this about right?  It has a slight hesitation off idle but sings nicely at high rpm.   Is it safe to advance the timing further?  What is the limit?  Should I just go by ear and feel?  I don't have a timing light or tach/dwell meter any longer.  I foolishly gave them away thinking I would never have a car with points and condenser again.  Thanks for all the help you guys have given me in the past.  Sure made getting my buggy running again after 20 years of sitting allot easier.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2012-07-09 16:23
It should be timed at 3000 rpm...about 30 degrees BTDC.

A timing light is about $25 and a great investment. You can't time it by ear. Just like you can't hear the detonation or the heat build up if your timing is off.

And get rid of the power pulley. Its not good for your engine.
By Nick R 2948 Date 2012-07-09 16:38
Thanks Jeffrey!  I will adjust the timing with the power pulley on since the degrees are marked on it, then I'll pull the power pulley off and put the stock pulley back on.  I figured all the power pulley was doing was turning the fan and generator at a lower RPM and saving a little bit of horsepower.  If it affects reliability too much then I won't run the power pulley.  I don't want the engine to run too hot.  I just remember everybody I knew had a power pulley on their bug way back in the day.  I am only re-learning everything I forgot about owning a VW after a 30 year hiatus.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2012-07-10 11:56
I ran a power pulley on my 1776 for 15 years in my buggy no problem. I also have them on both my 2332cc engines. My head temp is a constant 350*F and oil is 180*F.

Make sure to check your distributor for full advance. The current copy of the 009 is notoriously inconsistant in this regard. I've seen one pull 14* (total of 21*) and I saw one pull 34*(total of 41* advance!!!!!!)

brad
By Nick R 2948 Date 2012-07-10 17:18
Thanks Brad, I was going to rev it up to check the limit and make sure it wasn't going beyond 30 degrees BTDC but I didn't know that these 009 copies had such a broad working range.  I would have thought mechanical stops would have prevented it from an over run but that's what I get for assuming things.  I will try to figure out how far out this distributor is.  Thanks for the heads up!  Great tip!
By Brad H 1498 Date 2012-07-10 23:51
No problem with the tip. The problem is the quality control or lack there of. It all depends on who was bending the tabs on the stop plates and attaching the springs and bushings on the weights that day it seems. I do know that CIP1 and others offer a Canadian (shameless nationalistic plug)  made version of the 009 that is more money but WAY better quality than the chinese copies. I know a couple people that are running them and they were bang on the money. If you want to run a straight mechanical advance distributor I would same my dimes and eventually buy one of these.

brad
By Nick R 2948 Date 2012-07-13 17:16
Thanks for all the tips, I bought a cheapo timing light and set my distributor to 30 BTDC @3000rpm.  I readjusted the carbs low speed air screw and idle.  Then took her for a ride.  Holy Smokes!  What a difference!  I can actually spin the tires and it takes off like a rocket.  I don't know how it ever ran before, the timing was set to something like 20 ATDC at idle and hitting TDC at 3000 rpm.  When I changed it to what it should be its like a whole new engine and so much fun to drive.  Now that's the VW buggy I remember tearing up as a kid.  Thanks for the help guys!  Ya put a huge grin on my face!
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / What should my timing be set at? (6913 hits)