the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Autocrossing you Buggy (6908 hits)
By @Jeff GS Date 2006-12-14 23:01
Jeff - I'll do some deep reading on the ZRS.  I would love this buggy to handle like a Formula V in the auto crosses.  I'd actually like to get a Buggy Auto Cross board going in this forum to be able to discuss suspension mods at length with other buggy auto cross runners!  If you know of any existing boards dedicated to this purpose, please let me know. 

Thanks! Paul...

Well.. putting on my Deserter hat here... Alex Dearborn was one of the early innovators with buggy autocrossing back in the late 60's with his first generation Deserters.  That's one reason he made the wheelbase a little longer (84") than the standard Manx length (80") - better road handling and balance.
Alex wrote a neat article that was published in Hot VW's back then on where to focus your efforts in getting your buggy to handle - most of it is still applicable today since very little has changed with the VW suspension and the typical modifications done for better handling.  A worthwhile read as a primer towards autocrossing your buggy!
http://www.deserterownersgroup.org/Autoxbuggy.pdf

A friend who is coaching me on suspension design has a couple of friends who autocross their buggies (or used to, years ago?).  I've asked him if they might want to log in here and give us some tips on setting up the cars.  Well see.

Autocrossing is neat and all - but I'm envisioning my Deserter GS as more of a hill-climbing type machine... a junior Porsche 910??  :-)

Cheers,  Jeff
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-12-15 00:56
More homework???  I'll read up on it!  I've saved a 2 page article I found on how to set up a VW (I don't think it was buggy specific) for autocrossing.  When I dig it up, I'll scan and post it.  Actually - it may be the same article you just sent? I'll check.

I'd also like to look into 13" (or there abouts) rimes with race compound tires.  That would really drop the center down to the ground like a Formula V.

We can get into boost applications as well later one.  I like the hill climb idea, but I live in Illinois - no hills here! Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By @Jeff GS Date 2006-12-15 02:33
Oops - got my Porsches mixed up!  I meant the 908-3..

What a car!
Jeff
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-12-15 04:57
I'm sure everyone has seen these videos already, but I can't help posting the link again.  Its "autocrossing the Imp with the EJ20TT" and I really hope to get some new video this Summer with the T3/T4 out back.

I have a lot of work to do to get this thing autocross ready including getting the wood out from under my rollbar.  The body lift raised the roll bar and blocks were the easy answer.  I also need to possibly rebuild the front end to tighten up the front bearings and then get it to an alignment shop to dial in the angles.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
By @Jeff GS Date 2006-12-15 12:08
Hey Paul,
When I tried your auto-x links all I got was an audio track - no video of the car in action.  Is the file audio only?
Jeff
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-12-15 15:39
Hi Jeff - Although the audio is fun, there is video there also. I just tested it with the following programs:

Both video and audio:
Windows Media Player 10
Apple Quicktime 7.1.3

Only Audio:
VLC Media Player
Nero ShowTime v2.0.0.22

Hope this helps! I'm sure I can convert it to another format if you still have problems.  I have had the same complaint from other people, but I have never taken the time to fix it before. Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Warner Date 2006-12-15 20:16
I had the same problem....do a right-click "save as" and save the clips to your local drive.  They'll play perfectly from there.  Not an uncommon problem.

Warner
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Autocrossing you Buggy (6908 hits)