the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Or how about this one...and he's in Chicago! (2388 hits)
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-12-07 14:56
(continuing this from an email conversation...)

For additional mounts, I started by connecting the radiator support bracket (rad is over my transaxle) into the ends of the rear torsion bar housings.  I ran the engine for maybe 2 years with this being the only additional support including trips into the dunes.  The trans was hard mounted to the frame horns and I installed a Berg front trans mount. 

I now have 2 thin bars running from the original engine mounts to the top of the shock tower on each side.  The weld on one bar broke in the dunes, and has since been welded again.  It survived another trip to the dunes this Summer.

Yes, almost any engine can be bolted to a VW transaxle using a Kennedy Adapter.  The Subuar motors are the most similar to VW in form.  They are among the highest HP to displacement engines available, last a long time, are well supported, and dependable.  Hence why I put one in mine. But yes, a lot of different motors could go in the back!

Paul...

------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:50 AM
To: Paul Moran
Subject: RE: Or how about this one...and he's in Chicago!

It would be interesting to find out.  It looks like the Kennedy adapters are about $500.  Does the Subaru engine need any additional mounting, or does it just bolt up to the VW trans like the VW engine?   I also noticed that Kennedy makes all types of adapters for other engines to VW trans's....maybe there are other options that would work just as well?   (or cheaper?)

Warner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:44 AM
To: Warner
Subject: RE: Or how about this one...and he's in Chicago!

Yep - they are in Chicago!  I can tell you the parts you need, but it won't be a complete list or include current pricing... That engine does not appear to have any of the wiring harness or exhaust components on it.  Eric Japan Engine seems strictly set up as a source for replacement engines going into Subaru cars.  I called there once & they didn't seem to "get" the idea of putting a Subaru into a buggy.  I'd really like to go there some day and talk with them in person. Maybe take pics of my buggy with the engine installed so they could "see" what we do with them.

Paul...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:35 AM
To: Paul Moran
Subject: Or how about this one...and he's in Chicago!

eBay EJ25 link

Assuming I were to buy a Suby engine like this...what else would I need to make it actually WORK in my Baja?   Exhaust, intake, adapter to make it work with the VW trans, engine mounting of some nature......engine control module (looks like they're a grand from outback).  What else?

Thanks again,
               Warner
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By Warner Date 2006-12-07 15:44
Are the mounts necessary?  Recommended?   In my baja, would I be able to mount a radiator in the same location?   How about a roof-mounted radiator...maybe inside a hood scoop?   Would that put the radiator too high for the water pump to work properly?  My baja will likely only be driven on the streets....at least 99% of the time, so I'm not overly concerned with it being able to sustain landings from jumps or anything like that.   Also, I would like to explore and consider other engine options for the baja.....I know that Kennedy makes a bunch of different adapters for the VW trans, and since cost is an issue I think I would be remiss in not at least exploring all of my options...

Warner

PS - Since my Baja is a 1968, it looks like it WILL be subject to emissions testing, but just the sniffer test.  I wonder if Illinois moves their test year up a year every year?   If so, then as of next year I wouldn't need to test at all.....I'm probably not that lucky though.  Can the suby engines be leaned out enough to pass the sniff test?   How about a regular VW engine?   I would think that EITHER engine if it were running properly would pass the tests required of a 1968 vehicle, right?
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-12-07 16:04
I would say the mounts are necessary.  No telling how long a transaxle will hold up with the extra weight of a Subie engine hanging off it unsupported.

Seems like you'd need a pretty big scoop for a full radiator on the roof as opposed to a small oil cooler, but I can't see any reasons for it not working. You'd have plenty of cooling power up there and the hot air would not flow into the passenger compartment.

Not sure if the water pump would have issues - I would not think so.  The water coming down the system should pull the water up at the same time causing no difference to the pump.

IL does not move the year forward for emissions testing.  It does move the year forward for what qualifies as an antique vehicle and antique vehicles do not require emissions testing.  But then you have limited use technically.  I would be curious if they would make you pass 1968 emissions or would they make you pass emissions from the year of the motor.  That may be another concern.  Then you'd need to find room for a catalytic converter.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Or how about this one...and he's in Chicago! (2388 hits)