the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / building a street rail with out a donor car. (7902 hits)
By Daryl H 3056 Date 2012-01-06 19:29
I have always wanted to build a rail buggy but dont have a doner car so any advice on where to start and who to buy parts from. I am thinking of building it all new one piece at a time.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2012-01-06 20:18
Well thats a tall order....but here are some places

www.mooreparts.com
www.cip1.com
www.berrienbuggy.com
By Daryl H 3056 Date 2012-01-06 20:54
Thanks..I have been looking at berriens sandfox 4 seat chasis. There just not anywhere to get parts here in louisville so all my purchases will more than likely be out of state. Was hoping some one could help me with reputable dealers.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2012-01-06 21:02
Since your building it from scratch your not really going to find one stop shopping.  Certain places might make good frames, but not good engines. Some places may make good engines, but not the 1000s of other parts you will need (wheels, tires, wiring, seating, restraints, suspension, steering, etc etc)
By Brad H 1498 Date 2012-01-07 02:10
To be honest, and I'm not thumbing my nose at the USA or happy about it, but with the state of your economy, there are tons of deals on half built, abandonned, or big buck builds to be had. I would really think about buying one of those instead of building from scratch.

Paying retail, just the front beam. steering and brakes will cost you $4-500, a tranny will be $1000+ with axles and drums the motor another $1500-2000 or more for high performance, and that's just the big stuff. It's the little stuff that will kill you $100 here, $300 there, repeat often.......Then there's the rear torsion housing and chassis. And all the major components are big and heavy which means you will either be travelling a lot or paying big freight bills.

I would make a list of all the stuff you need in catagories starting at the front bumper and going to the back one broken down into catagories front end and brakes, brakes, controls (steering, pedals, shifter, gauges) seating & safety, transmission, rear suspension and brakes, engine, electrical and lighting, fuel system, chassis and bodywork. Then I would go to a website that has a basket feature with a running total and start gathering parts. Then compare that to some of the projects and completed buggies you can find on sites like thesamba.

just my .02

brad
By Daryl H 3056 Date 2012-01-07 18:02
Thanks for the advice...I have been looking on the net but seems like im in a black hole here in kentucky when it comes to buggies. The couple I have found there is really big problem geting a vin # for it with the laws here. I need reciepts on all the parts and title on donor parts. None of which I have talk to remotly have the paper work. So the only way I see being able to build a street legal bugie is to start from scratch that way I can keep up with all reciepts and paper work myself. Again thank everybody for their advice any and all is welcome and very much appreciated!
By ManxBug Date 2012-01-08 14:48
Could you build the buggy without papers and get it licensed and insured in a more lax neighbour state? Then get Kentucky to Register the already titled car, like as if you moved to Kentucky?
By David L 2084 Date 2012-01-09 02:32
Daryl,
I know it is still about 100 miles away, but "Buggy Works" that was in Martinsville, In, has just moved up near Indy.  They are now out by what was OReilly Raceway Park.  Because they just moved, and have had to pile all their inventory into trucks, they are well aware of what all they have.  You might give them a call, or look at their website.  Often they have cars or projects that are on consignment.  They are also on the web, just google them.  
I am in the final stages of a street buggy build, and I have promised my self I will not tackle that job again without a complete donor car.  You just end up spending way too much on things you simply can't imagine.   My advice is to get a complete car, or take over somebody's project.  There all over if you look.
Dave
By scott a 3131 Date 2012-03-07 18:43
Hey, just built a rail and have some answers for you if your stil looking for some...I live in Louisville feel free to call me at 558-0715 my name is Scott
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / building a street rail with out a donor car. (7902 hits)