the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Allison Dune Buggy's (42152 hits)
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-29 19:09
I am Arlene (Ali) Allison, wife of Kenny Allison manufacturer of the Allison Daytona Dune Buggy's and MG Replicars.  Thank you all for the nice things you are saying about the Allison Buggys.  It is a real honor for me and my family to read these posts.  Several of you are asking the wherabouts of the molds.  I am not really sure.  I know some of them were destroyed and I believe some went to Ronnie Wharton in Edgewater, Fl. Have not been able to get in touch with him yet, but will keep trying.  We had several dealers in PA, SC; NC; Utica, NY, A motorcycle dealer in Ohio right on the border of West Va; and another one in upstate NY near the canadian border.  Can't remember the names as all the paper work has since been destroyed.  If anyone knows who these people might be, please let me know.  You have got me excited now and if I didn't live in a condo, I would look for and buy back one of our buggys.  MY daughter still has the last MG/TD that we made.  I believe that is a 1983.  Happy duneing to you all.  Ali
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-10-29 19:26 Edited 2011-10-29 19:29
Hello Mrs. Allison.
Welcone to DBA.
I am an Allison Dune Buggy Lover and fan. No one is addicted as Ken Lee but I am on the top of the list.
I have one of your Buggies on a 71 Shortend IRS vw.
My buggy was found in a barn unbilt in SC in 2006 was built and registered in 2007.
It is the original Gel coat and a true Gem to be found in almost new conditon.
I do not know what year it is and am thinking it is one of the ealy bodies because of rounded front end, narrower fenders that are a bit more flat than some others.
Can you fill me in on this at all ? what would you have called the color? what years did you make this style and color?
I will attach some photo's and link to my post.http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=3220
Your husband truley made a great buggy and i appreciate your time and information that you share with all of us.
Thanks
Andy

By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-29 20:05
Hi Andy

I do not know what year we made your buggy.  However, Kenny was changing the body style just about every year.     I would tell him , you got a good thing already, why change it.  He would always say "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door".    It looks like someone put the stripes on your buggy, as we never did any pin striping like that.  Ali
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-10-29 20:57
thanks for getting back to me. strips were added afterward.
all we know is when buggy was bought, they sarted it, then stopped working on it and wrapped the parts up in 1975 newspaper.
it is a great buggy and we are happy to own it.
thanks!!
Andy
By Manx102 M 2478 Date 2011-10-30 01:26 Edited 2011-10-31 01:15
Hi Arlene and welcome to the DBA.

By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-30 10:58
Do any of you know what the Allison buggy's are going for these days.  I have been thinking about moving out of my condo (where I am only allowed 1 vehicle), and woud consider buying one just to tool around town.  Ali
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-30 12:47
Hi Ali, when you can find one they are usually 4500 and up, I paid 6500 for my shriner Allison but drove from SC to Memphis to get it, 2 nights in motels because the girlfriend wanted to make a mini vacation out of the trip, I did get to finally go to Graceland though, I spent another 500 on it for new BF Goodrich T/A radials, My " Blue Moon Dune " is a hot rod with a big motor, and I felt like I got a good deal on the gold one that Mom has now at 5000, but I have seen them go as high as 10,000, you will probably have to spend at least 5000 to get a decent driver, I know I sent you pictures but I love showing off our Allisons, so here they are again, lol

Ken.............................

By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-30 13:19
Hey Ken   Those buggy's are beauties.  Can't believe they are 5,000 and up.  Kenny always said they would be worth more someday.  I only have brochure left (which I want to keep) but I am going to copy the whole thing and mail it to you.  They were only 3900-4200.00 new.  Can't believe it.  I think you will enjoy the brochure.  Wish I had saved them all.  Had hundreds of them.  Ali
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-30 13:21
Meant to ask you Ken, if that is you in the picture?  If so; now I feel like I know who I am chatting with.  Ali
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-30 15:14
Yes Ali thats little ol me, LOL, I know of two that sold for 8000.00 and 8500.00 each, one was a red Allison truck in Myrtle beach SC that sold to a collector in Maryland, here is a picture of it The first man bought bought it in Concord NC, from the son of the VW dealerships owner, the other was a blue Allison car dune buggy that a ladys husband had bought from Kenny back in 1972, they were from Florida, they also sold it to a collector in Maryland for 8500.00. Thanks for taking your time and sending me articals and the copy of the sales pamplet. I will try to post a picture of the blue one but she sent me a email with it as smile box, I would forward you the email but then it would come up for you to do smile box everytime you load pictures, and I dont want you to have to deal with that on your computer.

Ken.........................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-30 15:20
Sorry I couldnt get just the pictures on the smile box of the blue one that was in Florida, here is the link, sometimes after looking at this it will come up to install smilebox when you load pictures but I just click out of it when it ask. After you click on this it will come up with lots of pictures of the blue Allison and then starts as a slide show of the pictures.  http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d5455354f544d314f4456384d7a55304e4455794e44593d0d0a&sb=1
                                                             Ken...................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-30 15:25
I would have loved to have had both or either of the two buggys above but they were just out of my price range, even what I paid for my shriner buggy was a little high for me, but I wasnt going to miss the chance to have a shriner long body Allison Daytona !!!

Ken......................
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-30 16:30
Just wondering why the Shriners are selling their buggy's?  If one of the owners passed away, I could understand why the family would want to sell it, but they looked so good in their parades; it seems like another Shriner would have bought it.
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-30 23:20
The Shriner buggy I have was sold to another Shriner, then from that Shriner to the Shriner I bought it from, he was getting divorced and had bought a Harley Davidson, he wasnt using the buggy any more and put it up for sale, he gave me a tour of their Shriner motor division and there was one more Allison there just like mine, and another Allison short body that had been painted another color, and a couple more buggys that were not Allisons, while I was in Memphis I looked at another one like mine that also had been sold to a individual that wasnt a Shriner, unfortunately the rear of that one was burnt from a engine fire. I guess the answer is that I dont know why they were not all kept in the Shriner fold ??? I guess they are able to sell them to whoever wants to buy one, I do know that years ago a dune buggy ran into a crowd of people while they did their manuvers in a parade ( it wasnt a Allison ) from that point I believe that some Shriners went to smaller vehicles for the parades such as ( go carts, that look like indy cars, tractor trailers, model A's, etc ) Hope this answers the question OK. Hope you are having a great day Ali !!!
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-30 23:30
Ali, the Gold Allison that Mom has now was also used  as a Shriners buggy from Virginia, the original owners wife and his name are on a metal plack on the dash, also it has a metal plack that the buggy had been around the Indanapolis speedway in the early 70s, from what I uderstand they had a Shriner function at the speedway where 60 some buggys went around the track. I have seen one more Allison that was for sale with that same metal plack, the Gold Allison stilll has the flag pole holder mounted to the rear skid plate. If you are able to scan any of your pictures from the past and email them to me I will be pleased to post them here !!  Thanks
                               Ken.........................
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-10-30 23:53
Hi Ken  I don't know how TO scan, so am mailing a few things to you tomorrow.  Whatever you want to post is ok with me.  Found a few things that I did not realize that I had.  We are talking about 24-30 years ago.  Some of the things re Allison family history may bore you, but they were very talented people..  I forgot a lot of these things, but I was in the family for so long;SO guess I just thought "  (OH WELL}  Let me know when you get my first and second mailing.  Still have not heard from Ronnie Wharton regarding the molds.  I went to his sons business yesterday, but they were closed on Saturday.  Will try again tomorrow.  Don't know why he does not respond.  He and Kenny were good friends.  Ali
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-10-31 02:44
Thanks Ali, I assure you nothing Allison related will bore me !!! I never expected to hear from you or one of your daughters, that really made my day !!! Everyone that has read my post here realize that I am one of the Allison Dune Buggys biggest fans. Dont worry I will get them on here even if I have to buy a new scanner, or take pictures of them, Thanks again and good luck hearing from Ronnie.

Ken .....................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-01 12:31
Thank you Ali, I got the copies of the newspaper articles in the mail, I will get my old scanner out tonight and see about getting them posted here to share with the other DBA members, Thanks so much !!!

Ken...................
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-11-01 18:05
Hi Ken   I talked with Ronnie Wharton today and he said he did not have the molds.  I really thought he took some of them and stored them at his place.  It sure is hell to get old.  Can't remember anything.  Must have been a dream.  However, we are talking more than 30 years ago.  I mailed out some more Allison info to you yesterday.  Please let me know when you get it.  Think you will enjoy looking at the brochure.  Especially the prices on everything.  I have decided to sell my condo and move back to Port Orange.  I want a garage, so I can spend a fortune on an Allison Dune Buggy  LOL.  Take  care.  Ali
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-01 18:38
Thats a shame about the molds, You sure you want to sell the condo, I dont want your daughters hunting me down !!! I can just hear it now " So your the reason Mom sold the condo and is speeding around Port Orange in a souped up Allison Daytona Dune Buggy. I hope you know you are paying for all of her speeding tickets !!!!! " LOL

Ken.....................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-02 00:44
I had a time hooking up my old scanner and finding the installation disk but I got it done, Here is what Ali has sent me to this point, Ali gave me her permission to share this with the DBA, Thank you Ali for going to the trouble and cost of making copies and sending to me, I am sure there are others here that will love to be able to copy these articles !!!!
                                                                                  Ken...................................

By Kellison Jim Date 2011-11-02 03:13
Priceless! Look at all of those hoods hanging on the wall of his shop.
Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-02 23:27
                                    ********** THANKS ALI !!!!! **********

I never could have emagined that I would have been contacted by you Ali, it is wonderful that you have taken your time and efforts to enlighten us Allison Daytona dune buggy fans with such great pieces of history of the Allison Daytonas !!!!! I really enjoyed reading all of the literature you sent me !!! In a few days I will take the time to post some of the history of Kenny, his brother, and his cousin, such  a talented family !!!! I will start a new topic on Allison history. Here are the articles and sales pamplet you sent me for all dune buggy lovers to enjoy. Thank you so much !!! First is the article on Kennys and your personal Allison Daytona, next is the sales pamplet, I know everyone will really enjoy all you have shared with the Dune Buggy Archives !!!

By Bob P 2855 Date 2011-11-03 14:06
To both Ali and Ken,

I can only say that this post has practically brought me to tears. I bought and built my Road Runner in mid '68 and am still driving it today at 73 yrs old. (that's me, not my "Lil' Bugger"). Just reading the articles and seeing the way it was written was gratifying. I noted that there were no "disclaimers" or "liability" messages incorporated into any of it. Attorneys were'nt even considered.  Just Plain ol' American Ingenuity and hard work.

You folks have made my day and I can't even begin to thank you enough.

P.S. Now I can't wait to get busy restoring the body on mine.

Bob Poiry
Oak Harbor, Ohio

Attachment: LilBugger1958.docx (160.1k)
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-04 02:14
That was a great reply Bob, very heart warming !!!  Ali, I sent you this in a email I dont know that it will help you contact one of the Allison dealers from the past, I will share it here also.

Ken.......................

By Clint L 518 Date 2011-11-04 21:52
In the first article posted,  Was Ken Allison's dune buggy silver,or charcoal, with dark red stripes?  Was it shipped up to Pennsylvania for Bob Toomey back in the day?  If so, I heard some wild stories about this car.  I have Bob Toomey's personal truck I'm getting ready to start next week.  He told, me it was originally hugger orange

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-04 22:14
Hi Clint, I know Ali doesnt mind me answering questions when I can, in that article it states that Kenny Allison picked a gold metal flake with black striped body off of his assembly line for their personal car, I also need to copy the sales paper you sent me that came from Bob on here. That is actually how Ali and myself got together, she sent me a email looking for the Deans to let them know about the passing of Bob. Did Bobs truck have the flat bed in the back for type 3 motor or did it have the bolt on fiberglass hump for the upright vw motor ??? You may want to ask Ali on here if she remembers what happed to Kenny and hers gold Allison buggy with the porsh motor.

Ken.......................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-04 22:20
LOL you were posting the picture while I was typing in the reply, I see yours has the hump in the bed for the upright motor, Ali didnt remember the hump for the upright VW motor on the Allison Truck but I believe I have read somewhere that they were availiable both ways, flat for type 3 ( pan cake ) engine and fiberglass hump for up right VW engines.

Ken
By Tony S 2337 Date 2011-11-05 01:31
Yup, mine has the flat bed and type 3 in it. Been making good progress. No pics till after its finished, since I haven't told my Dad I'm restoring it. Going to be a big surprise! Hopefully ready for spring!
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-11-05 10:46
I really don't remember what happened to the Porsche Allison buggy.  Everything has a price, so I feel sure that Kenny sold it.  My daughter and I were talking today, and we sure wish we had kept all that info.  Who would ever think that the Allison Daytona would still be popular 40 years later.  I want one real bad.  Ali
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-11-05 23:53
What kind of wild stories did you hear regarding the gold buggy with Porsche engine?  Now that I think about it; maybe Bob Toomey did have that in York, PA.  Ali
By Clint L 518 Date 2011-11-06 08:47 Edited 2011-11-06 08:52
I don't know if you remember Toomey's son and a friend of his with the last name of Dallmeyer?  I believe they were the ones that ran back and forth for Bob picking up bodies.  Randy told me a story of a complete silver buggy with dark red stripes that had a Porsche motor and a tv in it that a local contractor bought in the area.  Lets just say the story was a sign of the times.  I was working on Dallmeyer's farm a little while back, and he showed me the one he had for awhile.  After we talked, I had the chance to clean it up a little, then I think he put it back in the barn.

By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-11-08 00:10
Hey Ken,
I would like to prin this Allison information and read it but it has been reduced so much it will not print clear.
you have my personal e-maill address and i ask if you would be kind enough to e-mail in full resolution?
Thanks buddy!!
Andy
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-11-08 00:15
Hi Andy, are you able to copy and make it bigger with ( paint ) ??? That is how I made it smaller to put it here, and I saved it to my computer like it is on here, try it and if it doesnt work we will do something to make sure you get copies.

Ken.............................................
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-11-10 01:02
Mrs Allison,
I know  by reading your post you want an Allison real bad and Ken , myself, or another dba member will keep our eyes out to see if we can find you a nice buggy"......
Ken seems to smell them out pretty good!!
I would let you have mine but I like it too much.......
I will let you know of any I find as they come up.
Thank you again for sharing things with us.
I have a folder which I keep on all Allison stuff I find to go with my buggy for future.
I plan to keep for as long as I can.
Again Thanks for all the info you share with us
Andy
By Arlene (Ali) A 2963 Date 2011-11-10 11:13
Your very welcome Andy.  I am glad to be of help with anything you want to know.  However, it has been many years and I have forgotton a lot.  Am still trying to find some of the guys that worked for us, and pick their brain a little.  The one that would know most is Dale Alan Edwards in Kalamazoo michigan.  But have not been able to reach him.  He called me a few years back, but can't find his phone number.  If any of you can find him; just give him a call and tell him that I said to call you.  I feel sure that he would be happy to chat with you.  Again, thankyou you all for keeping the Allison Dune Buggy alive.
Ali
By Hector G 4072 Date 2014-06-03 05:06
hi... im sorry I did this as a reply... I did not know how to post a new message... lol... new to this... my father got a dune buggy like 5 years ago... it is an extended 4 person dune buggy, and he got it because he liked that it fit more than 2 people. And as I went through some of the pictures in here I am pretty sure it is an allison dune buggy. it is a 1973 i think... I will post pictures later...

my question to all of you that might, or know more than I do is about wheels and tires.

of course this is a "barn" find (it was not actually on a barn but on a house parked on the open garage ( just a roof)... it was well conservated as we did not do anything to it just an engine tune up... and then my dad put some paint on it but we are in the process of taking it out and leaving the origina paint. So back to topic... it has the original wheels rear 14 x 10 and front 13 x 5... and the original L60-14 rear tires and a70-13 front tires (actually only one, driver side was replaced by a tracker marine by previous owner)... we ran it like that for the last years since it was only weekend driver every 15 to 20 days (we do have other baja bugs, 4x4's, etc) so we are in the process of looking for tires but are having a hard time finding them...

THE ACTUAL QUESTION:

so how do we change to bigger wheels? do they fit? where can I find some ? what type of wheels are the best? and what sizes?

on the original brochure it says that it will not fit wheels bigger than 13, but i have seen some pictures of some with 15 inch fron tires, what upgrades or mods do I have to make on the front for them to fit?

thanks in advance... you all have wonderful buggys.

i will show our pride with some pics .. lol
By Brad H 1498 Date 2014-06-03 15:38
To start your own thread click on the "Add Topic" in the line of headings written in blue and go from there. As far s fitting bigger wheels. I don't knowwhy it would be a problem unless the car is extremely lowered There are tons of wheels to choose from and it the car has wheel adapters there is an even bigger selection. Post some pictures in a topic of your own and we'll see what you have.

brad
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Allison Dune Buggy's (42152 hits)