the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / AFCO radiator? (2181 hits)
By @Jeff GS Date 2006-11-28 17:53
While doing some more general parts searching I came across these AFCO radiators.  I'd seen some of their products on-line before, but they seemed mostly focused on roundy-round track racing and mostly seemed not too usable on a fiberglass body buggy.  So poking around on their radiator section I see they offer a Scirocco style double pass type, which seems to be a popular drag race radiator.  These typically come in a 13" high but only about 22" wide (including end tanks), which "seemed" a little small to cool a turbocharged Subaru engine, at least for any kind of extended boost situation.  However, the double pass design and height of the units look like they would work out well in the front end of a buggy - fits under the hood/nose and between the front beam shock towers pretty well.  The only wider version I've seen is a 24.5" model by Griffin, but that one runs close to $4 bills - even discounted from Summit Racing!  For that kind of money I'm thinking custom radiator instead of off the shelf.
While looking at Afco's Scirocco models I see they have a custom build section, offering just about any kind of radiator you can dream up.  Most of their radiators run in the low $200 to low $300 range, so doing up a custom model would appear to be maybe relatively affordable?
I did some more measuring on my chassis and it looks like I could get something 13" high and ~26" wide, with hose sizes to match the Subaru, no filler, fan shroud mounting bosses and a couple of pipe fittings for drain and a bleed on top, plus maybe another for a temperature sensor for the fan.
Just wanted to pass this info along should anyone be in the same dilemma of looking for a radiator that would work up front on a buggy.
http://www.afcoracing.com/flash/AFCOsite_DR.swf

Cheers,  Jeff
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-11-29 02:56
Those prices seem reasonable for radiators.  I tried to get out of Leading Edge the size radiator they recommended and all I ever received was "the biggest one that will fit" - so I have a 31"x19" radiator - biggest that would fit...

I wish we could find the heat output by one of these engines along with a formula or specs on how much heat different radiators will remove.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / AFCO radiator? (2181 hits)