the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Exhaust pipe temperatures? (2376 hits)
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-11-28 15:18
While trying to remove the air from my coolant system last night, I took a few exhaust pipe temp readings.

Seems like one pipe was around 200 degrees F while the other three hovered between 150 and 180.  Does anyone have readings on their pipe temps at idle?  I'm also curious as to why the temperature varied between the pipes. 

Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By charliew Date 2006-11-30 02:34
hay paul, charlie here, my son hot rods a sti and i sorta help, mostly with the place to work and tools and fab work. when we installed an egt bung he said to put it in the #3 tube cause it ran the hottest. i think he got this info from the subie web site. lots of good info stuff there. gotta check your new pictures, been busy for a few days. so long.
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-11-30 04:16
Hi Charles - What is the standard cylinder order for an EJ20?  I'm used to the VW ordering...

If you would not mind using references like "flywheel" and "timing covers" - that will help those of us with the engine flipped compared to a standard front engine install.

My hottest cylinder was on the flywheel side.  ummm - looking at the flywheel, it would be on the left... 

Any idea what temp he was seeing at idle?
Thanks!  Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By @Jeff GS Date 2006-11-30 12:13
Hey Paul,
I checked back in my Megasquirt info and the Subaru 4-cylinder firing order is 1-3-2-4, with the #1 cylinder located at the left front when looking at the timing cover end (in the original Subaru installation that would be passenger side, front of the engine next to the timing cover).  The cylinders are marked on the block with a cast boss on each cylinder, right on top.  These numbers may be hard to spot with all the other hardware and dirt normally on top of the engine.

Jeff
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Exhaust pipe temperatures? (2376 hits)