the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Announcements / OFFICIAL 2012 Calendar Topic (12420 hits)
Poll What buggy calendar would you rather buy?
$20.00 calendar that has smaller images 0 0%
$21.50 calendar with images to the edges 13 100%
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-09-07 21:48 Edited 2011-09-07 21:55
Hi all,

Please see instructions on submitting photos here.

We are moving forward with the legwork for the 2012 calendars. I personally would like to see high quality calendars with images that are full width and height on glossy stock at a reasonable price.

In researching printing companies, it appears we can get inexpensive calendars printed up through companies like Cafe Press and Vista Print. Both of these companies will offer printing services at an inexpensive price. here is a tradeoff though. In comparing apples to apples, both of these companies do not offer what is termed "full bleed" which is printing speak for the image fills the entire page. (Ie, there is no useless white or other colored border around a smaller image)

You will not find this border around any "normal" quality calendar you would buy... you would be getting the full image right to the edge of the pages... or "full bleed".

With that said, there are other companies out there that do offer full bleed on glossy stock paper. I have been requesting quotes, and it appears we could get economical calendars produced with our own art work for comparable pricing to the buyer (you).

It seems like a no-brainer to me to order high quality units for maybe a dollar or two more than to purchase cheap calendars that if placed side by side may appear sub-standard.

SO.... I'm asking for some thoughts on the matter. I know we are in a recession, so I think its important to put this out to you all. What would you rather buy?

The cost difference is looking like $1.50 difference each between the full bleed printing as compared to the printing of smaller images framed by a border of paper.

I should mention that the calendars would be mailed out from my home (02832) to your home and will not be included in the price of the calendar no matter which print company we use.
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-09-07 23:37
I vote for the better quality
By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-09-21 14:32
Better quality is my vote as well.
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
ThunderBug, Surfer GT, 49 Dodge
By jim s 1837 Date 2011-09-21 15:48
I would say better quality. Where do we send the money?
  Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-09-21 20:11
Same here nigher quality.
By Gary F 2793 Date 2011-09-22 00:05
I use a company called MPIX for calendars. They do "Full Bleed" Their quality has been outstanding. In the five years I've used them, I've never had any poor quality products. Check them out. (mpix.com)
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-09-25 12:53
Gary, thanks for the lead... I will check them out. As far as $ goes, let me get this all sorted out and then I will be able to give better instruction on where/how to send payment.

Jay
By John S 2 Date 2011-10-06 03:39
You can do Full Bleed on Cafe Press also. and the advantage is they handle the money collection and dink with the shipping directly to the buyer.
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-11-18 11:09
Hey Jay just wondering how this is going? Will the calendars be ready before Christmas?
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-12-08 01:04
APB on Jay! Any news Jay? This cash is burnin a hole in the blue jeans!!!
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-12-29 01:07
We are all still interested Jay. I have an empty space on my office wall waiting for the calandar
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-12-29 01:56
Jay, I am still interested and hope you are okay and something unexpected did not happen Happy holidays
Andy
By Brian B 1822 Date 2012-01-11 13:58
Anybody have contact info for Jay? I could get this going for him if he wants. Hopefully everything is ok with him!
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2012-01-12 16:52
Email Us on the left menu bar includes Jay's email address. Paul..
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2012-06-07 13:05
Guys and gals,
I apologize. The original proofs I got turned out terrible. It was definitely not up to my expectation and I knew it wasn't something I could turn out to you all.

I was in the process of re-working the calendar when things in my personal life got complicated. The timeline for the calendar was tight, and I figured it was still going to be possible to turn out... but when I suddenly had to deal with issues on my end, it turned out a bust.

Again, I apologize. I felt really bad that I wasn't able to see this thing through this year.... so much so that when I began to have a few moments to get on to update this thread I didn't even feel like logging on to explain what happened.

I hope, moving forward and looking at next year's calendar that I can work with someone on this project to form a "team" so that it's not a one-person fail safe operation. If I happen to run across anything unexpected in the future, the other person or people in the team can continue with the project.

I have also learned a bit more about the printing process than I knew before, so things should run more smoothly in the future.

I hope everyone is understanding. I'm upset we all don't have calendars in front of us, but it was out of my control.

Best,
Jay
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Announcements / OFFICIAL 2012 Calendar Topic (12420 hits)