the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Off Topic / Rants and messages / Purchasing Tops question (4111 hits)
By SS-95 Date 2011-07-02 11:24 Edited 2011-07-02 12:28
were can i buy soft and/or hard tops for my buggy? Its a '61 Manx style VW powered buggy.
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-07-05 20:41
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=3416

i just had a soft top made for my buggy from a custome upolstry shop that specialzes in boat tops.
here is the link above. i rec. prices from $1200-1500
goosd luck
Andy
By Funnybug Date 2011-07-07 16:59
my only critism Andrew is the place should have known what the grooves in the windshield frame are for rather than installing those push buttons

.. just sayin ..

now i need to go look up how to spell critism correctly
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-07-07 19:25
We knew what the grooves were for but decided to go with the push buttons becuase i tow behind the RV at 75  to 80 mph on a trailer long distance and by tucking into the windshield we thought it might flip out.
I do not have any side bars ( like on a jeep) for support and it is a little floppy in the wind.
this way it is held on real tight.
I really only use the top for Towing when we go away so for my use it is the best. I think.... not sure but to each his own.
The guy who made the top does a lot of boats and he felt in high wind this would be the best for me.
Personally i would have gone the other way for looks but got what i got
Andy
By Bob P 2855 Date 2011-08-12 04:41
I have an original Road Runner and when I had the convertible top made back in the early 70's, the top was tucked into the front windshield frame. On my wife and my 40th anniversary, we took the Buggy out Rt 66, (the Mother Road) from NW Ohio to the Oklahoma Indian Teritory and back. The very first day of our trip we encountered near 100 degrees and very sunny so we had to run with the top up. Then the wind coming at us started to tug on the top where it was tucked into the windshield frame. We stopped along the road and I tucked some pennies and nickles into the channel along with the top material. It held for the next 9 days with no
problems at all. Been using them ever since.
Previous Next Up Topic Off Topic / Rants and messages / Purchasing Tops question (4111 hits)