the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / trailer for buggy (17060 hits)
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-06-23 06:39
   I would like to get a trailer for my buggy (doing a rebuild). One that would allow me to work on and under the buggy while on the trailer or take it to the shop or car wash, etc. Maybe even suspend the body over it. But all I have found is car haulers that are way overkill for my needs. I was thinking about asking a large local trailer building shop here if they can do a custom unit for me. I'm thinking a lot smaller than a car hauler but a little bigger than a common flat bed utility trailer. Maybe one like a lawn service uses to transport zero turn mowers but adjusted to fit a buggy. A comercial type Z-turn mower has to weigh almost as much as a buggy. Maybe more. And some of those trailers carry two or three large Z-turns.

My ride is a full chassis street rod so getting over the top of a ramp may be an issue. In forum photos, I have only seen buggies on car haulers and large flat beds. I would like the buggy/trailer package to be lite enough to be pulled by my full size 1/2 ton van or one of our Cherokees. They all do a great job of towing all our enclosed utility trailers (largest is 3000lbs gvw). The only advice I have been given is that I should have a double axel to carry a car. Give me more advice. What are y'all towing?

By the way, a local guy that races a rail buggy has a single axel trailer that is strictly bare bones. No deck! Like a cross between a boat trailer and a two wheeled car dolly. Drive it up on the front skid until the rear tires roll onto two short ramps. Front tires just hang. Strap it down and go wash the mud off.

Kirt
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-23 14:36
I have seen buggs on all kinds of trailers, some withe the wheels in the back and the front axel of the buggy slides up on the center rail of the trailer, LOL, and people tow them everwhere like that, I wouldnt classify the weight of a buggy as a car !!! I have a single axel and have towed quite some distances with it, My trailer was built to haul a nissan Z road course car, THE BOTTOM OF THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK IS OPEN SO THEY COULD WORK ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE, IT HAS SLIDE IN RAMPS ON THE SIDES AND I BOUGHT IT USED FOR 450 DOLLORS, if I were going to be under it I would add trailer fold down legs just for precaution, also it could use a bracket at the front to hook the come along too, it also wouldnt hurt if it were about 1 1/2 foot longer and 6 inches widder but it gets the job done for me just fine http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2332;pg=2
                                                                                                         Ken...................

By Rick M 333 Date 2011-06-23 15:06
The easiest thing to do is weigh the buggy. Take it to a truck scale or garbage dump and ask them to weigh it without you in it. That will give you the course of action to take. Overall weights are going to vary to body styles, but I doubt that it will weigh more than 1800 pounds. A single axle rated at 2500 should easily be able to handle the load.
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-06-23 19:16 Edited 2011-06-24 03:13
I used a landscape trailer similar to the one in the picture for many years behind our minivans.  It was 16' X 6.5' with a 2000# load capacity.  The only real issue was that our cars are really low, so the ramp had to be made longer.  I used 2 "oil change" ramps with 12" X 2" X 8' boards.  These type of trailers are light and you can remove the boards in the center for acess.  It even fit the full length chassis Manxter.  Tom

[url=][/url]
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Sandsurfer Date 2011-06-23 20:33 Edited 2011-06-23 20:36
Since gas prices took off, I parked the 1800lb car trailer:

I've been using a small lightweight 350lb aluminum utility trailer:

It also fits a Manx style buggy:

Although I try to not use a trailer at all. Just drive it where you are going:

Jerry....
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-06-23 23:45
Here's mine it's just long enough for the buggy and I built the sides out of light 1" box tubing and covered the sides with core-plast and the v-nose is 1/4 plywood. It's a solid axle which is a bit rough on the car. But it got me to Bonneville last year 2800 mile round trip without a hitch. It's made of formed 12ga steel and weighs about 700lbs

brad

By Sandsurfer Date 2011-06-24 03:52
Without a hitch? What did you use, rope to tie it to the tow vehicle?  ;-)
Jerry....
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 12:28
BUNGIE CORD, LOL
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-06-24 12:46
LOL it does kinda blend into the fence don't it. I'm more of a bail wire kinda guy........

brad
By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-06-24 14:08
I think he was refferring to your statement the trip went without a hitch
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
ThunderBug, Surfer GT, 49 Dodge
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 14:34
LOL, We all knew what we were saying Brian, LOL, IT WAS JUST A PICK AT THE CANADIAN THING.

Ken........................................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-06-24 16:34
LOL I'm a liddle slow on the uptake I guess. :-) Hey quit picking on me Ken or I'll break out the banjo and pig jokes.

brad
By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-06-24 16:44
Carefull with the Canadian thing Ken I am originally from Toronto and I may just come after you with my Sherwood Hockey stick!!!!!
Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 17:49
Sorry Kirt, sometimes these post tend to get HY JACKED, LOL, Sandsurfer started this with his rope remark, but as usual old rebel Ken gets the blame, thats OK, I aint SCERED of no Hocky stick, my hobby is TURKEY SHOOTING. I was in your neighbor hood and you didnt even know it, I took a picture as I went buy your house. Here it is.                                           Ken.........................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 17:54
Also on the way to Canada I went by the white house and took a picture of this little fellow playing in the street.

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 17:56
And anyway its not bad here in the SOUTH I think you would like it !!!!              

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 17:59
          Like I said, bring it on I AINT SCERED !!!!!!                   Ken.........................

By Brian B 1822 Date 2011-06-24 18:43
Ken you have a nice tan!

Brian Boggs,Katy Texas
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-24 20:04
Thats my next wife, LOL
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-06-24 21:35 Edited 2011-06-24 21:38
I didn't realise you had such big HILLS in the south, thought it was more flat than that.

You should popped in and said HI I was just heating up some whale blubber and seal meat stew for supper........smarta$$ :-)

I found a picture online of you at your last wedding....so that's what passes for a tux down there huh????

brad

Attachment: KEN.bmp (85.8k)
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-06-24 22:07
Yodelayohoo! Where's your climbing gear when you need it.
Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-25 15:54
Brad I knocked on your door but no one answered.

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-25 15:56
And your little dog growled at me so I left.

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-25 15:58
Your neighbors were outside so I told them to tell you I came by to see you.

By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-06-29 00:00
AHHH YOU FUNNY MAN MISSA KEN. What'd you think of the addition to the house? Way more privacy i nthe bedroom now without all those windows, but we kept 'em pretty dirty so it wasn't too bad, but the new room is much more private......

brad
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-06-29 07:35
You guys sound like a bunch of bitter angry old men... I like that about y'all.

HEY! Make fun of the south if you want to... But here in North Alabama you can go sit down for bacon and eggs at 5am and find yourself next to a soybean farmer, a software engineer, a Baptist pastor, an Army Colonel just back from Iroq, a hot blond female cop with a Russian accent, a VW mechanic and a rocket scientist. And  they are all likely to be talking politics and weather with the Wal-Mart manager and the missile defense expert that has to leave early to test a new Tri-Mode Guidanance System for Lockheed-Martin. http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/raytheonboeing-team-tests-tri-mode-seeker-for-missile-fly-off-337676/

Last winter it snowed 9 times (and the visitors from the north found out WHY you can not drive on southern snow... ha ha ha). In April we had 200mph F5 tornadoes that cut a path over 130 miles long. Then in the middle of June it is in the high 90's almost every day. Normal weather here can be just below 0 to just over 100. And when the ground shakes, it could be a tiny earth quake or a rocket engine test.

For you Yanks that don't know what GRITS are... We have two kind. One is a hot cereal you eat with your eggs, sausage, hash browns, biscuit, coffee, orange juice and pancakes. Oatmeal is made from oats and cream of wheat is made from wheat but GRITS is CORN ! It is cooked and recooked until it is puffed up x4. (called "Hominy" when you Yanks buy it in a can). Then it is dryed and ground similar to corn meal. Thus the nick-name GRITS. But don't eat instant or 5min. grits. You have to have REAL cooked grits. Make sure someones grandmother is in the kitchen "takin' care of business".

The other kind of GRITS is... Girls Raised In The South. GRITS call you "hon" , "babe" , "sugar" , "sweetie" and "darlin". They can reload "Windows 7" or your shotgun and don't have to ask how to drive a stick. They can change a tire and a diaper the right way and they cook and sing better than your mother. They know most of Psalms and Proverbs and when to use them. They make any clothes look good and buggy grease on their face is cute. They don't tell you to wash the car. They drive your truck to get mud on it. They go to church and the car show with you and bring you dinner when you're working in the back yard after dark. And when you been married for 50 years, she still grabs your butt and you know what she wants.

That's why I need a trailer for my buggy. Rocket science and GRITS !

Kirt
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-06-29 12:10
Lets face it Kirt, ever since those Yankees growed wings and migrated here to the south things have not been the same, the epidemic is spreading, I got a feeling grits may be the answer, if we can just get them to start eating grits our rocket scientist can come up with some anti yankee grits, which will cause them to grow a rocket out of their butts and shoot them back up north, LOL, Just kidding we love our yankees here, medium, medium well or well done, with a lot of Bubbas BBQ sauce.       Ken.............
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-06-29 14:24
Thanks Kirt, ya made my morning :-) Western Canadians are held in the same regard as you Southern folk by people from the East. They all think we're a bunch of backwoods, dirt farmin', Rednecks. That's OK 'cause  we all think they're a bunch of boorish snobs and we have all the oil. :-)

I tried grits when I was in Kentucky, sorry guys, didn't like 'em. Catfish, collard greens and fried apples, I could eat that all day long.

How's the trailer shopping going? ;-)

brad
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-07-02 04:31
Still looking. Thanks guys for the photos. Some of them are ideas I had not thought about. If I could afford it, it would be nice to have an enclosed racing trailer with a rear ramp door and a side door. This is a racing community and there are plenty of those for sale used. But a used one like that cost about twice what I paid for the buggy and they are long and heavy with two or three axels and surge brakes. They have space for a workshop up front and if you want, you can get one long enough to take two or three cars, or one car and a mother-in-law. Anyway, even the smallest one needs a big truck to pull it. I could have a shorter lite weight built but it would cost as much as a new long one.

A flat bed or side rail is not my first choice but the green stuff I get on pay day has other ideas. I will just keep looking and saving. Sooner or later, the right money will match up with the right trailer (maybe).

Kirt
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-07-02 14:04
Kirt - I was in the same predicament as you are when I wanted to upgrade to an enclosed trailer.  I didn't have a truck or trailer.  I ended up buying one of these

[url=][/url]

for the price of just a truck that could haul an enclosed trailer.  It has ramps inside and a winch.  Drives easier than a truck & trailer and I pay less for tolls.  You can find used ones from Penske whenever the upgrade the fleet.

The downside is that it is harder to loan & unload the toy inside.  Tom
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-07-03 07:35
Thats a great idea. I know they do make them with an additional door on the side. I know of a lawn service that uses one for his z-turn and everything else. More secure than a trailer too. I think I will add it to my shopping list. Thanks for the tip.

On a side note: When I'm not at my regular job, I'm a mobile DJ and a drummer. One of the many uses for our trailers. The July (I think) issue of "Mobile Beat" magazine has an article about privately owned commercial trucks. There are new laws around the country that require the private owner to meet the same standards as a fleet operator. CDL license, regular inspections, fire extinguisher, DOT reg. number, etc. This effects the mobile DJ and lawn service, etc. but it also effects the family that transports their 4 wheelers and tows a camper or large boat for a weekend outing or a mobile pit crew for your kids quarter midget racer. Lots of non-fleet owners will need to comply. Can not put my hands on that magazine issue at the moment, but I think the main issue is "the gross vehicle weight for a given style of truck".

Just passing that along in case anyone out there did not know about the new laws. If you know more about the details, please share. There may be other guys that, like myself, would consider buying a rig like yours.

Kirt
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-07-03 13:28
Kirt - I have not heard of these possible new rules.  The box van that we bought has a GVW of 12,300#.  It is registered with a combination plate in CT which is what most pick-ups have.  We do a commercial plate catagory for the "real" commercial vehicles.  My regular insurance company is insuring it, after I helped them figure out what it was because the VIN was not in the system because GM sold it as a partally completed vehicle, not knowing what the end configuration would be.  It makes for a nice extra "garage space" when not hauling also.  Tom
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-07-04 13:53
Kirt,

My trailer started off as a $300 flat deck. For about $100 I added a steel frame, sides and v-nose, plus about 4 hours of welding. I had all the pieces cut and just had to weld it together. Another $50 for fenders and a $30 wiring harness and it was ready to go. the wheels, tires and new bearings were the most expensive part, but it had to go on my 3400 mile trek to Utah and back so it was cheap insurance.

brad
By Sandsurfer Date 2011-07-04 16:30
Here is an easy to build, lightweight, easy to load and pull trailer for a buggy.

Jerry....
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-07-06 06:47
As I have been shopping the last few days, I have been leaning toward a custom build or getting a 6x12 ATV trailer and do the mods I need. ATV trailer is not as strong as a landscape trailer but it weighs a lot less. I shop onward toward the goal.

I will see if I can locate that article about the new laws...

Kirt
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-07-06 22:36
Speaking of trailers! I have not done much towing in my life and was wanting to know how much it effects your gas mileage. I would be towing my buggy (once it's finished) with either a tow bar or a light trailer and would be towing it to S. Carolina, 650 miles with a Acura MDX.
Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-07-07 00:29
I think the tow bar would be the way to go for gas milage, only thing to remember is backing is a problem with a tow bar. If you are going to have to worry about backing up you are best with a trailer, Cant really tell you on the gas mileage with the Acura I would think you will lose around 3-4 mpg with a tow bar and maby lose 6-7 mpg with trailer, just a guess Jim.                         Ken......................
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-07-07 01:48
Thanks Ken! I would love to take it down to Surfside Beach with us next summer.
Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-07-07 02:27
With my truck (4 cyl. Colorado x-cab) a lot depends on the terrain. Here in Canada, they don't believe in flattening out the surroundings when building major roads, just follow the lay of the land. they smooth out the little stuff, but lots of ups and downs on our roads. I get about 20-22 MPG with my truck and trailer at the speed limit (100kph). Now when I was in the USA last year, where you guys will move mountains to keep the interstate at an almost flat grade I was getting 24-26 mpg at 70mph. If I drive my truck at an easy 60mph (100kph), I've gotten 35mpg and at 67mph (110kph) 33mpg. The short sides and V-nose really helped out with mileage as the buggy was mostly out of the wind. They are basically a brick aerodynamically, so if it's sitting on a trailer it's gonna kill your gas mileage.

brad
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-07-07 02:34
With the MDX being taller and wider then the buggy, I was thinking aerodynamically it wouldn't be as much of a problem as the additional weight.
Kellison Jim
By Sandsurfer Date 2011-07-07 13:37
My truck is a 1 ton 78 GMC pickup with a carburated 502 cid and a turbo 400 trans. I get about 14 mpg on the highway, running 75mph, unloaded. Towing an 1800 lb trailer with a ready to run Manx on it, I get 14 mpg at 75 mph.

The smaller the engine the more effect the trailer will have on the fuel economy. I would also be reluctant to tow with any of the new cars. The manufacturers are cutting weight and costs, which means the transmissions in newer vehicles do not last when towing.
If the buggy is complete, DRIVE IT don't tow it, It's more fun.
Jerry....
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-07-08 18:25
Though I'm still looking for a buggy trailer, I have done a lot of towing other things. As for aerodynamics, thats a funny thing. In NASCAR, a lone racer is not as fast as a car with another one drafting right on his bumper. But when you get up to three cars, you loose the effect.(score one point for the tow bar)

"The Mythbusters" tested the theory that a pickup with the gate down gets better gas millage than with the gate up. Though it seems like common sense and a lot of automotive products are sold based on this theory, "The Mythbusters" found that the gate up was the millage winner. And remember, a golf ball has less wind resistance because of the demples. This is also being tested with aircraft and baseball bats. I'm just saying, when it comes to aerodynamics, things may not be what they appear to be. With that said, the issues with gas millage is this:

1) Around town, its going to be ACCELERATION. The number of times you have to get your tow up to speed from a standing stop. The smaller the engine, the more gas it will take to do it each time. Proper transmission management is a big help. Torque is king in town.

2) Up hill at low or high speed. At low speed you are not making as much foward progress per engine RPM as at high speed. However, there is less wind resistance at low speed. Then when you go down hill, the engine does less work but it is stll running. Low speed down hill has some gravity advantage over wind resistance BUT you also have less momentum. Watch what 18 wheelers do. They use gravity to overcome wind resistance, and momentum to assist in hill climbing. But when flat, they try NOT to change speed. Constant speed, better MPG.

3) Wheels on a trailer make for a lot less rolling resistance and less stress on the car. Short trip, tow bar. Medium trip, wheel dolly. Long trip, trailer it. You will notice what motor home people do... They follow this rule if the car is front wheel drive. But if it is rear wheel drive, they are even more conservative. They even remove the drive shaft if it is a rear drive. Front, rear, or 4WD, things are still moving in there.

4) Wind resistance is the biggest GAS HOG! Go drive on a 40 MPH city street, roll down your window and put your hand behind the SIDE VIEW MIRROR. Then move your hand up above the mirror. Feel that? That is only at 40 MPH. At 70 MPH you are using as much gas to overcome wind as to move the vehicle.

When I tow my 5x8 enclosed light duty trailer with a full sized van, I can feel it. It has a straight axel and leaf springs and rides tall. I have a 5x8 heavy duty Wells Cargo enclosed with a torsion bar axel. Though it weighs a lot more, it rides the same height as the van and tows a lot better. I do not have any experience with a V-NOSE trailer but I do have a 6x12 enclosed with a fiberglass nose on the front and a drop axel with leaf springs. It is the biggest, longest from ball to axel, weighs the most and carrys the most cargo. Yet, wheather I tow it with full sized van or my little Cherokee, in town or interstate, it gets the best gas millage and is easy and smoother to tow. That nose does a lot (and it looks real cool). One of the prior photos had a custom built V-NOSE on a flat bed. Also keeps rocks off your buggy or motorcycle.

I think the main thing is this: The farther you are going to go on your longest regular trip, the more protection you should give the buggy. The other trips will fit in OK. I think the MPG to get there will still fit the same rule and will still be acceptable. A WIN-WIN for you and the buggy. But also consider that with a trailer you can carry more stuff and an enclosed trailer or a box van hides your stuff (I don't like people looking at my stuff) And you can lock it up. Plus you have more protection from weather (a rolling garage) and you can use it for other task as well.

The other thing that has the most effect on MPG is how you drive. Put a vacuum gauge on your dash so you can keep up with what your engine is doing, because knowledge is power! Also, you can start with a tow bar or dolly, later sell it and move up to a flat trailer. Sell that and move up to an enclosed trailer or box-van. Anything that you tow keeps resale value if you take care of it. You can sell a dolly or trailer for what you paid for it if you don't tear it up. A box or cube van (like the one a few postings above this) is going to get almost the same MPG loaded with buggy as empty but you must insure it. But a tow behind is usually covered by what ever insurance is on the tow vehicle. Check your policy or agent.

Happy towing !
Kirt
By mwmanx Date 2011-07-10 06:29
When i built my single axle trailer i pulled my rail buggy out in the driveway and took angle iron and surrounded it. Made it so the rear tires would ride against the fenders requiring one tie down up front for short trips. The thing i didn't plan on was needing a four seater someday. So if you have one built make sure you leave room to grow! Another thing, once you have a trailer everyone wants to borrow it!!!!
By Kirt M 1177 Date 2011-07-19 15:35
I went to the local VW club "BUGGIN IN JULY" show last weekend. Most of them came from North Alabama but many from neighboring states too. I saw a good mix of...

I drove it here
I towed it here
Small as possible flat bed trailer
Bigger flat bed trailer
Car hauler
Enclosed car trailer
And one Super Duty truck pulling an enclosed car trailer AND a mid sized car hauler

I also saw a two axel boat trailer converted to buggy trailer. Cool setup.

I also met a local couple, Fae and Ray, (like King Kong's Fae Ray) They have (or she lets him have) 13 cars. But he wants to spend more time on his classic Vette so he is selling his 1970 Manx SR (serial no. 1128) 69 chassis with 67 type 3 engine $7500. I told him about DBA and to post it in for sale. If he does not get around to it (due to having 13 cars and a wife), I will post the info for him.

TRAILER FOR SALE ! If anyone needs a three car hauler, there is one near me for sale. Made like the big 18 wheeler car haulers but small for a super duty pickup. I'm not sure if it needs the "goose neck ball" in the pickup bed  or the "mini 5th wheel disc" in the bed (like on an 18 wheeler). The back of it is facing the highway so I could not see it. But if anyone is intrested, I will stop and get the details and price.

I'm still shoping for my trailer...
Kirt
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-07-19 18:11
WHAT NO TRAILER YET KIRT !!!!!! YOU DONT NEED NO STINKIN TRAILER, LOL.              Ken..............

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-07-19 18:14
I vote for the small flat bed traler if it will haul this it will haul a buggy just fine !!!!!          Ken.........

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-07-19 18:16
Or just use a horse trailer, that way the horse want get lonely, LOL.            Ken...............................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-07-19 18:27
And dont let me forget a Canadian Joke for our buddys !!!!

An Atlantic-Canadian goes into a coffee shop and notices there's a "peel and win" sticker on her coffee cup. So she peels it off and starts screaming, "I've won a motor home! I've won a motor home!"

The waitress says, "That's impossible. The biggest prize is a free Lunch."

But the Atlantic-Canadian keeps on screaming, "I've won a motor home! I've won a motor home!"

Finally, the manager comes over and says, "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. You couldn't have possibly won a motor home because we didn't have that as a prize!"

The Atlantic-Canadian says, "No, it's not a mistake. I've won a motor home!"

She hands the ticket to the manager and HE reads... "W I N A B A G E L"

Attachment: joke.bmp (71.2k)
By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-07-20 00:00
lord tunderin' jesus boy, whad da hell a Atlantic-Canadian??????? OH, you mean Newfy?????? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

brad
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / trailer for buggy (17060 hits)