the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / oil light vrs oil gauge. (2595 hits)
By stressfree s 2527 Date 2011-04-24 11:44
motor rebuilder put in oil light sender wont warrenty with gauge.wants the idiot light. what do you think.also do amp gauges work good with gens.didnt get alt gen was good.doenst show charging but volt meter is 14.4v.
By Sandsurfer Date 2011-04-24 12:35
The light is far better than the gauge. There is no reason to run an amp gauge if you have a functioning volt meter. If the volt meter is reading 14.4 when the engine is running and around 12.5 when it's not running, the gauge and generator are functioning correctly.
Jerry....
By Rick M 333 Date 2011-04-24 13:45
To a point a light is better than a gauge. It has to come on at the right time. Most often, a factory warning sender comes on too late. I've always run both in my cars; a gauge allows you to monitor trends. And I've always used a volt meter rather than an amp meter, since an amp meter especially has to be wired correctly to work (requires a much larger cable than one would think).
By stressfree s 2527 Date 2011-04-24 22:05
i dont have a voltmeter installed i used a handheld tester to check voltage cause the amp meter doesnt move.moves in the neg when starting.if i have to replace the amp meter why not a volt meter.i have a pressure gauge installed orginaly but when the rebuild was done they put a light sender in.half to put a light in or buy a pressure transducer.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / oil light vrs oil gauge. (2595 hits)