the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Corvair Power / When in doubt... washers? (4922 hits)
By Rick M 333 Date 2011-02-14 22:44
My dumb question for the day: Getting ready to hang the flywheel on the engine. Bought the setup from Starr here on the forum; the flywheel is a modified VW unit drilled and machined for the Corvair crank. Nice piece, really - all one unit including the ring gear. Anyway, the mounting holes have small recesses which I am assuming are for hard washers. Starr didn't include any mounting hardware; am I safe using the old Corvair flywheel bolts or should I start fresh? I know there are two schools on using hardware that's already been torqued. I'm hoping that I can find the correct hardened bolts if I need to swap them out!
Thanks,
Rick
By ManxRob Date 2011-02-14 22:58
The Crown instructions call for special bolts, available from OTTO (Clarks) or GM.

Rob

By Rick M 333 Date 2011-02-15 00:17
Right. I have those instructions; Clarks doesn't carry those kits/bolts anymore. I wouldn't know what to ask for if the GM ones were still available... hence part of the question about re-using the original bolts.
By ManxRob Date 2011-02-15 00:51
I've done a couple of Corvair into VW swaps, but am no expert. I have always used the bolts that came with the kit, or the ones that came already installed on the used engine with the adapter already installed.

Here is a recent thread from CorvairCenter forum that may shed some light:
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,370477,371107#msg-371107
In particular the thread pitches and bolt lengths.

Please post what you come up with.
By Rick M 333 Date 2011-02-15 02:12 Edited 2011-02-15 03:17
Huh... not big on trying to drill and re-tap a crank end. Let me do some more digging...

*edit* just read a guy's blog on doing an aircraft conversion and had to re-tap his holes to the 3/8-24 thread. He had set his crank up on a jig under a drill press and drilled and tapped that way, then was talking with some other builders who simply re-tapped their cranks without drilling. As the guy said, it's "only 1/32 to tap"... which makes much more sense to me. So... barring not finding a suitable solution, I may just have to do just that - which means dropping the oil pan again to chase the shavings out!
By Rick M 333 Date 2011-02-15 18:05
Ok, just talked with Starr and he said for sure to upgrade and tap for the 3/8-24 bolts. Take the oil pan off, tap the threads and go with ARP fasteners and red locktite. So... bolts are ordered, and tapping will have to wait until I have time!
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Corvair Power / When in doubt... washers? (4922 hits)