the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Mark II Sportsman disscussion (21155 hits)
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-01-19 00:13
I am going to have Paul move the Sportsman disscussion from my Sportsman build page.
Kellison Jim
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-12 03:55
I was just surfing this forum and I saw your car. I have one just like it, but didn't know who the manufacture was. I assume from your chat that it is a Mark II Sportsman. Do you have any history on these? There is none here in the Archives. I have just started rebuilding mine and have a long way to go (not as far as you)... You can look at in the X files, x0067 that's mine. Any info would be appreciated. Bruce
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-01-12 04:15 Edited 2011-01-12 04:21
Bruce,
Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about the Mark II Sportsman. I've tried googling it and I came up empty every time.
Bruce, the X-Files only go up to X-0056
Kellison Jim
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-12 04:52
Jim it actually goes to X0067. You have to click on the X-Files and scroll down to the end. Confusing I know. I just scanned the Internet too and you are the only one that shows up. Too bad you have no background. I bought this one from a guy here east of Los Angeles and he got it from someone a little north of LA. So we now know that they made at least 2 of them.... Thanks for responding, Bruce

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-13 11:33
Actually, you are both right.... confusing I know. We would have accepted 39 as well. :-)

The old HTML page shows 39 x files: http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/registry/XFiles

The published (active) X-files go up to 56. http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/?first=x

Then there is the registry, where you can register and find like owners. This is a good system for known bodies, but for the x-files its a little strange, unless you figure that there is a benefit to knowing there are others out there who also do not know what body they have. This is a less exacting #system, as the person adding the buggy can modify the number to be whatever they want. In any event, the Registry of X files does indeed to go 67, but i question how many numbers got skipped along the way in the registry.
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/registry/XFiles

Just thought I'd clarify a little so you both don't wonder what the heck the other guy is talking about.

By the way... This is the current and "active" version of the X-files: http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/?first=x (This is the area we link to when discussing a body style that we don't know)

Jay
By Kenny U 2150 Date 2011-01-13 16:09
Bruce, I also have a Sportsman. Have you found the ID tag ? Mine looked like a business card inlaid in the back of the body.   Mine is # 590. Kenny
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-14 02:37
Jay, we now know that there is at least 3 Mark II Sportsman buggies out there, how do we get into the registry as a known manufacturer? There maybe more of us out there.... Bruce
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-14 02:38
Kenny, I will check it out. Is it under the body. Do you have any photos? I haven't seen any ID so far on this body. My body has been repainted and some unwanted mods made to it, but I've wanted a buggy for a long time and I found this one at a reasonable price. I like the body style, seems very close to a Meyers. I had a Meyers back in the '70, it was the most fun car I have ever had. If you have photos please post them here or sent them to me at bruce@SuperpartsUSA.com... It would be nice if we had a Sportsman Registry on this website.
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-01-14 03:47 Edited 2011-01-14 03:50
Bruce, I believe it is in this general area (yellow rectangle). I have not been able to locate mine, but then it may be covered with undercoating. Once I get her out to start the body work I'll try to get some of the undercoating off and see what I can find.

Jay and Bruce I still haven't been able to find X-0067. Maybee I bee not 2 brite?

Kellison Jim
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-14 05:22
Thanks for the Info Jim. I will check it out tomorrow. I just looked at the Registry and it seems to be all jumbled up. It is best to wait for all of them to load and then you have to look down though every one as they are not in order.  X0067 now follows X0039 and a couple after that without numbers..... ? I only found it because I was looking through everyone trying to find another match. It's not you it's the program....
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-14 12:05 Edited 2011-01-14 12:16
LOL Jim,
It's not you... It's the registry. Things are not what they seem. if you find Glasser's "Alberta Canada made"... its above that one.

Yah Bruce... this is the area for owners to get together if they have the same buggy. It's not intended to be the list of current X files. It takes enough work for two people to keep the X files relatively up to date. Personally, I think we should take off the X and following number on every one of these registry entries and simply name all the ones that are "X": "Unknown buggy"

That way people don't get it confused with the X files as I did when I was new to the site... Ahhh more work. But I digress.

Jay
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-14 12:09
Bruce,
Paul typically creates the registry entrants. I'll send him an email to see if he can make this entry.

Jay
By Kenny U 2150 Date 2011-01-14 13:06
Bruce , Jims picture is very close .Mine is about 11 inches over from the left side . It is the size of a business card and looks like they laid it right in the fiberglass with a clear over it. I will take pictures of mine today. Kenny
By Kenny U 2150 Date 2011-01-14 21:55

Bruce , this is the id location. Kenny
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2011-01-15 00:33
Here's your new registry: http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/registry/MarkDistCorp

Is there any relation between the Mark II Sportsman and the Glitterbug Sportsmans Pickup besides they both have "Sportsman" in the name?

Could someone write a paragraph on any known history of Mark Dist Corp and the Mark II Sportsman? If no history is know, a quick description of the Mark II Sportsman with identifying features like the business card (a cool feature) would be a huge help.  I'll give you credit in the registry for it. Thank you, Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-15 03:57
Jim and Kenny, I took a look today but didn't see any thing. They created an access to the transaxle and battery by cutting a lid opening in the rear seat. It looks like it would be in that same area and maybe they destroyed it when they did that.... disappointing if they did. Again thanks for the info.. I'll keep looking...
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-15 04:11
Jay, I think what you guys are doing is really great. I think you need to keep a number or ID system on each car or it would be too hard to describe which unknown car you are referring to. The X file numbers are good, they're just a little mixed up. I am sure there are a lot of enthusiast out there that would love to know their cars roots.... Thanks to you guys I can now claim I have a "MARK II Sportsman!"

Bruce
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-01-15 04:14
Paul, thanks for adding a registry for the Sportsman. Just an FYI.. you have Mark spelled a couple of times as "Marrk"
I'll get some good photos of the body and between the three of us we'll come up with some good info.
Kellison Jim
By Kenny U 2150 Date 2011-01-15 04:34
I have spent the last 3 hours looking at my Hot VWs, Sport Buggies and Road Test/Dune Buggy magazines from 1967 to the early 70`s and could not find anything on the Sportsman. I will dig out the mid 70`s tomorrow.  I am about 30 magazine short of having all of Hot Vws from 1967 to present.  Kenny
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-15 04:35
Paul, I don't think the Glitterbug and the Mark II were made by the same company. The GB was made in San Francisco and the MII was made in Oklahoma City. The differences I see in the cars would be the dashboard and the front license plate area is recessed.

I think others have better information than I do on the MII, but I can do the paragraph if you want, by just combining the info talked about here.

Bruce
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-15 04:36
Jim, Sounds good...
Bruce
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-01-15 04:48 Edited 2011-01-15 17:21
Bruce, if you can, please take some photos of your dash, tail and hood. I am not sure you have a Sportsman. The two things that jump out to me are how your rear fenders are more distinct and drop off at the rear, where as mine and Kenny's blend in with the tail. And our hoods curve down and back and have a indentation for the license plate. But then again it is possible that yours has been cut on in the past. More photos would help.
Red=Bruce
Orange=Jim
Yellow=Kenny

Kellison Jim
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2011-01-15 19:30
Sticky R...  I fixed the one double r I found. Please let me know if you see more examples of it spelled wrong. 
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-16 03:15
Jim, Hey maybe I don't have a Mark II. I can see what you are saying. There are differences. The rear license plate area has been cut, but I have that and will add for the photos. I don't have a recessed front license plate area. The rear fenders are different. The dash board is also a little different.....  I will do some photos on Monday (I'll be gone on Sunday) and post them. I can not find the business card sized ID on the car....Maybe I am an unknown again..... how disappointing... back to being an X-File.....Bruce
By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-16 21:07
Jin & Kenny, these are the photos. There are a lot of differences between your and mine. I guess I am still unknown... Bruce

By BC 2011 Date 2011-01-16 21:14
I think the bottom of the dash was straight before and was cut for knees. The hood is different, no recess for the license plate. The rear fenders are also different.  Not the same body.... Bruce
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-16 21:18
Bruce, why don't you start a discussion in the "dune buggy ID help needed - x files" forum?  If you ask me, you have a Safari, but why don't we take the discussion about your buggy to a new thread.

Jay
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-22 14:41
Bruce, did you ever check your body out against the Safari? I think that's what you've got there. Just wondering if you've confirmed or not.

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/?first=s

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/gallery/base/Safari/?base=14c1bea73f59fa988f66d00d169ceb04

Jay
By Kellison Jim Date 2011-03-14 00:34
Kenny, I finally got the Sportsman out from under the deck and checked for the Mark II ID tag. And low and behold it WAS under the undercoating right where you said it would be.

Kenny, I also sent you a PM.

Kellison Jim
By Kenny U 2150 Date 2011-03-14 00:58
Jim ,
Thats great you found the ID # .   I finally had a weekend to work on the Sportsman . We finished the demo of the Delphi plant so now I have some time.  I will post some pics soon. I have not found any other wheels yet .
Kenny
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Mark II Sportsman disscussion (21155 hits)