the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / My Auto Cross Buggy build (16466 hits)
By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-27 21:31
I decided to seperate my AutoCross Buggy build from my Salt Life Build. This buggy was purchased back in May of 2010, I wanted it just for the body, we did end up using the chassis under the SAlt Life / Mountian Buggy build, but we also sold off alot of the used parts or parts that were too cobbled up for safe street use. I am aiming to build this buggy to drive on the street, Autocross, track test days ride and I might even take it to the beach once in awhile. Here are some early picks

By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-27 21:35
I decided to use a custom built tube chassis instead of just cutting a bettle pan and try to make it be level and handle well and handle a High Output motor if I wanted, so I went to Marc Iannuzzi's Race Cars in Middleburg Florida and had him build me a complete chassis using the transaxle and balljoint frontend from the old buggy frame.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-27 21:43
I've decided to use 2.5" BJ drop spindles, 4 wheel disk brakes, scat T-handle shifter, Porsche guages that fit right in the dash, a Grant steering wheel, new pedal set, I have refurbished the front end and the steering, the rear is completly gone thru and the transaxle has been freshend up and the axles are all new. The wheels are American Torq Thrust and they are 17"x7" in the Front and 17"x10" in the rear. The tires are some used tires for rolling around right now, but these wheels appear to be large enough to fit my need for wide tires with low profiles.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-27 21:48
I had the cage setup to fit me, I'm 6'2" and weight arounf three hundered, so the chassis is setup to use jeep CJ 7 seat brackets and to mount the low profile kerker type aluminum race seats or the plastic dunebuggy seats, whatever the mood will be. The cage can be removed from the chassis with the removal of 4 main hoop bolts and then the 4 rear body bolts up in the top of the rear seat area. It is setup to use Harley Davidson motorcycle mirrors mounted on the front cage downtubes, I also got the High Output, HID square bike lights for the front, not sure what to do about turnsignals yet. Getting behind on the Mountian bug build, this will have to be put off for awhile.
By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-27 21:50
Well, after I pulled all of the previous info from the mountian bug / saltlife buggy build I 'm doing, I have realized that this project is going to be a long time from getting done. I hope to get to it someday soon. Later.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-09-28 00:29
That's a stout lookin' chassis, you should be able to throw anything you want at that!!!! Is the front beam welded right into the chassis? Going to be a nice ride some day, hopefully not to far off. BTW have you priced out 17" "R" compound tires? You might want another set of 15" wheels with race tires mounted on them for autocross :-) .

brad
By Stickerdick Date 2010-10-01 20:19
I'll cross that bridge if I ever get there, The tires can always be 15" race, 17" fun. We'll see how that goes
By Curtis B 2112 Date 2010-10-02 23:19
I have a question-I am doing something real similar-what is your thought on strength of new frame (mine will be mainly used for offroad?
Thanks!
Curt in Socal
By Stickerdick Date 2010-10-04 00:18
it has little to no flex and everything lines up. can't ask for more than that.
By john l 2308 Date 2010-10-07 02:51
Love ur build pretty much the same car I'm building. I'll get pics of mine real soon maybe we can share ideas
By Stickerdick Date 2010-11-15 21:35
buggy got sold to a new owner this last weekend at bugjam 1750.00 as it sat. my loss, their gain
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-11-16 00:06
Sorry you had to sell it (if that's the case) the new owner got a hell of a deal.

brad
By gtrplyr Date 2015-04-12 22:01
I purchased this buggy in a closer to finished state. This is a great chassis and will make a nice street car.

Attachment: 1242014034.JPG (270.1k)
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / My Auto Cross Buggy build (16466 hits)