the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / new windshield install (9637 hits)
By ManxVairNY Date 2010-09-05 19:49
I just bought a new windshield and frame. It came with the rubber seal and I'm having a tough time getting the seal to spread onto the hood while trying to install the frame. Is there an easier way to do this? I know that I will not be able to do this alone!
I do not have mounting holes drilled in the frame or body yet.

Attachment: DSC00045.JPG (526.2k)
By minivolks Date 2010-09-07 19:34
Try warming the rubber to make it more pliable.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-09-12 20:03
Yup,
You kind of answered your own question. You are going to need help to get the windshield holes drilled with the windshield at the correct angle. I understand the rubber issue. Try sitting it in the sunlight or, as suggested, use heat to make it pliable.

Jay
By Barry H 2685 Date 2011-04-25 13:51
Where did you find the frame? I have one that's kind of beat up, and would like a new one.
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-04-25 15:42
Some people don't drill holes in the frame.  They use "T" bolts and slide the frame down on the body and then tighten the bolts.  This would help with the rubber problem also, because you can compress it as much as it will go, and the tighten the frame there.

One other point that I noticed on your car - your windshield glass did not have the AS1 safety marking, unless it is out of the picture you posted.  In CT, you would not be able to register the car without it.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-04-25 17:33
you can try putting in a bucket of hot water. that will warm up whole thing at once
Andy
By Sandsurfer Date 2011-05-15 01:02
I ran 2 pieces of nylon string the length of the rubber plus a couple feet on each end, I attached it to the rubber with some Scotch tape. Once the seal is close to being in position you pull both ends of one of the strings (front of the gasket or rear of the gasket) and it will pull the lip of the rubber out. Repeat the procedure on the other side. Do this with someone applying downward pressure on the windshield frame to hold the gasket in position.
Jerry....
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Advice / new windshield install (9637 hits)