the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Kens Allison Shriner buggy (6686 hits)
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-27 15:50 Edited 2010-07-27 15:54
This is not a build " just a get it like you want it post "

In 1973 my dad bought a lavender metal flake Spatz from one of the local Shriners Ed Bowers, When dad went to pay Ed he was told that " you cant get it till this weekend ? Why not was my Dads reply, " Well we have practice behind the Rock Hill mall this Sun. ( malls were closed on Sun. back then ) and you can pick it up there, OK I guess was dads reply, I was 13 at the time and I to couldnt wait to have fun in the new buggy even though dad had allready built a couple allready, So Sun. after church dad said lets go get that buggy son, he was pretty cool and at 13 was going to let me drive it home while he followed. Well to my surprise we pulled up in the parking lot to 7 brand new red metal flake Allisons and the lavender Spatz, Seems that the Shriners practiced in the rear parking lot their manuvers for the parades and the compititions they had with the buggys back then , MAN THOSE ALLISONS WERE COOL, I told my dad " Hey dad we need one of those buggys " Dad just laughed and said " WE CANT AFFORD ONE OF THOSE BUGGYS SON " Well we watched them practice and Ed jumped in a Allison with one of the other shriners and told me and dad to take care of his baby, seems he loved that Spatz so much that he was the last one to hold out to buy a new Allison and was going to Falorida to pick up his new Allison that week.

Well Dad it took me a long time but I finally got us one, too bad dads not here to enjoy it with me, but to me he is here in spirit, So here is my newest toy a 1973  Memphis Tenn Shriners Allison Dune Buggy, It was a long weekend of driving to get her, around 26 hours of seat time, well at least we visited Graceland while we were there, This site is just to share the buggy with other buggy lovers, I dont plan on to many changes but will document them as I go, It has a new 1671, new sterio, and new tires, I have allready taken for a 600 mile trip and she runs and drives great, Seems the tires I thought it had had been changed out so that is one of the first things to get it like I want it, here are pictures of what he sent me and pictures of when I brought it home, Seems it went from big rubber to little puny tires so that will be taken care of, He had the original Allison emblem so I refurbished it and took off the letters "YOSIE" which was the name of their shriner motor division there in Memphis,             Ken..........................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-27 15:57
Here are the pictures of it when I got it home, Darn shame the ROAD HUGGERS ARE GONE,

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-29 20:56
I made a couple of small improvements, # 1 was changing out the eagle on the front with a new one, and # 2 taking off the chrome letters on the rear and refurbishing the Allison emblem and installing it, here are pictures.          Ken.................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-29 21:03 Edited 2010-07-29 21:38
Allright I couldnt stand those small tires any more so I brought out the 15 x 8 1/2 inch shelby cal 500 slotted dish that came on the rear of my red Allison, I bought a set of 15 x 4 1/2 inch front slotted dish a few weeks back,( seeing as how no one makes 13 " white letter tires anymore ) so it was sand and buff time, I taped the wheels and blasted the slot holes to clean them up and then sanded and polished all four wheels, here are the pictures of that.           Ken....................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-29 21:37
Now that my wheel situation was all straight it was on to the new tires, I was told by a big name tire store around the corner from me that no one makes tires short enough for the front in white letters, good thing I am hard headed and dont listen, after searching the internet I found that BF Goodrich makes the BF GOODRICH TA RADIAL WHITE LETTER IN A 155/80/15, I knew this would be perfect for the front 15 x 4 1/2 wheels, I went back to the tire store and had them order two 155/80/15 front tires, and two 175/60/15 rear tires, asked could they match the internet tire prices and they said yes. yea right, when it came down to it they added shipping to the internet price to jack up their price, OH WELL welcome to american big buisness they wanted to charge a additional 60 for lugs and wouldnt use the studs that were on my hubs so I said to he!! with them paid them and brought them home to put them on myself, they didnt even wash off the blue on the tires and made a mess of the wheels I spent hours polishing, well welcome to real life its not like it was when I pumped gas, checked the oil and added if needed, put air in peoples tires and washed their winshields. So back to the buggy, I have the look and the stance I wanted and am very happy with how it looks, here are pictures.   Ken........................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-29 21:55 Edited 2010-07-29 21:58
Here are the before and after pictures hows it look with the bigger tires and wheels and white letters ? It sure turns a lot easier with the shinny tires on the front feels like power steering now.           Ken...................

By Rick M 333 Date 2010-07-29 22:03
Looks great, Ken! But that hood ornament has gotta go...
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-30 01:24
Good choice on the tires Ken really keeps with the theme of the car. America isn't the only place you'll get hung out to dry by retailers, or get crappy service.....

Nice buggy, I'm envious. A four seater would be kinda fun once in a while.

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-30 02:35
Thanks Brad, No SS Cragars for this Allison, I wanted to keep it as close to original as possible !!! Rick doesnt like the eagle hood ornament, that to is original to some Shriner Allisons, they loved dressing them up and it goes with the two eagles on the rear bumper HA, HA. I called a friends dad that is a shriner he is supposed to let me borrow some pictures to copy of the old shriner dune buggy motor division here in Rock Hill, he also gave me a number to I think the last remaining Shriner here that was in the motor division and owned one of the Allison shriner buggys here in the early 70s. Hopefully it will all work out and I will be able to share some more dune buggy pictures from the past.      Ken.............
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2010-07-30 11:14
Very nice looking buggy!  The body looks like it was done in silver metalflake gelcoat, but is the red/maroon color in the gelcoat, or a candy color applied afterwards?  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-30 12:05
Thanks Tom, I was hopeing it woud be the original gel coat but I guess for the buggy being 38 years old my hopes were to high, it has has been painted with silver base and flakes with the maroon candy stripes on top of that and then all cleared, I looked at another that was for sale in the same area with the original gel coat but even as thick as the Allison bodys are it had some spider cracks and the rear had been burnt from a engine fire, Jeff the PO of this one took me to the Shrine club to look at their other buggys, they had one just like this one but the Shriner paid 7500 to have it painted, it really didnt look much better than mine but did have more flakes, the maroon on this one and the one at the shrine club is a little darker maroon than the one I looked at that was original , I dont know if that was because the maroon was faded over the years on the original gel coat or not but that would be my best guess.               Ken.................
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2010-07-30 12:34
Thanks!  That explains why it looks so great.  It would take a miracle for the original gel coat to survive that nice for so long.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-07-31 12:23
Ken, she is BEAUTIFUL. I'm sure your dad is looking down with a big smile on his face that you got that Allison you always wanted. Before you did the side-by-side photos of the tires, I thought the once that came with it were just fine, but now seeing the wheels/tires on there now, I see what you mean. Much better now. She's looking good!

Jay
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-08-08 00:25
Thanks Jay, I put her in the vw show here local today, Im really happy, she got first place !!!!! This one is for you DAD !!!!              Ken.....................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-03-18 21:32
I had a PM asking me questions about my Shriner Allison, I am the 4 th owner, I have the original recipt from when it was purchased new, along with a stack of recipts for up keep over the years and the brand new 1641 engine that was installed right before I bought the Allison Daytona, here is what is on the original recipt of purchase.

The original owners name is on the recipt from Allisons fiberglass mfg, Gene Mcdaniels, he bought the buggy on 6/27/73, 2595.00 + am fm radio 25.00, dual brake handle 35.00, rollbar 40.00, 2 way johnson radio 140.00, roll bar cut w/loop bar on rear 40.00, towbar 20.00, for a grand total of 2895.00 ( I wish I could buy them for that !!!!) I paid 6500 and changed out the wheels and tires Paid 500 dollors for the new T/A Radials and I had the wheels from my first Allison. The buggy was then sold to Max Pass Sr. and from Max to Jeff Strauser and then to me, I am the 4th owner and the only one to own it that wasnt a Shriner.
By Bill S 2509 Date 2011-03-23 21:29
We can fix that not a shriner part if you would like.
By Jamie Appling Date 2011-04-14 21:11
Ken,

I am the one who ask you about your Allison. I think it is beautiful. I had a chance to buy that buggy off of Max Pass before he sold it to Jeff. I wish I would have had the money to buy it. You have done a GREAT job and  I know you will enjoy it. I know Max is Looking down at it thinking it is beautiful. I hope you keep it a long time. If you ever decide to sell it please look me up. I will make you an offer for it in a minute.

Jamie
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2011-04-16 04:31
Thanks Jamie, I plan on keeping her but if I ever decide different I will give you first shot.          Ken..............
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Kens Allison Shriner buggy (6686 hits)