the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / new to board, new to buggies (11612 hits)
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-07-24 05:31
Hello, Just a quick post right now, Will try for a pic later. I think I have one of the early jeffries mantaray kyote 1, like I said I will try for picture real soon. Definate Project! Look forward to your help and comments. Thank you for your time and patience.
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-07-27 19:41
Anybody else on here from the West? I am In Idaho and would love to get in touch with someone close by for local support :>)    Thank you all for your time.    PS Ken, i think there is a dune buggy similar to your new one out here for sale, Haven't looked at it close cause he wants $6500 for it I think. Poor folk got to try to rebuild the one I got.
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-27 23:21 Edited 2010-07-27 23:24
It would be cool to know how many buggys Ken Allison built in those years, I am not rich either , I make a decent living and after raising two daughters from 6 and 9 on my own it is time for daddy to play some LOL, I had a heart attack at 48 years old, have no insurance and my cars are my only retirement, I dont think that will get me to far either LOL, I am happy with everything I have and am thankful for family, and friends !!! The one I bought he wanted 7500 for and I paid 6500 but bought and sold a few buggys which helped with my purchase. After 26 hours of driving I dont care to travel to far for a buggy for a while and have to concentrate on my shop now since I got buzy again, I call paint and body work FEAST OR FAMINE, seems like you are either covered up or twiddling your thumbs. Good luck on your build Lloyd !!!
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-07-29 01:30 Edited 2010-07-29 04:19
Well I think I can now get some pictures of the buggy on. Didn't find any business card on under side of dash :>(.
See what you folks think. and will try to post in X-files also.
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-29 02:09
Cool buggy Lloyd, if you open your picture and downsize it to about 30 % it want be so big on the post, open the picture with paint then select ( stretch/ skew ) at the top and change from 100 to 30 and then save the change when you x out of it, just trying to help.       Ken...............
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-07-29 02:34
Thanks for the tip Ken,  Is this better?

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-29 03:08
Yep thats better, If you delete the first larger piture you may not have to scroll across to read your post also, good work Lloyd and great looking buggy
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-07-30 02:57
Found a site that seems to show my buggy. http://thingamabug.sitesled.com/albums/literature/album/index.html
They are listed under Dean Jefferies, The picture that looks like mine is number 2, Didn't find card under dash, but lot of holes, could have been under any one of them.  Also Talking to a fellow who is real positive my buggy is a jefferies buggy. He told me he would take some pictures of my buggy to Dean when he went to see him. Will be very interested to hear what he has to say.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-30 14:04
That was my first though, a Dean Jefferies buggy, very cool. Good luck with the build.

brad
By D.J.K-II Date 2010-07-31 06:09
Dean Jeffries' KYOTE I...

The "business card" might still be on the back-side of the dash (but painted over). Try looking behind the dash as someone else shines a bright light at the dash. You might just find it hidden beneath the paint.

Have fun...
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-07-31 15:38
going to strip the green paint and silver primer coat, that should take it down t the original blue metalic gel coat. Have had someone suggest bead blasting the body, not sure, thought that would probably eat into the fiberglass. The other suggestion is to try marine grade stripper on a small spot and rinse real good. Might try that on the engine scoop. If none of those or other suggestions from all of you work will go to the sand it down method I'm so thrilled with, Just love fiber glass dust. Thank you all for your help.
Lloyd
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-31 17:04
You know, if stripping that body is too much work for you, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands. :-) The Kyote and the Bounty Hunter were my favorite buggies. Let us know how the stripping goes, I have a body that need stripping, somewhere under 4 or 5 layers of paint is yellow gelcoat.

brad
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-08-01 00:07
Yep, will do on the stripping, I will try several methods and let you know which works best for me!   Might be a long way to ship the body, just how far are you from Boise Idaho?  I have found that at this stage of my life Money does talk! Mostly to say goodbye! I jsut really need to finish One of my many projects. Got tied up today helping my son move some cars, and now it is time to cook supper for my working Wife!
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-08-08 20:55
I took a tape measure to my pan and found it to be 86inches from center front axle to center rear axle. Does this sound like the proper measurement?  by the vin on tunnel it is a 65 pan and came with 1200A motor, Not very powerful. should have it running in about a week.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-08-09 02:48
The measurement sounds about right. The 40hp 1200 was a pretty poor performer, that's what mine originally came with, it's almost doubled in size and more than tripled in HP. Good little engine for cruising though, especially in a light vehcle.

Boise huh, as a matter of fact, I'll be rolling down I-15 in September on my way to Wendover !!!!! I don't think I'd be allowed home if I came back with 2 buggies. How far are you from Butte MT. I think we're about 13 hours from there. Hoping to make it there for our first stop on the way.

brad
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-08-09 11:11
From Butte to Nampa is around 502 miles. from Wendover to Nampa Is about 322 miles. You picking up a buggy in Wendover? Saw an ad for a (manx) in craigs list near here, no pics. http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1888107699.html
Then I think this guy still has his:http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1879239992.html
I'm poor boy so am cheap.
Have a Great Trip and Be Safe!
Lloyd
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-08-09 14:12
Hi Lloyd, No I'm taking my buggy to the Salt Flats to race it in the 130 mph challenge for street cars. We''re staying in Wendover Nevada for the event. If you've go some free time, the event is from Sept 15 - 18. There will be quite a few aircooled VWs at the event racing in the 36hp Challenge. I think we're expecting about 15 or more VWs

brad
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2010-11-15 04:10
Some sad news for me:
On Sun Nov 14 20:19 , kerry dean sent:
Hi. Lloyd -
I saw Dean last week and showed him the pictures of your rig. The body you have is not one that he built. The license plate mount on the lower front panel and the raised surface of the dash are features that were never part of his design.
Hope this doesn't dash your plans to build a cool ride. Original or not, it's still a very cool design and you can make your self a rockin' sports car with it.
Good luck. Send pictures of it along the way.
kerry
EVEN tho it seems as if my buggy is NOT a dean jefferies, I still think it might have been made from a molding done on one of his bodys.  I will still build it, and am going to go back to as original as I can with the parts I have. Perhaps someone will be able to find/tell who made this body. On the hunt for maker!
Lloyd
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / new to board, new to buggies (11612 hits)