the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Tow'd Restoration (9836 hits)
By ManxRob Date 2010-07-12 21:50
I'm restoring a 1968 Tow'd 'Towdster'. It looks to be one of the 'Deluxe' kits, with factory jig welded frame, front and rear hoods, fenders, front skid  plate, cable turning brake, tow bar, and a few Meyers options including chrome Appliance wheels with Gates Commando tires (front only), snap in seat cushions (missing), top and side curtains, (both  missing), chrome bumper, chrome Deitz headlights etc. The original build appears to be very well done. Other than some rusty fasteners it came apart quite nicely.

My Photobucket picture library is here:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/manxrob/Meyers%20Towd/

I think this was the original kit:

My plan is to return it to original late 60's status. The only upgrades will be converting to IRS, dual master cylinder, and shoulder type seat belts.

I'm looking for a Tow'd gas cap:

Are these brackets for the rear bumper attachment?

Any help tracking down missing items, instructions or other documentation would be greatly appreciated!
By Bruce E 2146 Date 2010-07-12 22:18
Yea ..... another Tow'd..... some good links on my build thread....is your tank in good shape or rusty on the inside ?
Bruce
By ManxRob Date 2010-07-12 23:33 Edited 2010-07-12 23:36
Bruce, much to my surprise gas tank is clean inside. The Tow'd was stored inside for most of its life. Iv'e never seen a thread pattern like that for a gas cap though. Does your Tow'd tank have this style filler neck and cap?
By Bruce E 2146 Date 2010-07-13 11:31
No my tank just has a regular vw neck,I am guessing but I think someone added pipe threads to your tank so a screw on cap or pipe cap could be used.The aluminum tank I am waiting on uses the aluminum billet screw on cap.
Also mine doesent have that bracket,but I think you are correct about what it is for as mine doesnt have mounts for the bumper that I have found.
Bruce
By Bruce E 2146 Date 2010-07-13 15:49
Is this the one you needed to put the tube for the steering wheel on? did you get one made yet if it is?

Bruce
By ManxRob Date 2010-07-13 19:04
I bought another 'parts' Tow'd. Buggies seem to attract, I'm thinking Tow'ds do too! So I'm combining it what I had.  I'm going to use the frame from the new one.

I think my old frame would best serve as a start to a full cage conversion.

Rob
By Bruce E 2146 Date 2010-07-13 22:08
Awesome....anyway you could get me the measurments for those bumper brackets.Got me a new tubing and bar bender (yes 2 different benders) and am itching to try them out.....guess the build will be on hold for a few as we ordered the new building to add onto my smithy so my wife can have her carport back,lol,maybe they will get it up before the new tank gets here so I dont lose much time.
Bruce
By ManxRob Date 2010-07-14 04:19
The rear bumper brackets  on my Tow'd were made from 3/16 X 1 stock. They are 5 inches long. They were just square cut, I rounded the sharp corners with a grinder to keep me from leaking on the shop floor.

By Bruce E 2146 Date 2010-07-14 13:56
Thanks,Now to find out what size the bumper tubing is supposed o be and I can find some then get started...

Bruce
By ManxRob Date 2010-07-14 14:42
Bruce, I'm missing the rear bumper for my project Tow'd. I also got some information on the rear bumper on another Forum, here is the link:
http://rbcdunebuggy.yuku.com/topic/3208

I do have the front bumper though. It is 2 inch OD.
By Bruce E 2146 Date 2010-07-14 19:27
Cool,But now I need a pattern and measurements on that front bumper,lol,I do not have either front or rear and really didnt want to settle for a regular buggy set of bumpers.Since I just painted the frame I can weld on brackets and repaint with no problem..

Cant wait to get to go out riding in my Tow'd one of these days...still need to order a top and seats..

Bruce
By ramir m 2456 Date 2010-11-06 06:30 Edited 2010-12-07 18:21
[QUOTE]I'm restoring a 1968 Tow'd 'Towdster'. It looks to be one of the 'Deluxe' kits, with factory jig welded frame, front and rear hoods, fenders, front skid  plate, cable turning brake, tow bar, and a few Meyers options including chrome Appliance wheels with Gates Commando tires (front only), snap inseat cuishins (missing), top and side curtains, (both  missing), chrome bumper, chrome Deitz headlights etc. The original build appears to be very well done. Other than some rusty fasteners it came apart quite nicely.[/QUOTE]

wow, you have a very nice project. this is good. hope you'll gonna finish this project soon.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Tow'd Restoration (9836 hits)