the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Dunbars, MiniVolks, Hawk and Model D (3171 hits)
By Bob E 1463 Date 2010-04-28 00:50 Edited 2010-10-20 00:32
I did not see a category for the little cars from Dunbars in Milford and Framingham, MA, so I thought that I'd add it.  If you have one, post some pic's.  There were more options and you could interchange some parts, but I can lump them into three basic categories.

1 - MiniVolks (same as the Ranger out of Hudson, MA) a small fendered Manx clone, smooth hood, long engine coverage, a little shorter at 78 or 79 in w//b.

2 - Hawk I & II (Ken the Hawk Harrelson) sort of a generation II buggy, a wider fendered version (+2in.) of the MiniVolks for big tires and usually seen with 2 hood louvers molded into the hood.  It made a stronger hood and looked good too (louvers copied from a 66 Chevelle).

3 - Model D, At the time, what we called the old peoples or parents version buggy.  Had easy access, low door openings.  The aluminum windshield frame and fake radiator grill are unique to this car, good luck finding spares.

Dunbars provided many locally sourced and fabricated options, bumper's, skid plates, tops, etc.  Many were built in house with great fabrication skills.  Bodies came from Fran's Fiberglass and Ranger Buggies.

I can add photos, but prefer to see yours. 

Below, Mark G's Dunbars Hybrid, the early MiniVolks body with the later Hawk hood.  Old school chassis bracing and popular square corner windshiled, but modified to fold down, a great looking buggy.

2nd photo shows shows one of the uglier options, the engine cover or Bustle, or Diaper as we'd call it.  Molded to fit over the stock VW muffler, ugh, but rare and sort of cool today to find.

I can add photos, but prefer to see yours.

Boston Bob E.
www.bimelliott.com - www.deserterownergroup.org - www.the-bug-club.com
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Dunbars, MiniVolks, Hawk and Model D (3171 hits)