the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / Kellison Jim's new project, maybe! (9459 hits)
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-27 01:31 Edited 2010-04-27 01:35
Evening Gents!
I was showing my Super T to a neighbor a block over and he told me about a buggy he was wanting to get rid of. By his description it is solid, but a year ago he went to replace the tank, but instead of removing the hood and/or body, he thought it would be easier to cut a hole in the hood and replace it. Only problem was that the hole he cut out wasn't large enough so he reamed it out some more. He did save the section of hood he cut out, so my question to you all is........... How much trouble would it be to patch the cutout section back into the hood?? I haven't had a chance to reasearch it, but any idea what it is??

Kellison Jim
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-04-27 02:40
a mechanic's special? Is this a trick question?

Jay
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-27 02:48 Edited 2010-04-27 02:58
A trick question? I know I've learned a lot from you guys during my Super T re-build, but when it comes to fiberglass.. in the words of Sgt Schultz. "I know nothing." At first (I haven't seen it in person) I thought it might be a Manx, but upon seeing the dash and two small ridges on the hood, I'll settle for a clone.
Kellison Jim
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-04-27 10:10
Jim, I thought you may already know but be making some sort of game out of the missing piece of hood, LOL.
That's why I was being smart by saying "mechanic special".

I wasn't sure what it was without that portion of the hood missing. I knew it wasn't a Manx based on the dash, but that doesn't make it worthless! (I have an X-file clone myself). I can't see the two small ridges on the hood, but a picture of the missing portion of the hod would help.

This would make a cool project. The fact that there is part of the hood missing means the sky is the limit. You could pop a mold off one of the newer Pontiacs and get away with a super cool unique hood scoop and no one can accuse you of hacking up a perfectly good hood. You could mold in one of the JC Whitney scoops or whatever you want. (I seem to recall someone out there manufactures hood scoops for golf carts that I was thinking would be perfect size for buggies, but don't quote me on that. You could make it completely flat or go crazy with your own design.

Love the Hogan's Heroes reference. I can hear Schultz now! :-)

Jay
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-27 12:31
Jim, I can give you advice on the best way to replace thet piece of the hood he cut out but you are going to need to take the hood off the body LOL, man thats 1 step forward and 10 steps back, now I dont feel as bad about all the gremlins I had with the blue Allison !!!            Ken........................
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2010-04-27 12:46 Edited 2010-04-27 14:46
Manx clone so I bet a manx style hood will fit. Lots of places popping off hoods. Shouldn't be a problem getting a new one.

If he has the old piece its a real easy repair.

EDIT: I just read he has the old piece......real easy repair then. And cost? Real cheap.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-04-27 14:22
Simply back the cut out part with some wood  and lay in some mat to bond it ack together. Lay in glass from both sides. One thing to consider is that you might want to leave it for a while till the glass has a good cure before you paint it. My boss sectioned a topper to fit on the box of his 60 Ford truck and it looked good for about 5 months and then all the glass shrank and you can see where it was sectioned and filled. But the physical rejoining of the parts is easy. I hear there's some back woods body guy in S.C who does good glass work for next to nothing :-)

Looks like a fun project and the price is right. If worse comes to worse a new hood could be made to fit, or maybe a big pro-stock hood scoop? ;-)

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-27 15:51 Edited 2010-04-27 15:54
OMG Brad " A PRO STOCK HOOD SCOOP " vw beetles have the motor in the rear remember ? Its a little to early for scotch and canadian beer LOL, " WOOD " is for boats, dont forget he has a depicit to make up where he has no glass at all. I was thinking fiberglassing panels under bottom of hood around the edge with enough to make up what is missing and still have at least a inch or inch and a half  flange for the section he has to be glassed to that , then ginding and filling with mat, then grind and finish off with a few layers of cloth, he is going to need to keep it thin as possible under the hood to clear the gas tanks, either that or he can allways grind some of that flange away on bottom after the top is glassed all in, Hey Jim I hear there is some Canadian guy that might not miss his hood if you catch him at the right time, like maby HAPPY HOUR. ( OK THAT WAS FREE ).                   Ken.........................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-04-27 16:28
Sorry should have made myself clear, I was only suggesting to use the wood to hold it in place to get the first side of mat on, not leave it in. And no, there will never be a time my hood's for sale and as for someone taking it....don't let me catch you. This property protected by a Browning 12 and it's not loaded with rock salt!

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-27 17:38
YEA I HAVE THIS OLD CIVIL WAR CANNON, AND ITS NOT LOADED WITH ROCK SALT EITHER, what was so civil about that war anyway ? Dont take offence Brad I was just jerking your chain a little , what are buddys for anyway ? I know you know what you are talking about and not on the bottle NOS MABY, I guess sometimes a joker can come off like a pain in the A$$ but I assure you its all in fun and there is not enough of that in the world anymore, so back to tech talk guys, and stay the HECK away from Brads hood Jim.                   Ken.........................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-04-27 18:54
I never take anything you say serious Ken LOL ;-) In fact, I don't take too much outside of my professional life seriously, lifes too short to not smile. Always up for some smack talk, makes life more interesting. Guess we should stop hijacking threads eh!

The hood should be an easy fix, The last buggy I built to sell was broken in half from oversized tires hitting the rear fenders and it was missing big chunks of glass, this would be a breeze compred to what I had to fabricate.
Go for it Jim, at the worst, you source a new hood. Maybe from one that's broken in half from oversized tires. LOL

brad
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-28 01:44
Hey Ken! I saw this on eBay for a mere $525,000.00. I'll come down to SC and pick you up and we'll both go to the Great White North and take what ever we want from Brad. Brad be patient, it might take us a few month to get there at the speed this thing travels.

I talked to the guy with the buggy tonight and tried to get a price out of him, he said he would think about and let me know in a week. He said it would be a fair price and wanted to know what I would give him for it. I had no clue and didn't want to insult him so I'll wait to see what he wants. Thanks for the advice guys! I won't let the hood or lack of one deter me from buying it.

Here's the info on the Tank
http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Garner-M4A3-Sherman-Tank-Film-TANK-/320523042464?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0a97ea0

Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-28 02:26
I will throw in on the gas, ROTFLMAO thats a good one Jim, I cant wait to see what kind of come back Brad has for that one, Does it come with artillary shells and a flame thrower ? I will run to the store and get the hot dogs, buns, graham crackers, hersey bars, and marshmellows, wonder if Brad likes SPORES. It will be funny when they see a yankee and a red neck riding together in that thing, you buy it Jim and I will paint flames on it and install a pro stock hood scoop, somebody better get out the white flag ( Brad ) LOL. Thats just to funny Im glad I hijacked your site Jim. Good Luck on getting the buggy.           Ken.......................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-04-28 16:28 Edited 2010-04-28 16:31
BRING IT ON :-) You can grab what you can't catch.......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You guys'll be so sick from eating nitrite filled weiners , wonder bread buns  and sugar you won't know what went  past you. ;-) Got  a big fire pit, 2 chords of wood and a hankerin' for SMORES. ANYTIME Don't forget to fill the ordinace racks with Scotch and Rockstar. When you get here I'll fill 'em full of GOOD beer

That thing would be awesome for moose hunting!!!!!!

brad

Good luck on the buggy, go cheap!!!!!
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-05-15 02:32
Well, I bought it! I hope I didn't over pay for it , but it does have solid floor pans and it does run. We will be driving up to Springfield to pick it up next weekend, so I guess that means the Super T will go up for sale within the year.
Kellison Jim
By Dan C 2177 Date 2010-05-16 11:10 Edited 2010-05-16 11:23
O.K. Ken easy on the Canucks.......I sense that you must have tangled with our beer before.....lol      It`s good eh??       Jim....Don`t sell your T....You love it..You`ll miss it ...It`s an awesome looking bug buddy....(Please excuse me ,I am partial to T`s)
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-05-16 14:59
Dan, I love it too! But unlike Ken, I don't have the funds, the space, nor a wife that will allow me to have 179 Dune Buggys all at one time. Ken also had one like ours and he'll be the first to admit that there is not a whole lot of leg room in the Super T's. Hopefully they did not relocate the pedal assembly as is suggested in the build manual. That alone takes close to 10 inches of leg room away. If I would have known that I would have relocated the pedals back to their original location and everthing would have been OK. Thanks for the comments, I think it turned out pretty nice as well.

Now to last nights OMG!!!! I'll post this part on my build page...
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2058;pg=3
Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-16 22:57
ROTFLMAO, ok lets get it staight, # 1. I promise a one man body shop doesnt have a lot of FUNDS, but if you take off the D and the S i do try and have a lot of that !!! # 2. NO WIFE !!!!! but I do have a good girl friend that puts up with a whole lot of crap from me, my favorite saying to her is " YOU DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO " Try that one married guys LOL, # 3. I only have 3 complete running buggys 2 that needs restored and 1 spatz body, so that is only 5 and 1/2, but I did just get back from bike week at myrtle beach, good thing I trailered the bike cause I went to Wilmington NC and bought a 71 vw camper and drove it home with me, Kathy drove home the truck and trailer with the bike, I thought she was going to run me over going up the hills. And dont be mad but the best thing for those 2 seater Ts is to cut 2 half circles out of the bottom of the dash left and right of the steering wheel for your legs, of just wait till we are about 90 years old  and we may have shrunk enough to fit by then, OK NO HATE MAIL I LIKE THE Ts , YOU GET THE HOT ROD AND BUGGY ALL IN ONE.            Ken.................
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / Kellison Jim's new project, maybe! (9459 hits)