the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Fuel Pump Recommendations? (9010 hits)
By @Jeff GS Date 2010-02-05 20:08
OK, in the planning stages for fuel system - up front under the tank.
What is the recommended fuel pump to use for a turbo 2.0L - making up to (maybe? oneday?) 300hp?  More likely hoping for a solid 250 with stock WRX turbo and original injectors.

I've tried to research this, but getting all kinds of different pumps people like - ranging from older Rabbit Bosch CIS pumps, to newer Walbro, Ford Econoline to Porsche turbo!  I'd like a reasonably priced pump (say $100-150?) that's reliable, relatively quiet and can be adapted to using AN fittings (at leas on the outlet side) to feed into my AN6 plumbing.  The Pierburg from Outfront looks perfect - but a little higher than I want to spend $$$-wise.

Any other recommendations?

Jeff
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-02-06 02:02
Jeff, I'm running the Walbro inline pump and I can tell you... It sounds like I'm running a Pete Jackson gear drive in a 350 chevy. The whine is very loud! I actually like it a little, and people have asked me What's that whining noise?

If you are looking for quiet, you may want to see if there is something that will go into the tank, or maybe stay away from Walbro. I really don't have any experience with any of the other pumps you mentioned.

Just figured I would give you the info I have based on my experience.

Jay
By @Jeff GS Date 2010-02-06 13:17
Thanks Jay.  I was doing some more research last night and it would seem the Walbro would meet most or all of my criteria?  It has the right fittings (available), flow rates, price - but the noise may be a factor?  Reading on APE's site: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/
They acknowledge that some Walbro pumps are noisier than others, without any known reason why.  I read elsewhere about poor warranty claims service from Walbro - but the concensus seemed to be the pumps were inexpensive enough (and most having good long reliable service on daily driven vehicles) - it was worthwhile just buying another one.

Seems a major factor affecting noise is the way they're mounted?  This seems to be common among most all electric pumps, EFI or carb versions.  I plan to do lots of mounting isolation with the given space I have regardless of pump used.  Have any pics of how yours is mounted Jay?  I can always use good ideas!

Jeff
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-02-06 17:00
Hey Jeff,
I'm out probably all day today, but I'll see if I can't snap a picture and post it at some point today.

I /mounted it to the flat sheet metal that spans from the frame head to the floor pans if that gives you an idea. Also mounted it with two special rubber wrapped stainless band clamps that have tabs for mounting

Jay
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2010-02-07 02:12
Hi Jeff - Jay's experience is accurate.  I've put a couple more Walbro's in buggies and they are loud. Of course, when Jay had the open header (just a turbo), it was probably louder than the fuel pump!  The Walbro has a great selection of fittings - call the mfg to get the right "kit". A lot of retailers only carry what they use for their applications. I think the pump has a 10mm female fitting on the pressure side that then receives an adapter.

On others that have just a cat, you can definitely hear the pump.  The mounts that come with it are just rubber coated stainless hangers.  One I had already on Deb's "bluggy" came with a thick foam cover (non-Walbro) and that absorbs a lot of noise.

The one on my buggy is from Bosch, has a high flow and pressure, is very quiet, and was expensive...

One other option I have found is a cheap one Summit SUM-G3138 which is reportedly good to 500 hp.  This is the cheapest EFI pump I've found.  I have no idea how loud it is.  I always look for 5/16 hose barb fittings so this might not be good for an AN set up.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By @Jeff GS Date 2010-02-08 13:58
Hey Paul,

That Summit pump looks a lot like the Ford "Econoline" pump listed in the Megamanual, Delco #EP286.  I located this pump at Rock Auto for about $90 and it flows enough for over 400hp @ 36-40GPH.  As and OEM pump it should also (hopefully) be a bit quieter?
But - it has the externally threaded fittings similar to the Summit pump, so not sure how to adapt to these.  I'd prefer an off the shelf adapter fitting but could have a custom welded up fitting done?

The fitting options is where the Walbro shines.

Anyone know what the Pierburg pump Outfront sells comes from?  I can't find too much info on these pumps.

Jeff
By Steve P 1712 Date 2010-02-10 22:15 Edited 2010-02-10 22:19
Hi Paul

Find a Mercedes at the wrecking yard, most all use a Bosch inline pump.  Grab the whole set up, pump, filter and regulator.  It is all mounted with rubber mounts,less noise.  Replace old filter and you have a good set-up.  Some have two pumps for more stable pressure. 

Steve

Meyers Manx, 62 pan,2.5L SOHC

Seaside, CA

By Charles W 2165 Date 2010-05-06 18:40 Edited 2010-05-06 18:43
Horsepower is directly proportional to lbs of fuel required. When I started on the buggy with a wrx motor I replaced the in tunnel line with a 3/8 supply and a 5/16 return like is whats on my 350hp ramjet in my blazer. I woultry to use a intank fuel pump if noise is a concern. I don't see how sound will be a big deal on a open car though while it is moving. My son has the walbro in the sti and you can here it in the tank when you turn the key on but that is normal. Also there is the back seat that helps. Once on a redo of the motor and also adding aquamist he had the seat out and at first was concerned about some new noises until he realized it was the walbro. Lots of wrx's make 300 hp on the stock pump but most usually go to the walbro cause everyone else does. You can do the math on what hp or injector max flow is and go from there.

Also on another thread you asked about a suby motor noise. It's quiet if it has rubber mounts or until it gets forged pistons and the valve bucket lash is within spec. Of course the turbo intake noise and the blowoff is there on each shift at higher rpm.
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Fuel Pump Recommendations? (9010 hits)