the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Deserter Project (19997 hits)
By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-01-07 00:35
thanks to everyone who helped me find out what kind of buggy i have. heres a couple of pictures of the way i found it in the barn.
By Bob E 1463 Date 2010-01-07 18:02
pictures, Deserter, , where are they?
Boston Bob E.
www.bimelliott.com - www.deserterownergroup.org - www.the-bug-club.com
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2010-01-07 18:05
See:

"any one know what kind of buggy this is"

In the x-files section.
By Jeff GS Date 2010-01-07 21:06
Ooohh - Cool, another S1 find!  These things keep popping out of the woodwork!  Might have to get Bob to revise the estimate of how many were built!  (or at least still around!)

Yellow on an S1 looks pretty good, IMO:

Jeff
By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-01-09 19:40
sorry they are so big i dont know how to toggle the size i tried to photo shop..but nothing i did made a difference
By Joe M 1979 Date 2010-01-09 19:44
looks cool you started off with not much for what you have now
By Nuttybar Date 2010-01-09 21:56
Everyone has paint the simple way to resize is open the image in paint. 
Go to "IMAGE" then STRETCH AND SKEW" it will pull up a box there are
2 options under stretch "horizontal" and "vertical" they will be at 100%
change it to 25% for most applications, be sure to change them both
or your buggy may end up looking like a stretch limo!

Hey cool there is a new idea!!!
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-01-10 14:03
Yea I learned that here on DBA, it works great I usually have to go to 50% sometimes even 30% if the size you pick is wrong its simple you just press no for changes made, then go back to the picture and start over with a different percentage when you get it right just hit yes on the changes save button. Good advice nuttybar      Ken......
By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-01-11 04:56
lets see if this is better

By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-01-11 05:09
again thanks for the guidance. the pictures look better smaller. i will be posting more as soon as the weather breaks and i can get some work in on this . cleaned and rebuilt the carb last week. next is to either get the engine running or pull it out and rebuild it. it hasnt been started in 15 years. then body off the frame so i can get the pan some help. i like the diamond plated pan i saw in the build advice forum http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=1514. i really think that is the way i'm leaning.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2010-01-11 13:48
Dan,

Diamond plate was solid as a rock...and relatively easy to do. I will be doing the same on the Deserter. Plus it makes for such a nice flat floor which helps with headroom, seat selection & leg room.

Jeff
By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-01-17 00:36
couple of more pictures of the state of the buggy. just rebuilt the carb. i cleaned the mudwasps out of it. got a rebuild kit from the local auto zone.  im having trouble seating the volume control  needle. ive tried to seat it three times,using the same number of turns i took when i took it out and the o ring shreds every time im not sure if the o ring that came in the kit is too big or if the needle was adjusted wrong from the get go as the engine hasnt been turned over in 15 years. any i deas on how to get it seated without shredding the ring (or is it supposed to shred?) or should i ace the 34 pict 3 which i have read is a real B to tune right. but i am rambling here are two more pics of the interior

By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-01-17 04:18
have to get rid of the sexy electrical tape covering the roll bar . as much as i think its kick ass i have to let it go and possibly wire wheel and paint it or have it chromed. long ways off that first, engine out of buggy and  then
body off of frame
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-01-18 13:57
Hey Dan, Good looking project. Love the vintage Autohaus sticker on the dash. Good luck with the electrical tape. I'd just run a razor blade down the hoop and cut it off rather than unwind it. If it wasn't painted underneath it will probably be rusty, I suggest sandblast and powder coat. If you're going to go chrome, buy a new one or have a new hoop built out of clean metal.

brad
By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-02-16 22:39
Punxsutawney Phil stuck his head out his hidey hole and said six more weeks till you can work on the buggy!

By Dan C 1936 Date 2010-12-14 15:30
so it has been a while and life got in the way as usual, but i finally started to work on the buggy this week. i got the engine out and stripped down. cleaning the hell out of it with degreaser. trying to assess the condition of it, i found three of the pushrod tubes on the left side of the engine are cracked and someone smeared them with some kind of gasket sealer stuff to stop them from leaking. this could be a potential problem? also the left bottom engine stud was not attatched to the engine case itself and was just loose. the only reason it was still there and is still there is because it has three nuts on the end and cant make it past the transaxle housing. but i digress. stripping the engine i found mice had made a great nest just under the cylinder tins. also they have made a condo out of the tranny tunnel.  over the summer we had a party and the most use this buggy has got in years was being a cooler holder

By Dan C 1936 Date 2011-02-05 19:04
after removing the tins i found where the mice have been hiding. this one of the bedrooms in the mouse condo. found their livingroom and pantry in the fanshroud. and the trash compactor in the exhaust port of the left header. the exhaust was filled with nutshells and bits oh trash.

By Dan C 1936 Date 2011-02-05 19:09
this is the mouse master bedrooom nuzzled nicely between the #1 and 2 cylinders

By Dan C 1936 Date 2011-02-05 19:11
after a little disassembly and cleaning. got a lot more cleaning to do.

By Dan C 1936 Date 2011-02-06 05:44
i think i'm leaning towards  rat rodding this out. i like the satin black paint . chrome and pinstripes... think i can take existing rimas and make it work
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-02-06 14:21
Dan, You did not just say you are going from MOUSE to RAT did you? :-)

Jay
By jim s 1837 Date 2011-02-06 18:09
Dan, Did you split the case when doing all your cleaning?
Jim
By Dan C 1936 Date 2011-05-28 04:07
sorry i took so long to get back. just started working on the buggy again. thought I'd be able to get the engine disassembled, cleaned and reassembled by now, but the winter got away from me and  here it is late march and i just got the case split. have to clean and power wash it now. in tearing it down i think i found a few unexpected issues. the #2 cylinder looks rusted and pitted. here are a few more pics.

By Brad H 1498 Date 2011-05-31 14:15
Check to see if you can catch you feel any ridges on the main bearing saddles and catch your fingernail on a ridge on the thrust bearing seat on the rear main web. If you can you should really get it line bored. I'd also throw the cylinders and heads on each side and make sure they will hold torque. If not now is the time to put inserts in the case. Take a lifter and slide it each lifter bore and see if you can wiggle it top to bottom (thrust axis of cam) to check for worn lifter bores. Stock cams usually don;t wear them out, but it's good to check.

Replace your exhaust valves with every rebuild.

Good luck withthe motor. have fun, take your time and remember, cleanliness is next to Godlyness when it comes to building a motor!!!!!!

brad
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Deserter Project (19997 hits)