the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / 2.2L with IDF's! (6042 hits)
By @Jeff GS Date 2009-12-29 15:37
Saw an interesting thread on the STF - IDF carbs adapted to a 2.2 Suby in a Bug swap.  Looks cool!  I've always thought fitting some IR throttle bodies to a Subaru engine would be a really hot looking set-up - and the way these custom manifolds were built - it looks entirely doable!
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=125689

Some youtube videos there to check out too.

Jeff
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2009-12-29 19:42
Before Kathleen decided to go "whole hog" on her Subaru conversion, I had suggested to her to use a normally asperated Subi engine with a small 4 barrel carb mid mounted off of the stock intake manifold.  Cut a hole in the top, weld a flange and block off the throttle body.  She doesn't think much of my ideas.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By @Jeff GS Date 2009-12-30 14:18
I think I have to side with Kathleen on this one Tom!  However, I have seen a pic (somewhere) of such a modified Subaru intake.  I don't recall if it was a carbed conversion, or alternate throttle body?  Done just like you're describing - cutting off the top of the intake and welding on a carb (or other?) adapter base.

Hmmm.... why not adapt one of the 4bbl (or 2bbl?) carb "look" throttle bodies and keep the EFI?  OTOH - that seems like the long way around to get to something that's likely a lot less efficient than the original EFI.

That said - I still think having a set or IR manifolds like those shown in the STF thread, with throttle plates on top and injector stacks, keeping the original fuel injectors and fueling system - and Megasquirt the whole thing - now that would be a hot set-up IMO.  Add in a set of P&P heads on a 2.5, some hot cams and headers....   :-)

Just the sound of those ITB intakes wailing at 6-7K rpm would be worth the admission hassle!  Having just re-watched the Steve McQueen movie Lemans yesterday - I got my annual infusion of that sound - glorious!

Jeff
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-01-26 14:17
I ws going to do a subi swap on my car before I woke up HAHA and started to build manifold to fit a pair of 40mm Kadrons, still have all the pieces including the welded up thermostat housing. Webers would look cool on a subi

brad
By @Jeff GS Date 2010-01-26 21:18
They sure do Brad!
If I do another Suby swap, good chance it will be running a custom IR set-up.  Turbos are cool, but the plumbing complexity is really tough to do all custom!

Jeff
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / 2.2L with IDF's! (6042 hits)