the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Crank pulley locking tool (5220 hits)
By Sandsurfer Date 2009-12-08 02:31
I'm getting ready to reseal my oil pump and I would like to make a crank pulley locking tool so I can get the proper torque on the bolt.
Can anyone give me the center line distance between the holes in the pulley and the diameter of the holes?
The Subi tool looks like this:

Jerry....
By @Jeff GS Date 2009-12-09 00:32
Hey Jerry,

I've made a couple of different tools like this - to hold the crank pulley and cam drive pulleys.  I did not, however, identify the different bolt patterns as each of my tools has a couple different patterns!  I can get out tomorrow and take a quick caliper measurement on my engine and see which one fits it - I'll let you know.

FWIW, to make the tool I took some 1/4" thick aluminum plate and laid out a bolt circle and center hole location, then off to one side mounting holes for a handle.  I used bolts as the drive "pins" as shown in your pic.

Jeff
By Sandsurfer Date 2009-12-09 01:17
If it helps, the engine is a domestic EJ-25. I would take the measurements myself but the engine is in my daily driver Outback so it's impossible to get at. I have a JDM EJ-25 in the shop but it has a different crank pulley on it. 
Jerry....
By @Jeff GS Date 2009-12-09 22:10
Hmmm... I didn't know they used different pulleys on different EJ series engines.  I can imagine the harmonic balancer might be different/larger to account for the extra stroke?  Mine's an EJ20 turbo JDM model Legacy motor.

YMMV on this info then.  :-)

I measured the bolt circle at 77mm and test fitted the tool back into my crankshaft pulley.  Still fits great!
As you can see it's a simple aluminum plate with bolts & nuts inserted through equally spaced holes on the BC.  I use the bolt-on handle for a couple different heads I've made up for various purposes.  Hope this helps - but I'd definitely double check the BC on the pulley you want to hold!

Jeff
By @Jeff GS Date 2009-12-09 22:24
Oops, forgot to add: the bolt sizes I used were 5/16" (because I had them in my parts bins).  They do fit pretty snug in the holes, though I noted i had to grind the ends down (on the diameter) on a couple of them to fit.
I suspect it would be wise to make the bolt holes in the tool a little oversize (or even slotted) to allow for some fudge room, then snug everything down as you're fitting it up.  IIRC, the hub was a casting and the hole dimensions, being cast openings, were not that consistent hole to hole.  Opening them up to take a standard bolt/pin size might affect the balance, so that's probably not a good solution either - unless you plan to re-balance it.

Jeff
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Subbug - Subaru Power / Crank pulley locking tool (5220 hits)