the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Meyers Manx CV -VS- CC chassis (11131 hits)
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 01:59
I've noticed some subtle differences in the bodies and Con-Ferr frames that I'd like to detail.

Special thanks to Bart for sending me some pictures of a CV and one of a CC. This has provided me with hours of thought/reflection to help me pass the time while at work.

The CC chassis is notched in the corners of the floor pan to clear the front Corvair A arms.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 02:01
That's the reason for the square modification in the body at the floor which differs from your standard VW pan body.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 02:03
Also take note that the body of the red CC is flat across the floor with the exception of the square tunnel.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 02:05
The blue bodied CV also contains the Corvair A arm body modification, but I don't believe there is any reason for this.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 02:09
And the most interesting detail is the Napoleon hat is kept in the CV body, so on the CV bodies, the body doesn't stay flat on the floor until the tunnel, it slopes upward at the center as any VW body would, but with the addition of the body mod that would have been dictated by the Corvair front end clearance issue.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 02:12
Since the rear chassis did not differ between bodies, The bodies are identical at the rear.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-04 02:23
The chassis speaks for itself. The CV had provisions to mount the VW front end, while the CC was slightly shorter in the tunnel forward of the bulkhead and was notched to accept the welding in of the Corvair front sub frame assembly.

I am still researching if there is a difference in the VW pedal assy area of the tunnel. If anyone has any information about this please post it here! Since the Con-Ferr chassis shipped for the CC body (In the P.O.'s case) was shipped as a CV, there are three holes to mount the VW pedal assembly to the side of the tunnel.

Perhaps this came on both the CV and CC chassis. I suspect that it would have only been on the CV chassis, which means I would need to weld in a plate to get the chassis back to CC specs in my case.

Since this chassis was shipped as a CV and modified per Con-Ferr drawings, I know that the two A-frame notches in the corner of the floors are not on the CV chassis, and are unique to the CC chassis.

If anyone has anything more to ad, sees something I've missed, or can get me a picture of a CC pedal assy (I suspect it is an inverted Corvair swing assy mounted so they pivot at the floor instead of hung from above). please post it here.

Jay
By ameridan Date 2009-09-07 19:51
Jay H,

You may not realize it, but because Steve McQueen had a Manx customized (the "Queen Manx") by Con-Ferr for the movie "The Thomas Crown Affair", that is how the Manx-Vair came about.   Not having your email address, I invite you to join the "Thomas Crown" Dune Buggy Fan Club that I started.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122627113592

I may be learning a lot from your project involving that great find of yours!!!

Also, my Hunter Dune Buggy was an offshoot of the Queen Manx",, but it is VW-powered.

http://hunterdunebuggy.com/

Dan
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-08 01:10
Dan, Thanks for the invite.
I've joined, and will have some reading to do now. I know I've skimmed your site before, but I'll take the time to read it thoroughly.

Jay
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-11-22 19:57
I was contacted recently from Paul C 1922 here on the forums. He has what he believes to be a CV chassis but he has the CC body.

One thing came to mind as I emailed him back is that there should also be a difference in the steering bracketry, as the VW only needed to mount the steering box, would have only needed one bracket on the driver's side. The Corvair front steering incorporated an idler arm on the passenger side as well as the steering box on the driver's side.

I've asked Paul to take some pictures for me of the steering bracket(s?) as this may be a difference between chassis models as well.

Jay
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Meyers Manx CV -VS- CC chassis (11131 hits)