the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / Finding out mfr year on my Karma SR2 (19020 hits)
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-12 21:18
Greetings, all, from a new member.

I purchased a Karma Manx SR2 in June 2009 and would like to find out when my SR2 body was manufactured. Anyone have any recommendations? The serial number is 0175. It's on a '69 frame and powered by a '67 engine. I bought it from someone in NM, who bought it from someone in CA. You can see pix of it at http://www.oldbug.com/yellmanxsr.htm.

Thanks,

Karen
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-08-13 01:14
Impossible to say, Karen. The bodies were never marked with a manufacture date, just the serial number, but since Karma was only in biz a couple years, it could only be a '73 or '74. Looks like a nice car - have fun with it!
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-13 02:54
Thanks! Yep, it's been a blast. I saw a Manx SR2 for sale that stated it was a '76. Should have scraped together the money and bought it, y'know? It had the outside hinges (on top), although I think it still had the inside door latches. Looked nice, and someone along the line had modified it with electric door hinges. *envious sigh* I haven't figured out how to do that with my SR2 yet, since it has the hidden hinges. Still, it's in pretty decent shape. A few small chips here and there, and the doors could use a tweak or two to align them up really well. But it really draws attention. I'm going to join the local car club and start attending meetings. These guys are really big on cruizin' and attending shows together.

Here's a really cool pic of my little SR2 with one of the local celebrities.

Thanks again for the info.

Karen

Attachment: ManxSR2.jpg (165.6k)
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-08-13 04:51
sweet ride Karen, not sure about the camel, but makes a good picture, is it a california thing ?
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-13 05:10
Heheheheh. Actually, it's a WA thing. One of the locals obtained a camel awhile back, and he takes Izzy to events for photo shoots (for a price, of course). I've become quite fond of Izzy, and I think he likes me because I bring him carrots. The friends to whom I sent a similar picture just wanted to know when I'd got a camel. They weren't all that surprised to see me with one. Not quite sure what that says about me....?
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-08-13 10:37
That's a little weird seeing a 2 with the hidden hinges. I've set up linear actuators on my SR; it's not difficult, it just takes a little welding on the hinge plate to establish the mounting point. I just never liked the garage door spring setup - even Bruce Meyers admitted to me that was a weak point in the design.
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-13 18:01
That's why I think it's one of the first ones Karma manufactured, because their later design had the hinges on top  and the door latches outside. Both doors tend to wobble, so we have to be careful when closing them. I didn't get the door all the way up once, and luckily hadn't started climbing out of the car yet because the door slammed back down. Would have caught me dead on the shin, and I would have quickly run through my cussing vocabulary.

I don't know if there's a way to modify the door hinges or not. There's not one drop of mechanic or body work blood in me; I just drive the car. :-) I feel lucky that we found an air-cooled engine mechanic in our neck of the woods. We're pretty remote, but Rocky's been working on Bugs for 40-plus years and knows his biz. He's 30 miles away, but I'm originally from TX, so 30 miles is nuthin'.
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-08-13 20:40
:-) Could be one of the first. My doors wobble, too, so I have a feeling that's inherent to the "internal hinge" SR. I wound up disconnecting my latch setup since the doors had a bad tendency to catch if the buggy was parked anywhere near off-level. The actuators hold them pretty tight, but for safe keeping underway I've got a pair of rubber hold-downs as a backup. You can fiddle with the door fitment yourself - it's actually pretty easy after seeing what Tom (Kustoms) had posted about loosening up the bolts that hold the entire mechanism together and re-aligning the doors. It's just nuts and bolts - nothing to be scared about!
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-13 21:02
I'll have to check that out, 'cuz I'm not all that happy with the doors. I chatted with Tom one afternoon about hard tops. He has the mold, just not the inclination to manufacture them yet; said maybe this fall. I'd also like to get different seats. Got a sneakin' suspicion the ones currently mounted in my buggy are replacements. I love the seat covers; everyone does, but I'd like high-back seats. Tom said he has them (or will), as well. When finances permit, I'll call him back and talk about the top and seats.

I've got some hardside windows for the buggy, but they need new "glass" windows (plexi?), some sanding, and some paint. My buggy is painted with Dodge Viper Racing Yellow, which is very eye-catching, along with the black top and bumblebee seats. I also need to find out more about touching up the dings and chips. No rush, and I'm sure this is a great place for getting tips 'n tricks for fixing up a buggy.

I suckered in on an '87 VW Cabriolet after I bought the SR2. Come to find out it had been crunched pretty badly. Not a lot on it to salvage for parts, and the undercarriage needs some straightening here and there. It also needs a new top, struts, and a steering rack, but without straightening the rail, etc, there's no real point in doing the rest of the work. Sooo a quandry, what to do, what to do.
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-08-14 11:52
Great minds think alike. I sold my motorcycle to buy a nice little '85 Cabriolet. If you're cabby had been hit that bad...it really can't be saved. The rails are what provide the strength for the car, and I wouldn't trust straightening them. They are a dime a dozen here; the west coast should have quite a few.
  I'm working on my side windows, too. Mine originally had glass, but the rubber molding was so badly weathered that I'm switching to lexan and figuring out a way to make them open a little bit. They're rough, but it'll get there!
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-15 07:08
I talked with the local body guru; he's going to put it up on a rack and do a thorough check to see just how bad it is. I paid WAY too much, I know *kicking self* but I almost felt obligated to buy the darned thing. I need to get over that. :-) So we shall see just how bad the damage is. If Rick comes back and says it really isn't worth it, I'll...well, dunno what I'll do. I saw a later model VW Cabby for sale on Craigslist for $750, I think, and it sounded like it was in decent shape. I'll never get out of this poor puppy what I put into it already. If it can be fixed, it might be worth putting a few hundred into it. If not... *shrug* I'm not sure how to offload it. Heck, I don't even have the title yet. It'll be another month, at least.

Entered my SR2 into the Lewiston ID car show, but we shall see if I'm actually able to attend. I'd prefer to trailer my little buggy rather than drive it the 70-odd miles, but I don't own a trailer and am having a bit of a problem finding one to rent. Hoping U-Haul comes through for me; they're trying to find me one.

Thanks for the tip on the lexan windows. Now, if I can just get a hard top...
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-16 04:00
Hey Karen -

My SR doors wobble as well when opening, but I'm working on a change in the hinge design to beef up the pivot pin. I've also been (slowly) working on the electric solenoid to pull the latch & open the door. Will be adding gas struts to raise doors.

Bryan
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-16 04:53
Good news, Bryan! I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. I enjoy the heck out of my SR2, but some things could be...improved upon, know what I mean? ;-)

Karen
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-17 03:44
You MAY luck up & find a hardtop, but the unfortunate thing is that most of the tops come with cars attached underneath. I do know that Tijuana Tom has made some top molds, but last word from him was that top production will be a 'down the road' project... I can wait!

Bryan
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-08-17 12:39
:-) I lucked out and found a top on eBay several years ago. You could always have one fabricated - it's really nothing more than a flat piece of fiberglass with a lip for the front (to fit into the windshield frame) and a couple of gutters on the sides for the window frames to sit in. Any competant fiberglass guy could make one in a couple days.
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-17 19:43
Yeah, Tijuana Tom told me maybe this fall. *fingers crossed* I do have a soft top for it; need to replace a couple of snaps that pulled off.
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-17 19:47
Cool beans on the eBay find! I just joined the Walla Walla Cruisers, and I'm sure they can steer me in the direction of a good local fiberglass guy.

Sooo, trying to decide if I want to take the SR2 to Lewiston ID for the show this coming weekend. The boyfriend isn't all that interested in dealing with the biz of actually being in the car show, but I'm dragging his butt to Lewiston anyway for a couple days R&R. What I NEED is a car hauler-type trailer for shows farther than 30 miles or so. One sold recently on eBay; need to haunt it and Craigslist, I guess, for a good used trailer. New trailers are way out of my price range. :-(
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-08-17 20:09
Just get a Beetle towbar. Clamps onto the front beam with four U-bolts; very easy and compact, and you won't need to register it! Just make sure the SR is in neutral and any steering locks off before you pull it. Shame you just bought this car - I've been trying to sell mine for a couple months now with all the accesssories :-)
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-17 22:25
ARGH! Wouldn't you know it!
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-18 15:43
And I have a trailer for sale here on the East Coast that was designed & built specifically for hauling VW's...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=813746

Bryan
By Karen W 1757 Date 2009-08-18 21:14
Sigh. I'm on the West Coast, sort of; they call it the Inland Pacific Northwest in these parts. I thought I was far away from everything when I lived in El Paso. Hah! I didn't know I had it so good back there. :-)

Great price, BTW. Wish you were about 2500 miles closer!
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / Finding out mfr year on my Karma SR2 (19020 hits)