the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Jim's Super T Build (Page 3) (69875 hits)
1 2 3 Previous Next  
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-02 21:22 Edited 2010-04-07 01:34
Joe, they are the rims that came with the buggy when the previous owner built it back in 1970. They are American Racing Torque Thrust, 14x8's. It took a lot of time and elbow grease to get them to look good, but was well worth it.
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-09 01:08
I put over 80 miles on the Super T over the Easter weekend. Spent most of Sunday afternoon giving rides. However, the Generator is KaPut (?) and will have it rebuilt next week. All and all I am very please in the way it turned out and can't wait till this weekend.

I still need to adjust the tow-in and camber on the front.
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-28 02:22 Edited 2010-04-28 02:27
Found the perfect luggage rack for the Super T. I picked up a luggage rack from a 68-75 Corvette on eBay for a fair price and it fits perfect, even the fuel filler fits between the slats and I won't have to modify in any way. I also painted the rear deck with bed liner, which is recommended in the build manual. Too pooped tonight, so I'll mount it tomorrow night.

Kellison Jim
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-04-28 18:33
Jim that's sweet! It isn't often something will fit without modification like that. No you need to go garage sailing in that thing to look for an old steamer trunk or an old suitcase that will fit there. :-)

Jay
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-28 19:09
A restored antique Pepsi cooler would look great on the rack, the colors would match and you dont have to put pepsi in it, looks good Jim, boy I have taken a lot of those vette racks off and on in my life, are you using the rubber grommits with the bolt studs in them to mount it to the body of the buggy ?  Ken.........
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-28 22:23
I haven't taken a real good look at the hardware yet, but it did come with the original hardware. I was thinkin about mounting an old beer keg back there with the tap running to the cab. Heck, everyone will say "Isn't that cute, he's using an old keg for a fuel tank." Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Kellison Jim
By Dan C 2177 Date 2010-05-14 16:47
I had no idea that they had a liner for these ....Super !!!!

Did you make this???/
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-05-16 15:45
I got the luggage rack installed and I couldn't be any happier with the way it looks!!

Now to last nights OMG moment..
The other week I was having trouble with my idle speed and upon inspection I notice that the bracket that holds the arm where the throttle cable and linkage to the carbs all come together was broken at the base. This also holds the oil Breather and Filter. After having it welded up and re-installed I took it out for a cruise. It ran smoother than ever so I decided to cruise over to Centerville via I-675. Less than 5 minutes after getting off the interstate I hear a piece of metal hit the street, then another and then all of a sudden the whole left rear of the buggy drops about 4-6 inches. Holy Crap! I was only going about 10 mph in a plat so I stopped in the middle of the street and went in back to inspect. Everything looked great so I walked back to where I heard the pieces of metal hit the street. There I found three of the lug bolts that hold the rear wheel adapters on. So I walked over to guy I know and borrowed his floor jack and some tools to correct my problem. After removing the rear wheel, which was still securely attached to the wheel adapter I discovered only one loosely attached lug bolt was holding the wheel and adapter to the rear drum! Holy Crap! If that would of happened on the Interstate who knows what would of happened or even if it would of come all the way off at 10 mph, it still would have destroyed the rear fender. So after 15 minutes of repair I drove her home on the back roads and will remove all the wheels and nut and bolt her again.

Both rear hubs were leaking about 2 months back so I removed both rear wheels and adapters to tighten the center nut and must have not tighten the adapter plate properly. Moral of the story.. Nut and bold and recheck...

Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-16 23:12
ALLRIGHT can we nick name you LUG NUT ???  No never mind, after that plate of metal fell into the fan shroud of the scat motor on my Allison I will just call you LUCKY !!! Maby we could all go to the old  Indy style knock off wheels and only have one nut per wheel to keep tight, 4 are easier to remember to tighten than 40 with adapters and wheels. Glad you didnt tear up the buggy, hurt feeling are cheaper to repair than a hurt buggy.                Ken...............
By Kellison Jim Date 2010-05-16 23:46
"hurt feeling are cheaper to repair than a hurt buggy." Amen to that Ken, Amen to that!!
Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-05-17 16:23
That is THE rerason I F#$%^&*^ hate wheel adapters. I don't care what anyone says. THEY ARE A BAD IDEA. Todd just put a pair on his buggy (being cheap) and they are NOWHERE near centered the car shakes so bad he can't drive it

I'm very glad you didn't have this happen at speed!!!!!!!!

brad
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-05-18 11:48
Jim, glad this all happened at a low speed. Another great reason for a "shakedown" cruise at low speed. At least you weren't hurt!

Jay
By Kellison Jim Date 2012-01-05 02:37
I just noticed that I never posted the finished project. I wonder what ever happened to her?

Kellison Jim
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Jim's Super T Build (Page 3) (69875 hits)
1 2 3 Previous Next