the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / State by State Dune Buggy registration info ... / Connecticut title, registration, and license (33273 hits)
By John S 2 Date 2009-07-10 22:17
Connecticut title, registration, and license experiences posted in this thread
John Shepard the DBA
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-07-11 02:50
I have my buggy registered as a Composite (kit car) and Geico is the insurer

By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2009-07-11 12:44 Edited 2012-05-15 13:50
Connecticut is not a fun state to register a dune buggy in, but it can be done if you are prepaired.  As Jay stated above, to do it legaly, you must register a buggy as a composite.  If you do not, and insure it otherwize, when you need the insurance the most, they may deny the claim because the vehicle was mis-represented.

Now that the reason for the composite is out of the way, I will get into the specifics of how to do the resistration.  1st thing to do is go to the main DMV office in Weathersfield, CT and get the current handout of rules for Composite Motor Vehicles.  Use this as the absolute guide, take no shortcuts!  Besides the common sense stuff like working lights and wipers, there are some other requests they will be looking for.  Things like a steel firewall between the gas tank and passenger compartment that should be done as the car is being built, not after it is done.  DOT approved headlights only, proper seat belt mounting and side reflectors (stick on OK).  Without the rules, you will not know everything they want.  They are in control that day, so do what they want, afterwards, go home and put the car back they way you want it and keep everything you take off, so you can have it in case you get caught and have to go back for a re-inspect (not likely, but possible). 

We got around the covered engine by using chicken wire.  We made temporary mud flaps of off the rear bumper mounts.  Another problem area can be the windshield marking.  It must say AS1 somewhere on the glass, or no regisration.  Another tip, make a nice looking, clean car.  If it looks like a junk, they may think is is a junk.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and well done.  Be polite, it is thier day, after you jump through thier hurdles, make the car the way you want it.

After building the car to their specs, go for the inspection.  They only do it in Weathersfield, and they don't want to try to do it at the end of the day, so go early in the AM (maybe they are less cranky then).  You will have to trailer or flatbed the car to get it there.  They don't want it on the road until they check it out.  They will want to see paperwork for the major parts so they know they are not stolen.  Bring as may build receipts as possible.  If you pass, they will issue a VIN starting with CT and 5 digits.  Talk to your insurance company prior to all this so you know you can get insurance. We have Amica insurance.   After you have the new VIN, go to your insurance company, get the insurance card and go back to DMV with proof of insurance and get the registration paperwork done.  As of July, 2007, composites do not have go for emmisions tests.  Prior to that they had to pass 1968 requirements.

Sorry for the long post, but this is only some of the information you will need.  I have done 2 composites, and am working on the 3rd and went through this with both cars, it can be done.  I hope I have helped you.  If you have questions, just ask.  Updated 5/15/12.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By GreenMeanie Date 2009-07-19 00:21
I have to ask what do they say when you show up with Chicken Wire to cover the engine?
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2009-07-19 03:19
They don't seam to mind the chicken wire, it is the flimsy temporary mud flaps that get the comments.  We just stand there and think to ourselfs "it only has to last the trailer trip here and home".  I think they know it is only temporary, but they can only inspect what they see that day.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Glenn K 1351 Date 2010-02-01 13:38
Registering a Manx in CT that was previously registered for the road in another state is a bit easier.  Our manx was originally registered in CA.  When I registered it again in VA I had no problem.  I just wanted the personalized plate because we trailered it to autocrosses.  Va. finally wrote me saying I had to have at least liability insurance to have a plate.  I couldn't find/or didnt want insurance, the events had SCCA insurance coverage.  So I surrendered the "HOTMANX" plate, keeping one for my collection.  Moved to C T and rewired, and updated the manx for the street.  Got State Farm to insure it as a Meyers Manx.  Went to the DMV and had my pink, old registrations etc.  Had plates in my hands when she says "wait a minute, this car is from out of state, you will need to bring it in for a VIN verification".  So close. 
Couldn't find the vin we had stamped in the tunnel in 65 in CA.  Went to Wal-Mart and made a vin plate from the dog tag machine, drilled another hole in the dog tag, pop riveted it onto the tunnel (at which time I found the lightly stamped letters)painted it black to match the pan color, rubbed dirt on the tag to make it look like it had been there for years.
No smog, no safety because of the age.  Would have passed those, but the composite rules didn't apply to me for the engine cover and wheel flaps. 

Would like to mention the following.  When driving a tiny, fiberglass dune buggy around the streets consider it a motorcycle.  You have no protection.  I drive to the right of the middle line, probably 4 feet to the right of it.  I anticipate all cars coming from side streets, expecting them to cut me off, turn in front of me or do some other stupid thing.  DRIVE DEFENSIVELY!! You have no protection.  Be safe!

By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2010-07-08 15:15 Edited 2010-07-08 20:14
I just went to CT DMV to get the latest copy of "Composite Motor Vehicles" rules to help me build the new Kick-Out SS legally (at least for that one day).  They have been changed (12/04) slightly since we did the Manxter in May of 2004.  I was also told by the inspector that they no longer require the Thursday only, inspection by appointment only, for composites.  He said you just have to be there before 3:00 because they CLOSE! at 4:00.  There is still no temporary plate, so the vehicle must be trailered.  Some things in Government do change for the better!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-07-10 02:37
Wow. Tom, I was JUST thinking about this today. I did get a copy of the rules and have read them thoroughly. I was thinking about it today, because if all goes well, I'll be moving into a house I'm buying in Rhode Island and will  need to study up on their laws on kit cars or whatever it is that RI calls them. :-)

By stressfree s 2527 Date 2011-01-04 21:42
i have one.heres what it says.
---Composite Vehicles
A composite motor vehicle is defined by statute as "Any motor vehicle, composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a manufacturer licensed as such in the State of Connecticut is classified as a composite motor vehicle."

Before a composite vehicle can be registered, the following requirements must be met:

* Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection. All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield inspection lane.

Hours of inspection are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Note: all lanes will be closed from noon to 1 p.m.)

Note: Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer.

* All composite vehicles are exempt from an emissions test.

* Bring the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component parts or one Title, plus receipts, for the parts of the other vehicles used. If the parts are from used vehicles, make sure the receipts specify the vehicle identification number (VIN). No Title is needed for non-major component parts (examples of major parts are: engine, cowls, transmission, frame, doors, trunk lid, front and rear fenders and quarter panels).

* An Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle (form R-95) must be completed and be accompanied by two photographs of the vehicle as well as supporting documents showing proof of ownership. An Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (form H-13) must also be completed.

* At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."

The current inspection fee is $88 and a fee of $50 is charged for the assignment of a VIN.

Effective August 1, 2008 all composite vehicles (except motorcycles) presented for a composite inspection will be required to be equipped with the following emissions systems based on the year of manufacture of the engine used in construction.

Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection.

Note: This requirement will not apply to vehicles with engines purchased prior to August 1, 2008. Documented proof of engine year and purchase date must still be provided at time of inspection.

All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after):

Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 - 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 - 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-01-04 23:02
We live in CT and had 2 composite vehicles.  The titles look like a normal title, but the VIN is a CT vin ( CTXXXXX ).  The vin is a sticker that is applied at the DMV after a sucessful inspection.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By stressfree s 2527 Date 2011-01-04 23:43
question i have the sticker on dash that says vin ctxxxx but the title says 1977 volkeswagon bettle ok with that dune buggy dealer trying to get me to reregister it as a kit car.if it is a ct it is reconstructed correct.title also has the ct xxxx vin number.i should be good to go.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-06 14:31
Since it is greater than 10 years old, you won't even need the title, just the bill of sale.
I would get the seller to sign a bill of sale using the vin CTxxxx and you'll be all set.

I used "composite" (kit car) as make, "dunebuggy" as model and "convertable" as body style.
Since I already had the CTxxxx myself, there was no need to go to Wethersfield and do the long drawn out process of inspections.

Registering it was a straight forward deal.

Registering your buggy as a dunebuggy eliminates the possibility for the insurance company to deny a claim since they are insuring a dune buggy as opposed to a beetle.

By stressfree s 2527 Date 2011-01-06 23:24
hi jay i got a clean ny title.i am transfering it into a pa title.only thing i had to do is get an inspection station verifie a vin # on far as insuriance im only getting seems like a 77 bettle is easier to get insured than a dune far a i read a composite title is a car that has been altered but still is that if i put a new frame underneath now its a kit.make sence.i guess it went from ct to ny,now to pa.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-07 03:24
Ahh, Now I see. Well, I know some people that would pay a few bucks to have that CT vin sticker let me tell you! :-)

Good luck with your reg in PA... I know nothing about that state as far as reg goes. :-(

By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-01-07 12:35
Jay - you're not asking somebody to do something illegal are you?  LOL  One thing you have to watch out for if someone tries that, is that when the composite vehicle is registered, you are required to submit several pictures.  Conceivably, they could go back and compare the pictures and catch the "switch".  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2011-01-07 16:26
Tom, I would never do that! :-) now that I'm living in rhode island, the number of interested people that I know is down to one fella! :-)

its been painted and upgraded through the years would probably work for all the clones. As long as we're not talking a tbucket to a manx that is.

Ok, enough of me working around "the man".

By stressfree s 2527 Date 2011-01-07 22:23
i live near hazleton pa probley see it in the news.25% of all the residents who live hear are illegal and none of them have a licence or insurance or tags.why do we beat our selfs up ith the law book. our buggys are safer than half the cars on the road.just my 2 cents.
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-06-01 16:57
Well CT DMV is the most difficult place to deal with!!
I need all the help and prayers you guys can give me!!
We have a dune Buggy that i bought from South Carolina.
The previouse owner had it composite inspection and registered  and tagged by SC DMV as the following.
Make: Custom
Model: SCDMV
year: 2007
Body Style: Dnebug
Title: Y ( they issued one in SC and one in CT)
Serial number was assinned as SCDMV xxxxxxxxx so it has a number when inspected in SC
CT made me go get vin verification in weathersfield. I had to tow it down and the guys looked at it made me put mud flaps on and fender flare extentions and so on because since it was inspected and registered out of state they could only make me do what  they saw wrong. They said since it was registered in another state this is all they could do. I also had to show them it was registered in SC and prove it by giving them the plate number it had which fourtunatly i had the number from a picture and they actually went on SC Dmv to prove it.
I did all they asked towed it back and they said ok stamped my paper and i registered it.
Now i receive in the mail yesterday emissions form. I am told i have to go to emmisions but being a composite i am supposed to be exempt. I receive this emissions form for testing 2 years later........
Called DMV they said it was not catagorized as composite now in order to do that i have to go through the whole composite  testing and inspection!!!!!!!!
I asked if they can switch paperwork and was told no.
I am going to find all my paperwork and go down in person but i am told unless it is changed or i have it pass current emmisions they will suspend my registration.
I did all they wanted and now i have to go through instection.
I was also given the name of a LT Baio to call and discuss this with him and knowing my luck he will pull my registration.
Anyone go through something like this?
Any Suggestions??
Not very happy
Let me know your thoughts
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-06-01 17:31
You are better off having the car registered as a composite, because that is what it is, and it will get you out of the emissions loop. 

All I can suggest is to go to DMV (or online) and get a copy of the composite rules before you bring the car back.  Knowing what they want will save you another trip.  Go through the rules with a "fine tooth comb" because they will do the same with your car.  You may have some major issues like needing a steel "firewall" between the gas tank & passenger compartment or no AS1 marking on the windshield.  If you bring your copy of their rules with everything checked off, they will know you are serious about getting it right.

Don't mind adding the mudflaps and stuff, you can remove that after you pass.  If you have any other questions, send me a PM and we can talk.

Good luck!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-06-02 23:15 Edited 2011-06-02 23:44
Tom thanks for the info. I think I am going to make a trip to DMV in person to discuss in weathers field  because I had it there twice and they verified it was already done in sc. If I catch them in a good mood they may just switch it. They can look and seek sc DMV. Our ride is safe and the only thing that could be an issue is the fire wall and the mud flaps etc. They never made me put wire over engine back then and afraid they may now which bothers me".......    All depends on mood they are in.  Thanks and I may want to talk to you sometime for advice on DMV. I appreciate your help
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-06-03 00:27
Glad to help.  PM sent.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2013-01-25 22:11
The CT Composite Vehicle DMV rules are now available online.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
Previous Next Up Topic Public / State by State Dune Buggy registration info ... / Connecticut title, registration, and license (33273 hits)

Powered by mwForum 2.10.2 © 1999-2007 Markus Wichitill