the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy ID Help needed - X-Files / Porsche 356 Buggy (4279 hits)
By Cameron F 1615 Date 2009-06-20 00:30
I found some close buggy's on your site but not an exact match to the buggy I just purchased.  It was built in 1980 using a rolled 63 Porsche Super 90.  Most of the buggy is 356 Porsche except for the full length bug pan and bus transmission.  Any idea who the body builder is?

By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-06-20 02:39
Don't know the body. But a word of advise. Sell all the Super 90 stuff for a huge amount of money and replace it with high performance VW stuff that will cost WAAAYYYY less to fix when it breaks. My buddy Todd the VW restorer sold the brake drums off a 356 coupe he's rat rodding (you heard right) and paid for a disk brake conversion on all 4 corners with Porsche bolt pattern. He sold the tranny and bought a Berg 5-speed conversion. If the motor is in good running order it's almost worth it's weight in gold, both to sell and to fix. Or, keep it together, maintain the he)( out of it and enjoy a really cool ride. Should really PO 356 guys.....!!!!!!

My $.02
Sweet Ride

brad
By Cameron F 1615 Date 2009-06-20 06:30
Brad,
I've always liked Meyer's Buggy's and I'm a early 911 guy so that's why I bought it.  I imagine the bits will end up in a Speedster replica at some point.  It's using the 356 column, drum brakes, seats, gauges and wiring harness.  The guy that built it has a huge car collection that I got to view about 5 years ago (I haven't been able to talk to him about it yet).  He sold it to a friend in the early 80's and that's who I bought it from.  The friend thought it was a Manx body but it obviously isn't.  The builders cousin rolled his Super 90 in 1978 and that was the basis for the project.  The motor was rebuilt at the same time.
Regards,
Cameron
By Sandsurfer Date 2009-06-20 11:15
Keep the buggy as is with the classic Porsche parts. I don't know why everybody wants to part out somebody else's hard work to create more work. The Porsche parts on the buggy are part of it's heritage and will make it stand out from all the other buggys at a show.
The S90 brakes perform every bit as well as disc brakes on a buggy. If the engine is in good shape it will outlast any VW T1 engine and perform well.
I vote for keeping it unique.
Jerry....
By Cameron F 1615 Date 2009-06-20 14:08
Jerry,
I'm going to keep it the way it is for the time being.  The 356 seats don't fit well with the body so the seats and the gold mesh BBS wheels (with spacers) are the only things that are getting changed.  I can't wait to take it to a Porsche event!  I've told a few R Gruppe guys about it and about 50% get it and the other 50% think I'm nuts.  Any idea on the body builder? 
Cameron
P.S The toyota tail lights are getting thrown away, I just ordered some 356 B tear drop repros.

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-06-20 16:14 Edited 2009-06-20 16:16
Is this a long body or a short body. The side shot almost looks like it's stretched just in front of the rear fender.

Never mind... I just re-read your original post.

I do like the way they stretched the body just in front of the rear fenders. Typically stretching was done along the sill, which due to the compound angles, made a quality finished product difficult to do. Typically stretching a body beside the seats looks like a hack job.

This body is unique where it was lengthened if you ask me.

Jay
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-06-20 16:19
Is it me, or does the hood appear to have some lineage to Allied Industries Leap-Frog? Just the profile from the side.... I could be wrong.

Jay
By glassbuggy Date 2009-06-20 17:34 Edited 2009-06-20 17:37
This is a body produced by Action products. They were in the Portland Oregon area. They had both the shortend wheelbase as well as the full length body. Pilot Rick id'd this body for us several years ago, I guess they were local to him. Wonder where he is lately?
Bart

here's one from the files :

Attachment: a1a.bmp (351.6k)
By Cameron F 1615 Date 2009-06-20 19:31
Bart,
Thanks for the ID.  That makes sense, it was built in Portland and still resides here.  It spent a decade or so in Hawaii and then came home a few years back.  I'll post photos when it is completed.
Thanks,
Cameron
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy ID Help needed - X-Files / Porsche 356 Buggy (4279 hits)