the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Dune Runner aka Road Runner and Fun Runner (10992 hits)
By glassbuggy Date 2009-04-21 15:37 Edited 2009-04-21 16:01
I started this thread for owners of these bodies.
To start off a little history is in order. Dune Buggy Enterprises gave their bodies the moniker Road Runner but for obvious legal reasons (Chrysler and Warner Brothers) Dune Runner became the name everyone knows these bodies by. Fun Runner is a little cloudy, same bodies but at one time when asked the owners claimed they weren't affiliated. Until recently Fun Runner was selling bodies at the Pomona Swap meets in California. I have to fact check  this as I lost some of my info - particularly on Fun Runner. If you know more, please chime in.
Bart
By glassbuggy Date 2009-04-21 15:57
I am trying to locate sidepods for a Dune Runner. I would like to make some reproductions so if you know of a set - even damaged I can get these available again.
tks Bart

Attachment: vintagefibgl1.jpg (110.7k)
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-04-22 11:02
That there is a homely front end....
By shakey Date 2009-04-24 07:50
Hey Glass if you are going to make one set of side pods how much would it cost to make a second set?
By glassbuggy Date 2009-04-30 05:00
no idea, never did it before :-)
First we have to find a set so keep your eyes peeled.
By glassbuggy Date 2009-06-24 14:49
T bird f/s on the samba  (hacked but it is what it is)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=805429
By glassbuggy Date 2011-10-20 20:32
Whoot Whoot   didn't think I could ever find a pair but !!!
Took forever to make the deal but they are finally home
Go Wonderbug!

Attachment: dunerun.jpg (857.3k)
By Bob P 2855 Date 2011-11-07 03:02 Edited 2011-11-07 18:42
Glassbuggy,

Do I understand that you located Side Pods for your original Road Runner.

I have one I bought as a kit in San Diego in mid '68 and have been driving it ever since. (43 years)
I am about to re-metal flake it and basically redo it. I would like to find a set of Side Pods for my
shortened Chassis. The reason I bought it initially was the fact that it has the low side entry.
None of the others we saw out West back then had the low entry. This is a great little car and back
in the early 70's I used to enter it in the Rod & Custom Shows. My wife and I took it out the
"Mother Road" Rt 66 to the Oklahoma Indian Territory for our 40th anniversary and
then the Southern Ozarks back to our home in NW Ohio.  Total 2,200 miles in 9 days.
All back roads, really cool.

Attachment: LilBugger1958.docx (160.1k)
By glassbuggy Date 2011-11-08 01:43
Bob, It has been in my thoughts that if I were to find a set that I would see about having some molds made up so they can be reproduced. Now that I located a pair and have them in hand I am trying to find out what's involved in doing that. I don't think it will be anytime soon but it is on the back burner. That Buggy of yours is really sweet, where did you get the body from orriginally ?
Bart
By Bob P 2855 Date 2011-11-09 00:56
I bought the body, hood, side panels and a turtle top back in June of 1968 in Southern San Diego. My young wife and I had three (3) little boys, (ages 6, 4 & 3) on a Vacation to visit family. As soon as I saw my very first Dune Buggy, my heart jumped right up into my throat. I was 29 yrs old and we didn't have much money and there were no credit cards, ATM machines or bank account to rely on, so we started pulling cash from our Travelers Checks and money envelopes to come up with the $538.00 for the kit. We then had to rent an enclosed U-Haul trailer (for $53.00) and had to hang the body up on it's side, diagonally inside the trailer just to get it to fit in. I bought a roll of Clothesline Rope from a hardware and we had to stop every 200 miles or so to change the rope as the body was cutting through it. We pulled it approximately 2,500 miles, across the desert, through the Rocky Mountains and all the way back to NW Ohio where we dropped the trailer off at a U-Haul.

I initially bought a 1958 VW Beatle (donor car) with a 36 hp engine, 6 volt. Over the years I have installed 5-6 engines and am currently  running a rebuilt 1600 stocker, Solex Pict 34 carb. All stock. Runs like a dream but I am going to refinish the body this winter. We get around 40 mpg cruising.

It's been over 43 years of driving joy. I don't remember the name of the dealer where I got the body but there were many DB bodies displayed on the sidewalk in front of the place and they looked like Easter Eggs.  But, there were Dune Buggies all over San Diego. And I'd never seen nor heard of them before.

Thanks for the info on the pods. I definitely want a set some day.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / Dune Runner aka Road Runner and Fun Runner (10992 hits)